Invocation

When did Brandon obliterate you?

76 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh gosh, there’s a lot. I’ll just list them as they come to me (a lot of these have been mentioned by others). [MEGA SPOILERS]

• When Kaladin is remembering how Tien died. Everything building up to that was just so good, and then Tien’s death came, and wow. This scene was the only time a book has ever made me truly cry. Like, I’ve teared up a little reading other books before, but I full out cried when Tien died. I just felt Kaladin’s pain so much, because I already really relate to him. Tien’s death had me thinking about my own little brother and that just made the crying worse. Definitely one of the most emotional cosmere scenes ever. Plus, everything that happens afterward with Kaladin choosing to save Dalinar and all that.
  • Kelsier’s death. ‘Nuff said.
  • The entire Kholinar battle up to Elhokar’s death. Like others have said, that death shook me so hard. Right when Elhokar was starting to become a better person, right when he was about to swear the first ideal, Moash comes out of nowhere and kills him. I’ve never hated someone more in my entire life. Also, seeing Kaladin deal with the effects of that while the group is Shadesmar really resonated with me. It was also cool to see Adolin help him.
  • The end of Hero of Ages. God damnation.
  • I AM UNITY. That entire buildup where you’re not sure if Dalinar will succumb to Odium or not is just so good.
  • Wax killing Lessie (again).
  • When Vin killed the Lord Ruler. I was not expecting that in the first book of the trilogy, and that scene was just so epic.
  • The epic duel in WoR. That was so cool, and there’s that amazing quote. “Honor is dead, but I’ll see what I can do.”
  • Szeth and Kaladin’s battle at the end of WoR. That was epic, and I had been waiting all of WoK and WoR to see surgebinders really go at it like in that battle.

A lot of these are from Stormlight. Coincidence? I think not.

Your list is almost comprehensive. I am impressed.

The moment in part three of Oathbringer when Hoid comes to Shallan and they do the "girl who stood up thing." It was so awesome! That's when Hoid became my favorite character. 

13 minutes ago, Brassweaver19 said:

The moment in part three of Oathbringer when Hoid comes to Shallan and they do the "girl who stood up thing." It was so awesome! That's when Hoid became my favorite character. 

OH, I can’t believe I forgot to add this to my list!

Skyward

Spoiler

"Biological component activated. Cytonic hyperdrive online."

Also, Hurl's death.

Lastly, 

"I dove."

There are just so many moments from Brandon's books that hit me.  I am quite an emotional reader. : )

• Mistborn era 1: (A little context, this was my first Brandon series)
Spoiler
  • Kelsier's death - The only characters I truly liked in my first read through at this point were Breeze, Elend, and Kelsier.  So having Kelsier die was a big deal, especially to save Elend, another character I loved.  But I really didn't expect Kelsier to do something that selfless.
  • Ruin's Escape - The subtle implications that something was wrong here went completely over my head.  They kept building and building until Sazed finally figured it out, but it was too late.  And the prophecy that they thought was to save the world actually led them to destroying it.  Marsh's turn on the hero showed that this was going to be really really bad.  After reading the words "I am free" I just started laughing from just how sudden everything dawned on me, and everything made sense.  It took me about 15 minutes to stop laughing and saying "no way" or "that's not possible" out loud.
  • Elend's Death - I loved this character, and I definitely didn't expect him to die.
  • Sazed's Ascension - At that point, this was the most awesome moment I had ever had reading a book.  I had just stopped crying from Elend's death, and I started up again with Sazed.  The revelation that they were trying to force the prophecy on another the whole time... I still start crying when I reread this.
  • Reckoners:
Spoiler
  • Phaedrus Turning Evil - Prof was my favorite character, and I knew he could turn, and I could see it was going to happen.  That didn't stop it from hitting me that it actually did happen.  I thought at least part of the real prof would bleed through, and at least he would be holding hostages... Nope.
  • Prof joining David against Calamity - I thought they were going to have to kill prof, and this moment of him claiming his powers, and facing his Weakness was a really big deal to me.
  • Way of Kings:
Spoiler
  • That moment of Dalinar summoning Oathbringer for the first time brought tears to my eyes.  It was just so epic.
  • When Kaladin didn't jump into the Honor Chasm.  This is something that hit me pretty hard, and with him making a full 180 of being done with life to trying to help others...
  • When Kaladin was betrayed by Amaram.  I knew something like this was coming, but in no way did I expect it to be quite so brutal.
  • Kaladin swearing the second ideal.  He broadens his mind to not just protecting his immediate circle, but now an extended one as well.
  • Dalinar giving up his shardblade for a ragtag group of bridge-men.

Finding out Jasnah was Radient surprised me as well... She just doesn't seem to agree with the "Journey before Destination" mentality.

• Words of Radiance:
Spoiler
  • The 4 vs 3 duel.  The hard truth that everyone there was really out to get Adolin.
  • Adolin sitting in the dungeons while Kal was there.
  • Kal giving up his second set of shards
  • Moash's betrayal - I really thought Moash was bound to be Kal's right hand man...
  • Kal swearing the 3rd ideal.  Standing up against a losing battle.  Journey before Destination.
  • Realizing that Dalinar was going to die on the shattered plains.
  • Realizing Dalinar was not going to die on the shattered plains.
  • Oathbringer
Spoiler
  • Venli protecting Timbre.  I for a while thought Venli was going to try to leverage her role with Odium as much as possible, but she took a different route.
  • Elhokar's death was REALLY hard to read - Kal realizing that individuals on his side aren't worth protecting more than individuals on the other side. Plus Elhokar just becoming AWESOME. I mean, not an edgedancer, but still...
  • Finding out the humans were the voidbringers really surprised me.  I binge read stormlight archive, so I was completely unaware of the theories or anything.
  • Jasnah not killing Renarin.  I 100% thought Jasnah was going to kill him.  It seems she has been around Kal too much lately?

I cried from that moment on through the rest of the book pretty much.

Kelsier, Vin and Elend dying hit me hard at the time of reading them. 

Shadows of Self's ending was pretty hard-hitting too. 

Kaladin's stand against Moash to protect the King in WoR.

Kaladin's epic rescue of the Kholins in WoK.

The reveal at the end of WoK about the Voidbringers and Parshendi.

-Syl bringing Kaladin poisonous leaves

-Conversation between Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms; "She smiled anyways"

These two were for me simultaneously the most unexpected and the most touching scenes I've read... ever

Ok he broke me many, many, many, (maaanyyy) times, but as Mistborn was my first Sanderson, definitely hit que hardest.

Kelsier death and the church of the survivor was the first blow, but the ending of the 1st era series, as the topic accurately says, obliterated me.

When it was revealed in Bands of Mourning that Kelsier had somehow been resurrected. I didn't read Mistborn: Secret History until after I had read the Bands of Mourning, so I didn't understand what had happened.

*puts tongue back in cheek* When he named a character "Obliteration" :ph34r:

The ending of HoA. The entire ending. Especially what happened with Vin and Elend. Then opening up AoL and finding out Spook got to be Mistborn was a shocker as well.

On 30/10/2018 at 1:46 AM, LevenThumps said:

Emotionally, the biggest moment for me is Elhokar's death

I totally agree, that whole PAGE was just a massive bloodbath, luckily though, he was the only major carachter to be killed off in that scene, but still, it came as a massive shock!

Also Tien's death, although somewhat expected, was heartbreaking to read with the helplessness and theloss written between the lines it truly made for a powerful scene.

Edited by King_of_the_Dark_Lands

When Kaladin thought that Syl had died in Words of Radiance, I had to stop. 

I don't like to skip ahead, but I flipped through pages until I could see her saying something, then I could rest sufficiently to continue reading. 

For me I think it would be those times when he concentrates the entire story in a single sentence. It's the most epic thing you can do with a book.

Hero of Ages:

Spoiler

"You see, he was the only reason I had left to live"

and

The Emperor's Soul:

Spoiler

"It was the greatest work of art he had ever witnessed."

are the ones that come to mind right now.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:36 PM, Ripheus23 said:

*puts tongue back in cheek* When he named a character "Obliteration" :ph34r:

Y'know I should have expected that.

For me, I think the most emotionally difficult scene for me was the one where Elend was killed, just because it didn’t really seem necessary. That and I really liked Elend as a character.

One of my favorite moments and one that I found was just amazing was during Oathbringer when Shallan was huddled in an abandoned house and Wit told her the story of the girl who looked up. I thought it was a great way to bring that story back around and give it a whole new meaning and it was emotionally fitting. Especially with what Wit said to her afterwards.

I also really liked when Adolin was outnumbered in the duel and Dalinar begged for anyone to help him and it was only Kaladin that stood up for him.

And another great one was when Kelsier just lost his army and he's sitting down and starts hatching his new plan. Honestly the way Sanderson delivered that really sold me on his writing and made me just want to read every single one of his books.

Sorry for so many but those are the ones I always go back to when I think about rereading something.

Lightsong, I just like him as a character. Then boom that's it for him.

Although his arc/action is understandable, and the audience is made aware why it had to happen, I still want more of him.

Edited by scudalarm

Alendi's Journal, Elend and Vin's death, Leras' sacrificial plan

Kaladin with Tien, the Bridgeruns, the truth about the Heralds

Vivenna's sudden destitution

The line of execution near the finale of Elantris

There has to be a support group for this stuff now. Obliterators Anonymous.

the saddest moment was when Roshone put Tien on the list to be conscripted, and his family's reaction, especially Lirin's reaction. The sense of helplessness was too much, especially knowing that Kaladin would fail to protect Tien. the happiest moment was at the beginning of Oathbringer, when Kaladin is going home, I was expecting his family to have been killed, and when he got there and found them alive, I felt like things could be okay, and that Kaladin could maybe be happy again.

For me, the saddest moment was when the singers that Kaladin befriended and Bridge 4 were slaughtering each other. Elhokar's death just didn't matter as much to me for some reason, but I loved those singers. The best moments are everything Hoid. And Wayne. And Lightsong. 

Edited by Coda
Typo

Trying to keep spoilers down:

Pretty much anything to do with Vasher. Or when you find out who is Vasher, and you are confused.

When Rlain showed up as a parshendi.

When larkins play a large role.

When the aviars do their magic, at least the ones that don't shield

When Wayne finds the BoM and calls it wood

When Kelsier (insert basically anything smart/ stupid)

When Raoden interferes at just the right time

When people turn out to be Nazh

When people turn out to be Hoid (not sure why I thought of Nazh first. Maybe I'm just accepting that he could be any new character that meddles.)

When Wit does useful stuff

When Dalinar and Szeth meet but neither dies/ fights.

When Moash, yeah. When Moash. Nothing else that I can say to keep spoilers away. *Spoilerspren form with spoilers

When Wit just says Adonsalium when I'm rereading the Cosmere for a second time.

Ends of books (no more whens)

Metals being used in cool ways (excited for next Mistborn books)

Aluminum

Godking not being a real ruler 

Non cosmere:

Steelheart's weakness is found

David turns out to be __ ____

Legion Lies of the Beholder 

Prof

Calamity even being there

Prob others. RAFO

Edited by GoWibble

Dalinar getting back up.

Shallan's revelations

The rise of the Ascendant Warrior

Sazed's unification.

Ham coming to a conclusion.

Edited by Karger

Kaladin breaking down in front of his parents.

Shallan's encounter with Wit in Kholinar after breaking down. (This was the first time I actually liked Shallan).

The epilogue of The Emperor's Soul brought out some tears.

The end of Elantris in which Sarene calls Heathen their savior, a completion to his thoughts earlier.

Reading any of these still bring me to tears.

Edited by Knight Oblivion