When did Brandon obliterate you?

Invocation

Way of Kings: Kaladin one-man destroying the Parshendi to save Dalinar, also his squad murdered by Amaram and Helaran

Words of Radiance: Kaladin swearing the Third Ideal, fighting Szeth, crashing down onto the ground in a puff of Stormlight before fighting Szeth, Dalinar floating down, Nightblood at the end, Jasnah Elsecalling to Hoid

Oathbringer: Dalinar capturing the Thrill, the "I am Unity" moment, screaming "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN" and swearing his Ideal(s?), Hoid getting the Cryptic, Elhokar's death, Kaladin showing Hearthstone he's a Shardbearer

Mistborn (all): Kelsier's death, Sazed rescuing Vin, Vin killing TLR, Kelsier Ascending, Sazed Ascending, Preservation (Fuzz) dying, Spook and everything with him and Ruin and Kelsier

Elantris: Raoden restoring Elantris, Galladon and all the other Elantrians appearing to save Teod, Hrathen saving Sarene, Adien joining the Hoed

Warbreaker: The King basically exploding with power, Vasher being Warbreaker

These all give me chills every time I read it (and I've read Stormlight at least three times), How is Brandon so GOOD at this?

3 hours ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

Dalinar capturing the Thrill, the "I am Unity" moment, screaming "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN" and swearing his Ideal(s?)

Just one. There were no tricks, per WOB:

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

source

Moments that made me: Crying GIF - Pikachu Pokemon Sad GIFs  

Elhokar's death, Wax killilng Lessie (x2), Sazed's words about Vin in HoA, Dalinar and "I forgive you.", Dockson's final scene (I'm not sure why, it just gets me), Hoid with Shallan when she was young and he gets her to lightweave, Taln's reaction to hearing from Ash that it has been 4000 years

Moments that made me: Jim The Office What Is Going On GIF - WhatsGoingOn TheOffice Jim GIFs (but in the best way possible)

Wayne shooting Wax's sister in the face, finding out Reen's voice has been Ruin the whole time, FREAKIN NIGHTBLOOD AT THE END OF WoR!!, Hoid becoming a lightweaver, Dalinar (pseudo)Ascending, Odium showing up during the visions....

I'm sure there are more, those are just what I have off the top of my head.

Wow, lets just say that someone who has never read the books had better not look at this thread.  So. Many. Spoilers.  Anyway, the moment that hit me the hardest was [spoiler/]kelsiers death[spoiler/].  Like it really hit me hard.  I almost started crying.

Edit: Darn, how do you do spoilers?

Edited by Kaladin78
Not wanting to double post

1 minute ago, Kaladin78 said:

Wow, lets just say that someone who has never read the books had better not look at this thread.  So. Many. Spoilers.  Anyway, the moment that hit me the hardest was [spoiler/]kelsiers death[spoiler/].  Like it really hit me hard.  I almost started crying.

Yeah, as someone who hasn't read Oathbringer yet, I'm mostly ignoring this thread.

On 3-11-2018 at 1:46 AM, Kaladin78 said:

[ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ] but without the spaces.

Alternatively (at least on PC) use this button at the top of the reply box:

Shard spoiler tag.png

Edited by Leyrann

I initially read Mistborn Era 1 before moving onto Stormlight. In Mistborn, it was Kelsier's "death" scene that has stuck with me since then. I remember absolutely loving this revolutionary character that was the driving force behind the Skaa and then he just died in the fight with the Lord Ruler. I was actually looking to read the next 2 in the hopes that he came back but was disappointed in that sense.

I read Stormlight thereafter. Got through Way of Kings chapters 1-10 and could not get into it. Tried again a few years later and was hooked, must have been my taste at the time. Got to the Kaladin and Adolin fight in the battle arena and there were just so many moments there that cemented the Cosmere as my greatest fantasy series.

WoK 

Spoiler

Kaladin realizes that Sadeas betrayed Dalinar and sees Syl full-sized "Kaladin turned to survey his men, and was shocked to see someone standing beside him. A woman of translucent white light ... She stared eastward, her expression horrified, eyes wide and sorrowful. It was the face of a child watching a brutal murder that stole her innocence"

Kaladin deciding to help Dalinar "We have to go back"

Dalinar giving up his blade "For the bridgemen." 

OB

Spoiler

When Dalinar walks into the gap in the wall facing down the army by himself and then he hears "So, what's the plan?" and see Lift beside him. I knew he was going to be OK. 

The end of Hero of Ages completely wrecked me, I cried so hard reading that the first time. Also Tien's death in WoK, that was really, really hard on me. For a non-crying moment it was Odium showing up in Oathbringer. I totally didn't think we would we Odium until Book 5 maybe the back Five if Brandon really wanted to push it back, so I think I had to re-read the scene where Odium reveals himself to Dalinar at least twice because I just didn't believe it was happening.

When I read Way of Kings, I had no idea the Cosmere existed. I had read Mistborn, Warbreaker and Elantris. I remember someplace in WoK when both Honor and Cultivation were mentioned at the same time, and I was like ... wait, what? Isn't this a little uncreative, naming your gods in this book after the same pattern as Mistborn? Then I made a quick google and had my mind blown.

Edited by Tazren

Elantris, at the end, when they say "goodbye" to Hrathen, how their relationship changed in the end.

When Gaotona burned Shai's book at the end of The Emperor's Soul.

When Lessie was shot again, I sat there and stared at the book in disbelieve.

When I learned that Silence kept her own personal Shadow close by.

(and many more)

OB

Spoiler

I can't get Shallan's story out of my head. How she sits there and tells the story, of the girl who looked up. That whole scene was so beautiful. I actually reread directly, just to commit the story to my head.

When Dalinar burned the city, with his wife inside.

1 minute ago, Gavtyven said:

Don't forget that it's her own grandmother or mother (I forgot which one) 

Yeah, exactly!!!! (It's the grandmother.)
I mean, that's kind of crazy? Hi granny, could you please come out? I have a small problem here!

Oh gosh, there’s a lot. I’ll just list them as they come to me (a lot of these have been mentioned by others). [MEGA SPOILERS]

• When Kaladin is remembering how Tien died. Everything building up to that was just so good, and then Tien’s death came, and wow. This scene was the only time a book has ever made me truly cry. Like, I’ve teared up a little reading other books before, but I full out cried when Tien died. I just felt Kaladin’s pain so much, because I already really relate to him. Tien’s death had me thinking about my own little brother and that just made the crying worse. Definitely one of the most emotional cosmere scenes ever. Plus, everything that happens afterward with Kaladin choosing to save Dalinar and all that.
  • Kelsier’s death. ‘Nuff said.
  • The entire Kholinar battle up to Elhokar’s death. Like others have said, that death shook me so hard. Right when Elhokar was starting to become a better person, right when he was about to swear the first ideal, Moash comes out of nowhere and kills him. I’ve never hated someone more in my entire life. Also, seeing Kaladin deal with the effects of that while the group is Shadesmar really resonated with me. It was also cool to see Adolin help him.
  • The end of Hero of Ages. God damnation.
  • I AM UNITY. That entire buildup where you’re not sure if Dalinar will succumb to Odium or not is just so good.
  • Wax killing Lessie (again).
  • When Vin killed the Lord Ruler. I was not expecting that in the first book of the trilogy, and that scene was just so epic.
  • The epic duel in WoR. That was so cool, and there’s that amazing quote. “Honor is dead, but I’ll see what I can do.”
  • Szeth and Kaladin’s battle at the end of WoR. That was epic, and I had been waiting all of WoK and WoR to see surgebinders really go at it like in that battle.
  • The scene with Shallan and Hoid during OB in Kholinar. That was just so emotional and Shallan desperately needed that at that moment.

A lot of these are from Stormlight. Coincidence? I think not.

EDIT: Added one more scene

Edited by StrikerEZ