Hoid and Spicy Food

Quantus

Question

I was re-reading the scene in OB with Shallan and Hoid, and it mentioned in passing that they served the food with male and female seasonings on the side, Sweet for her and Spicy for him, as the Rosharan gender foods dictate.  That made me wonder, have we ever seen Hoid/Wit eat "Masculine" food?  I ask because Masculine food is very Spicy, and Spicy is not actually a Flavor, it is actually Pain Response that we basically just enjoy enough to seek out.  Which means eating Spicy food is technically self-inflicted Damage, something we now know Hoid is incapable of.   

Along those lines, we know he becomes sickened to the point of incapacitated if he considers hurting himself.  Can he do it by accident? Is he even capable of Accidents with his super-special Fortune effect?  If he makes Tea, will he instantly Know the moment his cup of tea has cooled off enough that it will not scald his mouth?

6 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Spice triggers receptors, but it causes no damage. It creates an illusion. And Hoid has absolutely no problem with illusions.

Hmm, defined as just a sensory illusion, I can get behind that.  Capsaicin is literally no damage though, even when hitting other mucus membranes like the eyes?  Because if he cannot punch himself but he can pepper-spray himself, that's an oddly comical distinction. 

40 minutes ago, RShara said:

I think if he doesn't perceive it as damage, he'd be able to eat it.

This is along the line I was thinking. A spicy pepper? Just fine because it's not true "harm". Drinking still scalding hot water? Might not be able to take a full gulp because it can severely burn you.

Definitely a fun question. Wonder if that would get a RAFO or not.