Starsouls

skaa

Okay, this isn't really a theory but more like a request for other people's thoughts and theories. Recently I've been thinking about stars in the Cosmere, specifically the suns around which the major and minor Shardworlds revolve. I wonder what you guys think about them.

We know that in the Cosmere every object has a soul (or a spren, if you're on Roshar), and that massive objects like planets have a strong enough spiritual presence to influence Shardic Investiture. But what about stars, which are typically a million times (at the very least) more massive than a planet? Do they have a stronger spiritual presence? Could Shards even Invest in them? Or are they already Invested?

The figure looked into the sky. "I don't even know if anyone will ever see this. I am gone, you see."

Dalinar didn't respond. He looked over the sheer pinnacle, down at a void, horrified.

"This isn't just about you either," the figure said, raising his hand into the air. A light winked out in the sky, one that Dalinar hadn't realized was there. Then another winked out as well. The sun seemed to be growing dimmer.

That's from the Way of Kings. It seems that whatever it is Odium is planning to do will not only affect Shards and Shardworlds, but also the suns of solar systems as well. What could this mean?

Finally, the idea of stars having souls also makes me think about the nature of light and energy in the Cosmere. If we imagine that a star has a spiritual presence that is much, much stronger than that of a Shardworld, would it be possible for that "starsoul" to produce a spiritual aura of sorts, an aura that radiates energy, which manifests as light? We know how stars generate energy IRL via atomic fusion, but what if energy itself is an intrinsically spiritual thing in the Cosmere universe?

The Spiritual Realm contains an object's soul--its essence--as well as the ways it is connected to the things and people around it.

That's from Shai in the Emperor's Soul. It seems obvious to me that the transfer energy to other objects is a form of connection to others, so perhaps stellar energy does originate from the star's soul (at least in the Cosmere).

Any other star-related thoughts?
Edited by skaa

Regarding your quote in reference to the stars dimming, I'd argue that it was supposed to mean that Odium was killing other Shards, not that he was killing stars for funzies. Perhaps the dimming of stars is related to the fact that he has to destroy any planet he Invests in, though.

Regarding your quote in reference to the stars dimming, I'd argue that it was supposed to mean that Odium was killing other Shards, not that he was killing stars for funzies. Perhaps the dimming of stars is related to the fact that he has to destroy any planet he Invests in, though.

That's the thing,. Why would a star dim just because one of its planets is destroyed? Or are you saying that the blinking out of stars in that vision was purely symbolic?

Perhaps those stars are shards, in the literal sense; we are seeing through Honor's eyes here.

So Shards can perceive distant Shards as shining points of light in the sky? Interesting idea. Might be bad news for that Shard trying to survive by hiding out in space, though.

So Shards can perceive distant Shards as shining points of light in the sky? Interesting idea. Might be bad news for that Shard trying to survive by hiding out in space, though.

I believe the shard that just wants to survive and the shard in space are entirely different. I think the question asked was something like "Tell us about a shard you haven't told us about before", or something similar.

The stars in the cosmere are strange. We know it is a dwarf galaxy, yet there are many stars. The stars as viewed from Elantris make Aons, but that may be purely cultural. More research must be done.

I believe the shard that just wants to survive and the shard in space are entirely different. I think the question asked was something like "Tell us about a shard you haven't told us about before", or something similar.

Ah, pardon me for conflating the two. :)

Back on topic, I just remembered how Axies' shadow points towards the sun just as Jasnah's points towards infused gems. On Shadesmar, Pattern's shadow points towards what Shallan calls the "not-sun" (another Cosmeric enigma). What do you guys think of this?

Edited by skaa

I decided a long time ago that stars in the Cosmere dwarf galaxy also had souls. But I want someone to ask Brandon if they also have minds, and what powers those minds possess in the Cognitive Realm. I also want to see how cagey he gets when someone asks if the star's cognitive aspect expands the Cognitive Realm enough for Shadesmar to be formed.

• Chaos locked this topic