Ashertmarn vs Teft

Lefty Teft

So I was just thinking it would be neat if Teft was the one to capture the Heart of the Revel. Since he has such a close relationship with addiction it seems like he could be a great choice for such a task. I would personally love to see that encounter/arc. Anyways, thoughts?..

2 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Capture? You mean bind him into a gem? I think that ability is limited to Bondsmiths only... :unsure:

I don't think so... The whole idea behind binding a spren in a gem is about giving it what it loves, then capturing it in the gem. The only reason Dalinar did the first one was due to his familiarity to the Thrill. I am also totally on board with Teft capturing the Heart of the Revel. I was a little nonplussed when I was reading through the book and it seemed like Shallan was going to face it down. Her confrontation with the Midnight Mother made perfect sense, but less so with Ashertmarn. Teft is a lot more fitting for it. Dalinar's confrontation with the Thrill solidly establishes the pattern.

Teft would need to heal more, like Dalinar did against the Thrill, but I think you are right.

Of course Shallan's desire to uncover secrets was pretty blatant so she will be directly involved in two of the unmade...I can't remember the name of the secrets one, that changes spren.

Artifabrians capture spren all the time for their fabrials, so I doubt it requires a bondsmith. Though it should require a perfectly faceted gem like the king's gem.

Dalinar was able to capture Nergaoul because he truly understood the spren, and was attractive to it.  Nergaoul could be explained as the anti-Bondsmith spren, as he erodes the bonds between people.  With the thrill, people divide and fight senselessly rather than unite.

A Lightweaver captured Re-Shepnir, as they are closely related.  They both study human nature and create images, shadows, to varying degrees of accuracy.  They can understand each other.

I do not think that Ashertmarn is the ant-Windrunner spren.  Revelry and gluttony do not seem to be the opposite of leadership and protection.  I see the Windrunners being far more useful against Sja-Anat or Ba-Ado-Mishram.  

That said, the gluttony and revelry aspect does have some connection to addiction.  So while it doesn't quite feel right to me, I would read the damnation out of watching Teft conquer and capture this spren.

42 minutes ago, Stark said:

Dalinar was able to capture Nergaoul because he truly understood the spren, and was attractive to it.  Nergaoul could be explained as the anti-Bondsmith spren, as he erodes the bonds between people.  With the thrill, people divide and fight senselessly rather than unite.

A Lightweaver captured Re-Shepnir, as they are closely related.  They both study human nature and create images, shadows, to varying degrees of accuracy.  They can understand each other.

I do not think that Ashertmarn is the ant-Windrunner spren.  Revelry and gluttony do not seem to be the opposite of leadership and protection.  I see the Windrunners being far more useful against Sja-Anat or Ba-Ado-Mishram.  

That said, the gluttony and revelry aspect does have some connection to addiction.  So while it doesn't quite feel right to me, I would read the damnation out of watching Teft conquer and capture this spren.

There was nothing I read saying that the connection was directly tied to their surgebindings, but that the connections were aspects of their lives, like Shallan's art & Dalinar's addiction to the Thrill.

Revelry and gluttony are in direct opposition to leadership and protection.

But I don't think it's the type of Knight Radiant you are.  Dalinar developed a weak bond (Nahel bond would be a strong bond, obviously) with Nergaoul, so was able to coerce it into the gem.  It's the bond with the Unmade that's required, not the Bond with your spren

I like this angle a lot. If more of the Unmade are going to get captured the way Dalinar did with The Thrill, and the way Shallan seemed to be able to do by "getting" the Midnight Mother, I think Teft's firemoss addiction would give him an insight into the primary impulse behind The Heart of the Revel.

And maybe, Renarin would be the best one to capture Moelach, who inspires "death rattles" that are visions of a future that may not come to pass.

I can't think of who on Team Radiants might be suitable to go after Yelig-nar; what drives "the Blightwind" seems to be an unbridled pursuit of power that eventually destroys. (...Moash's redemption?! Nahhhh...)

8 minutes ago, robardin said:

I can't think of who on Team Radiants might be suitable to go after Yelig-nar; what drives "the Blightwind" seems to be an unbridled pursuit of power that eventually destroys. (...Moash's redemption?! Nahhhh...)

That would be Ishar the Herald currently trying to take over the world

5 hours ago, Mental Drifter said:

Of course Shallan's desire to uncover secrets was pretty blatant so she will be directly involved in two of the unmade...I can't remember the name of the secrets one, that changes spren.

Sja- Anat is the taker of secrets. Mind you this connection could be why she was contacted.

2 hours ago, robardin said:

Venli? Her unbridled pursuit of power killed her people, including her sister.

• Chaos locked this topic