Does sand keep Sandmasters alive?

Fanghur Rahl

Spoiler

Essentially, yes. 

The way that I try to describe it is, imagine that all of Sel's magics are basically slightly rounded plateaus. The higher your elevation, the stronger the available flow of the Dor that you can access. 

What they did with Elantris was essentially build a mountain on top of that plateau. Much higher power available... But with a much more pronounced drop off via distance. 

The Dor did attempt to push through Raoden... But that's because it didn't have a proper outlet. It's not supposed to push through the user, which is why an Elantrian using Nightblood would need to find a way to connect an Aon it. 

Edit: added spoilers for general general cosmere. 

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

If they drew it within Elantris, would the city itself count as an Aon?

Spoiler

It could... Which would be very very bad for Elantrians. 

Spoiler

Questioner

So you said that different Investitures from different worlds can fuel different Investitures, right? Would that mean that you could potentially use Stormlight for Allomancy and/or Feruchemy.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a little harder with the metallic arts than, for instance, Nightblood is the easiest example. He can just feed on whatever investiture is around.

Questioner

Could he feed on the Dor from...

Brandon Sanderson

He could totally feed on the Dor.

Questioner

Would you need to have a special sheathe to do that or?

Brandon Sanderson

No, what you would have to do for him on Elantris is you would have to open some conduit to the Dor that's persistent, like a light or something, and he will suck through that, he would probably end up sucking the whole aon.

Questioner

Sucking Elantris itself?

Brandon Sanderson

Sucking Elantris itself would work, yeah, but you're gonna be in trouble if he sucks up the whole thing, which is totally possible.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

Edit: added spoilers for general cosmere

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, Fanghur Rahl said:
Spoiler

Wait a minute, how would that work? Elantris is literally a physical city in the shape of an Aon. Is Nightblood supposed to black hole the entire city?

Spoiler

It's an Aon written in physical objects. It's not required, but it does make them more permanent, like the light plates and things. 

So maybe? Perhaps he'd just erode the part that functions and the physical shape would be left... But that would still have major consequences. 

Edit: adding spoilers, cause I didn't realize what topic I was in and damnation... 

Edited by Calderis

On 2/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

Anyway, the point wasn't that slatrification makes sand mastery overpowered.  The point was that it's a mechanic that virtually all sand masters have access to that completely bypasses a major restriction of the magic system.

Not all of them. The better ones.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

Why even have the dehydration aspect if you can just make more water?  Even Brandon admits it doesn't makes sense.  

It does not make sense from a systematic point of view. It does make sense from an ideological point of view. The pinnacle of a discipline is to make you more autonomous, becoming independent of an external need.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Not all of them. The better ones.

It does not make sense from a systematic point of view. It does make sense from an ideological point of view. The pinnacle of a discipline is to make you more autonomous, becoming independent of an external need.

I tend to agree, it always seemed similar to me to how Heightenings eventually let you get around a lot of the limitations of the system including (to an extent) the need for color.  That being said, Brandon has indicated that he really doesnt like that aspect of the system and doesnt think it fits with the rest of the Cosmere magics, and since it's never actually been done on screen is seriously considering making it impossible, casting Slatrification as an In-World legend that is just incorrect.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I'm a new teacher; my teachers are really quick to jump on me when I make mistakes. I was wondering if there's any inconsistencies or characters or any of the aspects of the magic systems you made that you could go back...?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Absolutely. Every book. Every book, there are things that I would want to change. And it ranges... there's a huge gamut of different things.

For instance, in the White Sand books, my first book that I wrote, that we eventually turned into graphic novels. I had a really cool magic system that was about manipulating sand with your mind, and things like this. And then I added in a weird thing where you could transform sand into water for no good reason whatsoever. It doesn't match the rest the magic system. Because I wanted to write myself out of a hole. And as a newer writer, I did that a lot more. It ended up kind of getting canonized, and when we went back, I didn't fix it that fast, and so it ended up in the first graphic novel, and I'm like, "We need to fix this." So, the third graphic novel... we've given ourselves enough wiggle room, fortunately, that I can be like, "And that's not what people thought it was." Because I want it to be more consistent. So you get that third graphic novel, and you're like, "Wow, they can't do this anymore?" No one ever did it onscreen, so they were just wrong. 'Cause that totally just does not belong in that magic system.

The Mistborn books, the original trilogy, I worked very hard to make sure I had an interesting, tough, but also compelling female protagonist. But then I defaulted to guys for the rest of the crew. And if you want to write a story about that, doing it intentionally, that's a different conversation entirely. But when you just kind of do it accidentally, like, I did, I look back and I'm like, "Mmm, I didn't really want to do that. But I did anyway, because of just the way that every story I'd seen I was defaulting to (like Ocean's Eleven, and things like this), where my models were, and I didn't take enough time to think about it, where I think it would have actually been a better story if I had thought a little bit more about that. Like, there are things like that all across the board.

I did get into a little... trouble's the wrong term. But in Words of Radiance, I reverted it... from the paperback, when it came out, I reverted to a previous version that I had written for part of the ending. And that caused all kinds of confusion among the fans, what is canon? And so I'm like, "Oh, I can't do that anymore." But I had gone back and forth on how a part of the ending was to play out. A pretty small element, but a part of the ending. And I had settled on one. And then immediately, as soon as we pushed print, felt that it was the wrong one. But you just gotta go with it.

I don't know. I don't think there's a strict answer on how much you can change, and how much you can't. Grandpa Tolkien went back and changed The Hobbit so it would match Lord of the Rings. And I think I'm glad he did. Even if I would have been annoyed if I'd had the first version that doesn't have the connection. When I read it, it had the connection, and it was so much cooler. I don't know if I have answers on that. But every book, there is something I would want to change.

Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)

Strumienpola (paraphrased)

Can you slatrify sand into other liquids?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

*thinks a moment* I admit that slatrification is one aspect of Sand Mastery I'm the least fond of, because it doesn't mesh well with the rest of Cosmere magic. The comicbook writers are working with my original script, with very minor changes, but if we ever release White Sand in print - which we might do - I might end up changing it. So - I won't answer that, because I'm not yet sure if slatifying into water is possible. *laughs* You can think of the comic as sort of in-universe story about those characters, then.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

About slatrification, he said that if he ever writes the novel, he'll make slatrification an in-world legend.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)