What Can AonDor Actually Do?

So what can AonDor really do? It seems to be incredibly versatile, but we only really saw a few aons properly used in the books. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading off handed remarks of seeing elantrians flying around in Elantris, is this just the people of Kae thinking up things or is there an aon which grants flight? I feel that sadly, the case is simply that we haven't seen enough of AonDor or Elantris. 

I welcome any input. 

AonDor, effectively any Selish magic, works by programming reality. This is perhaps a dramatic phrasing but it's more or less how it works. I wouldn't be surprised if flight was possible provided the right Aon was used, with the right modifiers.

In addition to what was seen in the book effects such as enhancement of the mind, soothing of emotion and pain inducement are all applications of AonDor.

As @Agent34 said, AonDor is effectively the ability to reprogram the Universe via Cognitive constructs (ie Symbols). It (and Selish magics in general) are some of the most versitile and powerful magics we've seen, with their two drawbacks being that you have to KNOW the right symbols, and also that Selish magics are fundamentally tied to Physical location and homeland. The same way Hemalurgy can do a hell of a lot if you know the secrets, you have to know the right symbols to be able translate effects from different "programming languages", and fortunately there exists a Rosetta Stone   to help translate the effects (potentially even translate other magics system effects).  With that the AeonDor should be able to mimic just about ANY cosmere effect, and given the extreme versatility of Forgery, that's some amazingly diverse options.

From a very Doylistic perspective, I think the Selish Magics are going to prove to be some of the most Powerful and diverse in the Cosmere endgame, with that power balanced against its location limitations.   If Scadrial is going to be the race of very physical spacefaring science, Sel will be the home of the true Wizards (Elantrians=elves, methinks) that are busy hacking reality itself.  Scadrial is the Physical focus poster-child, Sel is the Cognitive, and Roshar is the Spiritual; this follows with their Investiture and I think will be the central thrust of their endgame roles as well. 

Yup, though it sounds like it has more to do with the Seon's Bond to their master than anything else

Sir Jerric

Could a Seon or a Skaze turn into some sort of Shardblade on their home planet?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible.  They work under the same fundamentals but they would need to have something to pull them more into the physical realm.  

source

7 hours ago, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

Since AonDor is essentially just a reprogamming system, then would it be possible to create blades similar to awakened blades like vivenna's shardblade or nightblood?

Why would you want to? Go the whole way. Build a shard machine gun with teleported bullets.

• Chaos locked this topic