A Sword in Sel

Bigmikey357

As a sort of Cognitive Realm clean-up project, how about dropping an unsheethed Nightblood into the plasma nightmare that is Sel's CR? One of 2 things happen. Either Nightblood gets super saturated with Investiture and is destroyed or he eats everything and the Aon Dor no longer works. The bright side to scenario 2 is that safe passage is once again available to Sel. The bright side to scenario 1 is the most dangerous weapon in the Cosmere is no longer a threat to worlds.

Scenario 1 seems unlikely to me, as something that is saturated just can't absorb more (investure in this case) and just stops absorbing, so if Nightblood can get saturated it wouldn't get destroyed.

Scenario 2 would be more likely, if Nightblood consumes all investure it would be safe(r) to travel to Sel but the problem then is that the Perpendicularity also isn't there anymore.

Nightblood is not powerful enough to destroy a Shard, although he could maybe damage it a little.  The Aon Dor is the bulk of two different Shard's Investiture, so I don't think that it's possible for him to make a noticeable dent in it.  

2 hours ago, Thurin said:

Scenario 1 seems unlikely to me, as something that is saturated just can't absorb more (investure in this case) and just stops absorbing, so if Nightblood can get saturated it wouldn't get destroyed.

This is actually exactly what I think would happen.  He would feed as much as he could, but eventually get annihilated by the crazy Investiture storm.  

2 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Nightblood is not powerful enough to destroy a Shard, although he could maybe damage it a little.  The Aon Dor is the bulk of two different Shard's Investiture, so I don't think that it's possible for him to make a noticeable dent in it.  

This is actually exactly what I think would happen.  He would feed as much as he could, but eventually get annihilated by the crazy Investiture storm.  

I get what you're saying with this, and you're probably right about that.

But then please explain to me why Nightblood would get destroyed by feeding on 'too much' investure ... It is likely that Nightblood has a maximum amount of investure it can destroy per second, but I don't see why getting saturated would destroy something. If you throw a fully-saturated wet sponge in a bucket of water it also doesn't implode/explode or something like that.

The Dor is the investiture equivalent of a plasma storm.

Nightblood would feed to the point of complete saturation, and then it would sit there, trapped. It would either be both indestructible and inaccessible, or it would be slowly worn away by the continual storm washing over it. 

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, Thurin said:

I get what you're saying with this, and you're probably right about that.

But then please explain to me why Nightblood would get destroyed by feeding on 'too much' investure ... It is likely that Nightblood has a maximum amount of investure it can destroy per second, but I don't see why getting saturated would destroy something. If you throw a fully-saturated wet sponge in a bucket of water it also doesn't implode/explode or something like that.

I mean, balloons will pop if stuffed with too much air.  But that's not really the point.  Nightblood wouldn't be destroyed by feeding on too much Investiture - it would be destroyed by the remaining Investiture that it wasn't able to consume.  The Dor has been described as a plasma storm, which vaporizes anything it comes into contact with.  

6 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I mean, balloons will pop if stuffed with too much air.  But that's not really the point.  Nightblood wouldn't be destroyed by feeding on too much Investiture - it would be destroyed by the remaining Investiture that it wasn't able to consume.  The Dor has been described as a plasma storm, which vaporizes anything it comes into contact with.  

Nightblood isn't really like a balloon. A balloon has air being constantly forced into it, Nightblood either pulls investiture into itself, or passively absorbs it. In either case, once Nightblood is full it will stop filling (unless it's so gluttonous that it refuses to stop.)

• Chaos locked this topic