Which Form of Investiture Would you Choose?

2 minutes ago, Servillius said:

Ok, good point.

I choose Adonalsium, then. A nice combination of all 16 shards should balance out pretty evenly. 

I'm not so sure about that. Harmony has two and is almost paralyzed. 16 seems like you'd be an ultimately powerful, yet impotent observer, because the intents don't balance/cancel out. 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Sazed's two Shards do not "cancel out", as Brandon said that it would like being pulled by two huge gravitational tides. You can get to a way that you aren't instantly ripped apart, but that doesn't mean you don't feel it. (When asked what effect the Shards would have on Sazed, Brandon said, "Read Alloy of Law to find out".)

source

I'm kind of confused, your comment, followed by Sanderson's comment seem to conflict.
He doesn't seem paralysed to me. Actually, he seemed to be doing a better job than most shards. Harmony does nicely compared to when the shards were separate. Yeah, it's like you have all of these different things pulling you in all different directions, but in the end, it tends to be kind of balanced, and you can go your own way.

1 minute ago, Servillius said:

I'm kind of confused, your comment, followed by Sanderson's comment seem to conflict.
He doesn't seem paralysed to me. Actually, he seemed to be doing a better job than most shards. Harmony does nicely compared to when the shards were separate. Yeah, it's like you have all of these different things pulling you in all different directions, but in the end, it tends to be kind of balanced, and you can go your own way.

No, he can't. He acts primarily through agents specifically because he can do so little himself. 

In his own words, from his letter in OB. 

I am the least equipped, of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the most simple of actions can be difficult.

I would either pick a detail knowledge of fabrial technology, Feruchemy, or Biochromatic breath. I would want Fabrial tech because it is very versatile, even more so than what we see currently. Breath because I could, with a few hacks, make basically living, self healing armor. As for Feruchemy, I could really use zinc, electrum, tin, and copper in my engineering classes. 

58 minutes ago, Eternal said:

@Servillius if you have all 16 shards in one body then there intent will effectively neutralise each other hence there will be no persona to take over your consiousness so you will be you with power to do anything you want to.

That's the best case scenario, assuming you could fuse them all back together in a balanced way.  But otherwise, based on Harmony, they dont immediately balance each other, they still pull at the vessel in their distinct ways.  They do appear to be slowing merging the longer they are held together (Per WOB it would take effort to separate them now), but I dont think it's going to be that easy to hold Humpty Dumpty together in the meantime, if you tried to especially if you cram all 16 together at once. Though once you get a few melded I could see it becoming easier to add more to the mix as they'd represent a smaller and small percentage (and thus upset) of the accumulating whole.

14 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That's the best case scenario, assuming you could fuse them all back together in a balanced way.  But otherwise, based on Harmony, they dont immediately balance each other, they still pull at the vessel in their distinct ways.  They do appear to be slowing merging the longer they are held together (Per WOB it would take effort to separate them now), but I dont think it's going to be that easy to hold Humpty Dumpty together in the meantime, if you tried to especially if you cram all 16 together at once. Though once you get a few melded I could see it becoming easier to add more to the mix as they'd represent a smaller and small percentage (and thus upset) of the accumulating whole.

I agree with you but one have to be careful not to take up a shard like Odium at first as it will oppose you from taking any other.

Edited by Eternal

Just now, Eternal said:

I agree with you but one have to be careful not to take up a shard like Odium as it will oppose you from taking any other.

Not necessarily, that seems to be more Rayse interpretation.  He wants to be "top dog" but doesnt want to pollute his nature with more Shardic Intents.  I dont think that is a fundamental drive of the shard, just Rayse not wanting to be changed from what he currently is.  But a more open-minded Vessel of Odium could probably try to climb the pile using Sazed's method instead.  Im guessing it's why Odium is afraid of Harmony, he's the biggest challenger to that goal.

WinespringBrother [PENDING REVIEW]

Given that Shards, and perhaps, Ascended beings, have intents similar to their names.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

More that they have names similar to their intents.

So, would Unity be a natural enemy of Autonomy?

Um... Possibly. You say "natural,"

Well, would one eliminate the other one? But more towards Autonomy trying to break up...

To break up Unity. It's so hard to say, because Autonomy is a bit of a strange duck. Like, what counts as being Autonomous? Is absorbing everything and becoming one again Autonomous or not? That's kind of your question that you get into. And the way Autonomy looks at it right now, is no. Autonomy wants to remain Autonomy. Autonomy does not want to be corrupted by anything else. And Autonomy would think the Shards are better on their own. But is this a natural effect, or part of the...? Does that make sense?

Well, but it's also along the lines of, Odium wants to break up the other ones, so they don't...

Odium just wants to be top dog. And your two ways to be top dog are to climb higher, or to lower everyone else. And he's like, we're gonna lower everyone else. Because I know, if I combine, it stops being me, is what his opinion is. I would no longer be the person I am. I would change into someone else. And then that person gets to rule, and I don't want that person to rule. I want to.

source

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Not necessarily, that seems to be more Rayse interpretation.  He wants to be "top dog" but doesnt want to pollute his nature with more Shardic Intents.  I dont think that is a fundamental drive of the shard, just Rayse not wanting to be changed from what he currently is.  But a more open-minded Vessel of Odium could probably try to climb the pile using Sazed's method instead.  Im guessing it's why Odium is afraid of Harmony, he's the biggest challenger to that goal.

From what I know I think after holding a shard for enough time the vessel loses its free will as Hoid mention in his letter that ATI was a good enough guy but he went all ballastic after harbouring ruin for a while.

So I do not think Rayse himself has free will now as he is holding Odium since shattering. What he wants is all Odium not Rayse.

Just my thoughts.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:40 AM, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

And I imagine the shardblade may occasionally come in handy. 

It'd also be nice to have a shard fork.  

Baring rosharan magic, allowmancy is one of the most powerful forms of magic there are.  Not only that, but it also requires finesse.  It would also be extremely useful in modern society.

If allowed, I'd be a dragon, because of the immortality and shapeshifting, otherwise an elantrian because of the huge potential, and the fact that it'd be really useful on earth, as long as you have a how-to guide on aons.