Kaladin

TrдVψLшR 0115

I had totally forgotten this until someone brought it up. @IllNsickly 

Kaladin managed to do SOMETHING to the Spren tormenting Gavinor in the throne room scene with Syl as a Shardblade.

I can’t quote the scene, but I recall Syl saying that she didn’t think that even a Shardblade could kill a Spren, and it disturbed her quite a lot.

Edited by 0 of 5

I think it is establishing that shardblades can indeed damage manifest Spren in the Physical Realm.  This is something that likely didnt come up as much with the previous Radiants where the sides were more clear, but now that we're likely going to see more actual bonded Radiants and/or Voidbinders on Odium's side, ones that will be able to manifest spren as actual living shardblades, it's likely there will be more spren-on-spren violence.

Wait....what happens if you cut a spren with a normal sword?  Does it just pass through them as if they had no substance? Temporarily lose shape and reform like a trail of smoke?  I can't recall a scene of anyone actually trying to interact physically with any type of spren (discounting Lift as an exception) .  Like if hunger spren where flying all  around you, could you "shoo" them?

I'm not surprised that Shardblades, alive or dead, can cut/kill spren.  We know they cut Cognitively (burning out the eyes/soul, but not harming the body).  They're spren themselves.  It makes sense they'd all be on the same "wavelength".

Kaladin in the scene is interesting though because he doesn't just attack the spren, he's totally enraged.  Which, in a storyline where emotions and emotional influences are playing power roles, may be something important.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Zellyia said:

Kaladin in the scene is interesting though because he doesn't just attack the spren, he's totally enraged.  Which, in a storyline where emotions and emotional influences are playing power roles, may be something important

Right, that’s part of why I’m like is this a thing?

Edited by 0 of 5

Interesting thoughts... My interpretation has always been since shardblades deal spiritual blows instead of physical ones, they were able to hurt the spren.  But I dont think we have another instance of this.  I will have to pay more attention in my next reread of the books.

Edited by Furamirionind
Darn auto correct...

He killed the spren and it hurt Syl when he did it. I dont think normally a person can "touch" a spren but a shard blade first kills the "soul" thats why in a scene we see someone having to first kill a vine and then be able to cut it after its dead. Since the sprens actual bodies dont manifest in the physical realm I dont think  you could kill them with anything but a shardblade.

37 minutes ago, PelekinikeleT said:

Can u post a vine scene like ur talking about or point me to a chapter? I thought that was just a peculiarity of Roshar. I wasn’t connecting it to the spren theme. That’s a cool idea 

I have the audiobooks, but when Kaladin and Shallan are trekking through the Chasms her inner monologue talks about the oddity of needing to cut the vines twice, once to sever the soul and a second to sever the vine.

It was after Kaladin killed the Chasmfiend with Pattern.

Shardblades cut on all three, realms. 

Relevant WoB

VindicationKnight

If a person in the Cosmere built a fully sentient and sapient robot would that robot have a soul? How would it interact with Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. It would interact with Shardblades the same way that Spren do.

VindicationKnight

How does a Shardblade interact with a Spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardblades cut on all three realms. I'm not going to say too much here, though I might note that it's possible a robot like you say would act more like nightblood than anything else--depends on what is involved in the creation, and how you determine the difference between a robot and a golem for these purposes.

source

That said, it's not surprising that a Shardblade can damage or kill a spren. 

And yes, Brandon wrote a scene in which Kaladin kills a Spren with Syl. 

Of course it's foreshadowing. 

26 minutes ago, PelekinikeleT said:

Gee thanks dad, but I was hoping to go a bit deeper than Kaladin kills stuff

Such as? Spren can be hit with Shardblades. So you can damage spren and the Unmade. 

We have our foreshadowing. You want to speculate at specific situations go right ahead, but beyond "shardblade hits spren" I'm not sure what your goal is. 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic