Why can't Straff seem to hear Vin outside his tent?

monkeyfeet228

In Well of Ascension, there's a scene where Elend negotiates with Straff in Straff's camp, while Vin and Zane sit outside and she messes with his emotions. My question is this, in spite of being a tineye, why doesn't Straff seem to hear Vin and Zane's conversation? Vin explicitly tells Zane that Elend is bluffing about Vin going on a murder rampage through the camp, but Straff continues on, apparently believing the threat to be legitimate. What's the deal? I don't buy the idea that Straff knew, but was playing along, because his response is a near-panicked repudiation that she could accomplish said murder rampage. Pretending to be cowed would be anathema to his character. The obvious explanation is just that he wasn't burning tin, but at the point where Vin starts letting things slip, Zane has already loudly crunched some weeds, and Elend has tipped his hand about her watching. So I guess just really bad judgement? That feels like an unsatisfactory explanation for a guy who is repulsive, but otherwise cunning.

Edited by monkeyfeet228

Straff was talking with Elend at the time, so that might have interfered with his ability to hear what was going on. Also, keep in mind that a military camp will probably have a fair amount of activity going on inside it, generating a noticeable amount of background noise. Straff was a Tineye, yes, but so are Vin and Zane. If both were burning tin, then they were probably speaking at a level that was just audible for them, and hence out of Straff's hearing range. If everyone has super senses, then no-one has super senses :D.

Also, congrats on your first post and welcome to the Shard. Have an upvote.

Edited by Slimy_Slider
Adding more to comment.

7 minutes ago, soulcastJam said:

There have been other occasions where mistborn speak so quietly only a tin-eye could hear them. And if you have tent cloth in the way, then there is at least a small inhibitor for Straff.

I agree with this. Vin and Zane were likely speaking in tin-whispers. So even if Straff was burning, it would be like a normal person trying to listen to two people whisper outside the tent you're in while you're also having a conversation with a person who is yelling very loudly at you.

• Chaos locked this topic