Did Renarin used to be more talkative?

animalia

Part of me wonders if Renarin used to be more talkative? Maybe the reason he doesn't say much, and is so careful with his words is because when he spoke what he thought of as the truth people didn't like it much? I admit I am speculating from not very much (and from remembering even less so my memory could be shoddy) But lines like ""Renarin be rational!" He was always rational", and Jasnah saying that they said a lot of the same stuff about Renarin as they did about her behind her back make me wonder if was initially more spoken like Jasnah before becoming the withdrawn person we see today.

That's part of it of course, but there also how the TruthWATCHers were said to have a level of TACT, as in they keep a lot of the truth they see to them selves. Maybe that's why Glys Corrupted though he may be, was still drawn to him. They don't just look for people who speak the truth but either sometimes hold it back, or have been hurt by speaking the truth.

That being said this is just speculation.

8 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Not unlikely. It's very hard for a lot of people with autism to lie, but the truth isn't always welcome. So you learn to either talk around it or not say anything at all.

Or you take the Jasnah approach. As someone with Autism (I was diagnosed with Asperger’s before that was was removed from the DSM) I can say that while it has it’s pluses it has it’s own cons as well.

I think the subtext heavily implies that Renarin was quiet and withdrawn, right from the start. Dalinar fails to take an interest in him because he doesn't see himself reflected in the child, the way he does with the robust and athletic Adolin. There is never a point when anyone says "Wow, Renarin has really changed from when he was a kid." In fact he does go through major changes in front of everyone, but they're all so used to him being weird that most people fail to notice. 

16 hours ago, earthexile said:

I think the subtext heavily implies that Renarin was quiet and withdrawn, right from the start. Dalinar fails to take an interest in him because he doesn't see himself reflected in the child, the way he does with the robust and athletic Adolin. There is never a point when anyone says "Wow, Renarin has really changed from when he was a kid." In fact he does go through major changes in front of everyone, but they're all so used to him being weird that most people fail to notice. 

But Dalinar wasn't really around him much, would he even notice a change?

4 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Dalinar might not have but other people like Adolin and Navani would, also Jasnah's thoughts at the end of OB kind of suggest he's always been like that.

Fair point. I am currently doing a Stormlight Reread focused on (by which I mean I am paying close attention when they appear, I don’t skip things) Jasnah and Renarin. As I am looking for stuff I missed with them before, or had forgotten. Speaking of, the bit where Wit teased Renarin in Chapter 12 for SOMEHOW getting the attention of two sisters strikes me as odd. 

I have speculation about that, but to be fair a lot of said speculation is fueled by my bias for said character. So if you want to hear it take it with a grain of salt.

• Chaos locked this topic