When you meet other Sanderson fanss

Mailnaise

The other day at school I was in the library because the Librarian bought the Stormlight books! One of my friends teachers saw me, and later he stopped me in the hallway during study hall and we spent like 30min talking about Oathbringer, which he had finished the day before! Highlight of my week!

It's the best when you find more people, or when you bring more people...I got my sister into Mistborn, and my friend into Stormlight and Mistborn

I met a person on a discord server who liked Sanderson, it was great. Sadly the only people that are close to me that I know like Sanderson is my Mom (who got me into Mistborn and I'm trying to get her to read Steelheart) and my brother (who got me into Alcatraz but doesn't like long books, so he won't read Mistborn or any Cosmere books)

Sanderson isn't popular here. Chicklit has more audience here 

I tried to get my friends into Mistborn they read up to book 2 only. My other friend became a fan of Will Wight instead(I recommended her mistborn and travelers gate.. She finished the latter not the former)

So everybody I talk about Sanderson novels are from online.

There isn't a reading culture where i live, and English isn't even the main language. i know there are translations, but still... 

So it was one day, after i had finished Oathbringer and was bursting with the need to talk about it, that i finally made my way here. And here i've stayed ever since. ;)

On 10/18/2018 at 6:46 PM, dvoraen said:

One of my landlords was here the other day because my shower drain was leaking onto the floor below (fixed now, yay).  He spies my copy of Oathbringer and gives me a thumbsup.  That was surreal.

Omg ur landlord is a world hopper. He also owns property on other planets

2 hours ago, PelekinikeleT said:

Omg ur landlord is a world hopper. He also owns property on other planets

Little did you know Earth is part of the Cosmere and you just found Hoid the Landlord!

Also one time I was playing Overwatch and I found a guy named Dalinar, so naturally I asked him if he read Stormlight, and he did. 

He's on my friends list now. We obsess together while playing. :D

Some of my friends have read a least a part of Brandon's books. Not all of them, but still they know about the cosmere and everything. So when we meet we tend to annoy everybody else with discussions :D Because sooner or later we always talk about books and that leads to always to the Cosmere.

Edited by Sorana

On 10/20/2018 at 4:34 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I have tried introducing Sanderson to various friends and family members. Hasn’t gone very well this far. 

I always start with Alloy of Law. Yea it spoils Era 1, but it's much shorter than the rest of the full Cosmere novels, and it's just super fun. Hasn't failed me yet on getting even "non-readers" to start actually reading the books.

1 hour ago, Aesicar said:

I always start with Alloy of Law. Yea it spoils Era 1, but it's much shorter than the rest of the full Cosmere novels, and it's just super fun. Hasn't failed me yet on getting even "non-readers" to start actually reading the books.

Yeah, maybe. I don’t like the idea of spoiling Era 1 though. Its the greatest Sanderson ending ever... but I can defenitely see why AoL would work well.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yeah, maybe. I don’t like the idea of spoiling Era 1 though. Its the greatest Sanderson ending ever... but I can defenitely see why AoL would work well.

That's mainly for people who don't normally read. I've had a couple friends who were still blown away by the ending of Era 1 just because they aren't used to paying that much attention to things like a characters name, or a religion that gets started. They notice some similarities and know it's set in the past but don't connect all the dots.

For the few active readers I know I recommended Era 1, Warbreaker or Elantris depending on their reading preferences. I haven't recommended someone start with Stormlight yet. I've gotten most of them to read it by now, but don't start with it because the size puts people off.

I discovered a friend at work listening to The Way of Kings... then started chatting, but hinting at but not telling of things to come... 

At this point, he's gone through the 3 Stormlight books, and the Final Empire and is currently reading the Reckoners... 

• Chaos locked this topic