Epigraphs (Spoilers!)

pmj812

Chp 11:

Does anyone else think this is related to the Shards? We know there are 16, and the Everstorm possibly refers to when all the things in the cosmere come to a head.

Since there are 16 shards, and three of them (Cultivation, Honor, and Odium) resided on Roshar, I think it's a given that this is related to the shards.

• 2 weeks later...

“The love of men is a frigid thing, a mountain stream only three steps from the ice. We are his. Oh Stormfather…we are his. It is but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes.”

chapter 5:

“I have seen the end, and have heard it named. The Night of Sorrows, the True Desolation. The Everstorm.”

These are interesting. I think there's reason to believe that the storms are preserving Roshar - bringing life and stormlight to a dying world. But the reference to the True Desolation as the Everstorm suggests that the storms are of evil, not good.

The mists in Mistborn was a "good" and innocent force but became corrupted and abused. A high storm may be a "good" force as well but if it was altered to come twice a week or every other day....

“I wish to sleep. I know now why you do what you do, and I hate you for it. I will not speak of the truths I see.”

I'm interested in this one because I not certain he's speaking to the "doctors" as they assume.

“The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule!”

And this is one of my favorites simply because it sounds neat.

• 2 years later...

"Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."

Chp 11:

Does anyone else think this is related to the Shards? We know there are 16, and the Everstorm possibly refers to when all the things in the cosmere come to a head.

Since there are 16 shards, and three of them (Cultivation, Honor, and Odium) resided on Roshar, I think it's a given that this is related to the shards.

My personal belief on this is that there were three shards ruling on Roshar, NOT including Odium.  This comes from the "Three of sixteen RULED, but NOW the Broken One reigns."  This makes me think that the Broken One was not one of the original 3 shards ruling.  If this is the case, we know of Honor and Cultivation, but not who/what the third shard is.  Since it has been confirmed that Cultivation is not the Nightwatcher, perhaps the Nightwatcher could be this mysterious 3rd shard... 

Not sure if this theory has been made before or not.

Not sure if this theory has been made before or not.

It has and it is a definitive no.

Chaos

How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Three

(source)

Zas

So the number of Shards that have been on Roshar is three, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

Correct.

Zas

People have been thrown by you saying that Odium is not native to Roshar.

Brandon

Odium is not native, that's the thing. Are any of them native? So if you dig the deeper question, are any of them native, ehhh, none of them are native to the planets you've seen so far. What I probably should've said to be more precise is that Honor and Cultivation were there long before Odium showed up.

(source)

Also, why do you say that is has "been confirmed that Cultivation is not the Nightwatcher"?  I have seen nothing like that, any question that tries to ask it has been RAFO'd

WoR spoilers:

In fact, given what we have seen from the Lift interlude it is heavily implied they are closely related.

Since it has been confirmed that Cultivation is not the Nightwatcher...

Okay, fortunately none of my espoused theories absolutely require Nightwatcher to be Cultivation, but could you please give us a link to the source of that info? The Nightwatcher=Cultivation is a very popular theory around here, so I'm sure people will appreciate a citation. Thanks!

Edit: Ninja'd by Weiry.

Edited by skaa

Okay, fortunately none of my espoused theories absolutely require Nightwatcher to be Cultivation, but could you please give us a link to the source of that info? The Nightwatcher=Cultivation is a very popular theory around here, so I'm sure people will appreciate a citation. Thanks!

Edit: Ninja'd by Weiry.

Also, why do you say that is has "been confirmed that Cultivation is not the Nightwatcher"?  I have seen nothing like that, any question that tries to ask it has been RAFO'd

WoR spoilers:

In fact, given what we have seen from the Lift interlude it is heavily implied they are closely related.

41. ZenBossanova

@14 I also found 'awesomeness' a bit jarring, but otherwise, it was highly enjoyable.

@21 The NightWatcher is NOT Cultivation. I asked Brandon at the Phoenix Comicon and that was all he would tell me. I suspect it is a character from Hoid's old world, but that is just my 2 cents.

I was a little confused about the mother. It sounded like we were partly talking about the Spren's mother - and I didn't know spren had mothers.

This is a post from the Lift excerpt at http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/12/words-of-radiance-excerpt-lift.

If the Nightwatcher isn't Cultivation...

WoR:

Alright, so what's going on with Wyndle then? His 'mother' blessed Lift, and...

“You shouldn’t be able to either,” he said, sounding troubled. “What did you ask for, when you visited my mother?”

Wyndle moved along beside Lift. “Mother has given up on your kind. I can feel it. She doesn’t care any longer. Now that He’s gone...”

This was obviously intended to refer to Cultivation losing Honor. If that's not true any longer, I just don't understand.

I'm inclined to think the TOR quote was wrong and Brandon gave an Aes Sedai answer that was misunderstood.

Still... the Nightwatcher may also not be the person giving blessings, or else the Nightwatcher may be a spren that directly links people to Cultivation... hrm.

WoR

But no, the Ring said we should choose you. ‘She has visited the Old Magic,’ they said. ‘Our mother has blessed her,’ they said. ‘She will be young, and we can mold her,’ they said. Well they don’t have to put up with—”

Could it be possible that Wyndle was referencing two separate events?  1. Visiting the Old Magic (NIghtwatcher). 2. Being blessed by mother (Cultivation).  So far receiving a blessing AND a curse has been associated with visiting the Old Magic, what if Lift received both from the Nightwatcher, then was blessed by Cultivation in another manner?  Possibly by having the curse removed.  Not the best reasoning, I admit, but it would fit the wording.

This way it could still be a reference to Cultivation losing Honor, and subtly hinting at the two being separate entities entirely. 

BS sure likes his subtle hints and secrets.

Edited by WeiryWriter
okay, I "think" I fixed the spoiler tags?

It's also possible that individual KR bondspren are spawned from the Splinters/"Heraldspren" that (theoretically) were held by the Heralds. So, Wyndle's mother, a.k.a. the Nightwatcher, might have been a Splinter that Vedeledev held. In the same way, the Stormfather could just be Jezrien's Splinter. The Nightwatcher would have an emotional attachment to Honor (her father; Cultivation could be her mother if hybrid Splinters are a thing), so of course Tanavast's death would affect her greatly.

• Chaos locked this topic