Child of Hodor

Tower, Crown and Spear

7 posts in this topic

I think the death rattles will recur, or apply to more than one situation in the books. There is one in particular that I think applies to Dalinar, twice. The first applies to the more mundane events dealing with House Kholin and Alethkar; the second deals with his Ascension. 

He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear! 

— Collected on Vevahach 1173, 8 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a prostitute of unknown background.[19]

"fallen title" = House Kholin; Knights Radiants
"The Tower" = Kholin Banner has a tower on it; Urithiru
"The Crown" = Essentially replacing Elhokar as king in all but name; Replacing Tanavast as Honor's Vessel 
"The Spear" = Kaladin; A weapon to defeat Odium, maybe by picking a Champion (Kaladin again?) 

It could also apply to Kaladin. He is present when Amaran drops the KR cloak at Dalinar's order, he saved Dalinar at the Tower, he saved Elhokar in WoR and he got his Shardspear. 

2 hours ago, PelekinikeleT said:

It would be cool to have two takes on the rattles. Do u have anymore? @Child of Hodor

“A man stood on a cliff side and watched his homeland fall to dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.” - WoK ch. 3 epigraph 

Dalinar sees a crude mock up of Kholinar fall to dust in the final vision, but there is no water and no tears. 

I think Szeth will witness Shinovar’s destruction in book 5. He might even help cause it. Shinovar is close to the ocean and the surge of Division, which is Szeth’s other surge, can cause things to crumble to dust amongst other things.

A repeat of whatever was done to shatter the shattered plains, only worse. 

15 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think Szeth will witness Shinovar’s destruction in book 5. He might even help cause it. Shinovar is close to the ocean and the surge of Division, which is Szeth’s other surge, can cause things to crumble to dust amongst other things.

Given that Szeth is currently very close to being a cognitive shadow because of his death in WoR, I think it is likely that he will take Nale's place as a Herald and gain unfettered access to Nale's Honor blade and his connection to Honor's investure. Only then could he cause such a large amount of destruction. 

1 hour ago, Gasper said:

Given that Szeth is currently very close to being a cognitive shadow because of his death in WoR, I think it is likely that he will take Nale's place as a Herald and gain unfettered access to Nale's Honor blade and his connection to Honor's investure. Only then could he cause such a large amount of destruction. 

Now that Honor is dead, the Heralds no longer have direct access to Honor's Investiture.  They have to suck in the Stormlight like the rest of the Radiants.  

Easy answer: It's just Kaladin in the climax of Way of Kings.  He picks up the fallen title (Knight Radiant by swearing his oath) at the tower (name of the plateau where the battle is fought), saving the crown (Dalinar), by finally taking up his spear.

Much better and not crazy answer: Kaladin ultimately becomes King of Everything (crown) via marrying Jasnah (Tower is symbol of house Kholin) and discovering that he is a secret descendent of Taravangian via his mother's side.  All of Taravangian's kingdoms pass to Kaladin, and Kal even has special protection from Odium because his mother was born in Kharbranth and Odium has promised not to harm the families of those born there.

As Wit said "Be wary of anyone who claims to be able to see the future".

I think certainly Moelach falls under this category. They could all be breadcrumbs to lead Taravangian into false conclusions and I think we should interpret them that way.