Awakening and Hemalurgy

Pagliacci

You would find it very difficult to awaken a spike to begin with. Investiture resists Investiture. Add to that fact that awakening metal takes a massive amount of breathes, and you'd have a very difficult time just awakening it in the first place.

Edited by HSuperLee

I think investure resistance from the spike's charge wouldn't be that bad, given that you can still push on spikes, and the amount of investure you use for awakening metal could easily get past that. I think the issue would be more in not accidentally wiping out the hemalurgic charge. You'd probably also need some fairly specific and complex commands in order to actually get an effect. I think burning it would give more interesting results generally.

As others have said, you'd struggle to Awaken a spike at all because it's already Invested and will resist taking on more. 

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Alright, thanks. Last question for me tonight - so, when a Hemalurgic spike steals something, then it's storing Investiture in it, yeah? So could you - could you do something with that Investiture? Like... say I'm on Nalthis, and just theoretically, I use a Hemalurgic spike to steal a lot of Breath - can I use that Investiture to Awaken something? Could I Awaken the spike?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That... you'd need a lot of Investiture to Awaken a spike.

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Because it's already charged up with something else?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yeah.

source

However, if you did happen to Awaken a pointy piece of metal, that alone would be enough of an Invested spike for the purposes of a Kandra, it doesnt actually have to have been charged via hemalurgy.  Thats just for the purposes of keeping a Kandra sentient though, not for creating new ones or doing any other sort of hemalurgic thing. 

Questioner

Could Nightblood theoretically be turned into a Hemalurgic spike?

Brandon Sanderson

The problem with that is that Nightblood is already invested, so it depends on your version of ' Hemalurgic spikes'. Piercing someone's body with Invested metal can have weird effects all through the Cosmere, but ripping off a piece of a person's soul using an un-Invested spike to Invest it and create one is different... we're talking about two different things, right. So there's the.... so what is a Hemalurgic spike? For instance if you've got a spike that's Invested and you stick it into a Kandra on Scadrial it will still work as an Invested Hemalurgic spike. Making a new Invested spike by ripping off a person's soul, that's a different process and a little more difficult to accomplish and requires some specialized knowledge.

source

Brandon himself has described Nightblood as a kind of "Robot Spren" 

Boogalyhu34

Can Nightblood be considered a splinter and does it function like a spren realmatically, are there distinct differences is what I'm asking.

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is kind of his own strange thing. He's an attempt to use one magic to replicate something in another. He's closest to a spren, but kind of like a...robot spren, for lack of better words to use.

Argent

When you say that Nightblood is "an attempt to use one magic to replicate something in another," do you mean life in general, or are you referring to a specific effect in a specific magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

There are those involved who knew that Shardblades existed before they tried the Nightblood experiment.

uchoo786

So does this mean Vasher had knowledge of shardblades before creating Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

It means what I wrote, and nothing more at this point. :)

wickedmath

Dude. That's the most tantalizing RAFO I've seen in awhile. Have other Shards made Shardblades besides Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

:) RAFO

Phantine

Is that why Vasher uses the word 'investiture' instead of some personal term for it?

Brandon Sanderson

I could be wrong, but I think Vasher was the first one in any book I allowed to use cosmere-aware terms for speaking of things like the magics. (Investiture is one of these.)

source

38 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Personally Id expect him to described as less of a "Robot" if he had any actual, authentic Spiritweb in him. 

Nightblood definitely has a spiritweb.  Everything has a spiritweb.  

36 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

I've never seen Nightblood as being described as a robot.  My perception of him is of a person who's not entirely...complete.  He almost feels like part of a person given a goal and little else.  

This is the WoB that's being referenced.  

• Chaos locked this topic