The Reason Hoid Wanted Soulcasting

Invocation

Obviously you're joking, but Hoid actually specifically wanted full access to Lightweaving, not Soulcasting (which I'm sure he's happy to have to).  

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

If Hoid could have picked to join any order of the Knights Radiant, regardless of the Oaths he had to swear, just the powers, would he have picked Lightweaver?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

He would have.

Tell me more!

Lightweaving matches him very well, he's quite familiar with it and experienced with it. He's very good at using it and he likes it.

It's the fulfillment of a long, long quest of his to finally get full access to Lightweaving.

Even though he had some sort of Lightweaving?

He did have some sort of, yes. He's a very very happy Hoid.

source

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

Obviously you're joking, but Hoid actually specifically wanted full access to Lightweaving, not Soulcasting (which I'm sure he's happy to have to).  

Still, he could have desired to become a Truthwatcher. So why a Cryptic? Aren't Cryptics rarer?

30 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Still, he could have desired to become a Truthwatcher. So why a Cryptic? Aren't Cryptics rarer?

Bonding any other type of spren would require him to swear oaths and keep them, Cryptics only require 'truth' and are thus a lot less restrictive, especially when you have thousands of years worth of experience to draw on and you're already very familiar with the underlying principles. Plus, I suspect Hoid would get a lot more out of Transformation than he would Progression and we don't even know if a Truthwatcher can do the full range of things that Shallan or another Lightweaver can.

• Chaos locked this topic