Skyward Chapters 10 and 11 Discussion

Chaos

I loved the action scenes this week. I'm disappointed that we only got 2 new chapters, but they felt pretty good. It was refreshing to see (the main character) struggling to do something they thought they were great at. Seeing Spenca not being able to execute the maneuvers she studied for years and her feelings of both amazement and disappointment was awesome.

I really want to know what the deal with the broken spaceship is. I think it is pretty cool that Spenca is spending the night there, and I think she might stay there in the future. Brandon pitched the story as "a girl and her dragon" and I really want to see the spaceship wake up and start talking. This story is Brandon at his best; the plot could go so many directions and already we are being set up for something big. MY prediction for the next chapter is that Spenca will be woken up by the ship somehow, and some more flight school stuff happening.

Anyone have any idea how far through the books we are? I think Brandon said it was around 110,000 words; how many words are we at currently?

Great chapters to follow up last week! Now I want to see how she starts sneaking parts to that caves since Brandon has established that she is guarded on her way out. A She will have to be very sneaky, B which I think more likely is she will explore to find some falling parts to fix up the old ship. 

Also on a side note I'm still trying to figure out which cadets are going to kicked out. The book repeatedly says that only a select few cadets actually graduate, so it leaves me wondering... I think Kimmalyn and Jorgen are safe as of this chapter but Rig is looking like they might kick him. Book smart doesn't necessarily equate good pilot skills. Oh well looking forward to next week!

This makes me wonder how things will work out for Spensa. She could make it or she could fail out and need to repair the ship to be able to fly. I'm intrigued with the economics of the world. If Jorgen's family actually owns 3 fighters then I assume providing your own equipment goes a long way toward being a Pilot. Even if he fails, he could potentially demand to fly. The same may go for Spensa if she "bonds" the broken ship. 

Right know her biggest issue seems to be basic needs. I'm sure she can get back to her home every now and then, but she's going to be stretched thin if she has to hunt or forage while training. Getting caught taking anything from the farms will get her expelled.   

22 hours ago, OrangeJedi said:

Anyone have any idea how far through the books we are? I think Brandon said it was around 110,000 words; how many words are we at currently?

About 27.000 words.

19 hours ago, kmosiman said:

Right know her biggest issue seems to be basic needs. I'm sure she can get back to her home every now and then, but she's going to be stretched thin if she has to hunt or forage while training. Getting caught taking anything from the farms will get her expelled.   

I guess her biggest concern will be food. Maybe she'll hunt some rats :P

On 10/17/2018 at 0:57 PM, OrangeJedi said:

On reddit, during the first week of preview chapters, Brandon said that the preview will be about a third to a half of the actual book: Source

Assuming @Sandra's count is right, we're either 2/3 or 1/2 of the way through the preview.

Onto random speculation time!

My gut says Jerkface is going to turn out to not be as much of a Jerk. He seems to have a lot of pressures being put on him in his home life (always busy with formal events, i.e. no time for a normal childhood). He clashes with Spensa now, but I think they'll get over that at some point. I'm not going to say romance potential (because I'd probably hate it), but at least mutual respect. Spensa at least was getting over it while they were flying, but Jerkface messed it up afterwards.

14 hours ago, Govir said:

My gut says Jerkface is going to turn out to not be as much of a Jerk. He seems to have a lot of pressures being put on him in his home life (always busy with formal events, i.e. no time for a normal childhood). He clashes with Spensa now, but I think they'll get over that at some point. I'm not going to say romance potential (because I'd probably hate it), but at least mutual respect. Spensa at least was getting over it while they were flying, but Jerkface messed it up afterwards.

Yeah, that's what my gut says too. I guess somewhere along the way he'll accept his callname and I'll have tears in my eyes ;-)

Overall I really like Brandon's way of publishing his books lately, I really enjoy the small bits and discussing them on 17th Shard. Still, I can't wait for the whole book to come out, from what I've read so far it seems pretty enjoyable.

Spoiler
On 17/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, OrangeJedi said:

MY prediction for the next chapter is that Spenca will be woken up by the ship somehow, and some more flight school stuff happening.

I love your prediction, I hope it happens that way

Spoiler
On 17/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, mr.bug said:

Also on a side note I'm still trying to figure out which cadets are going to kicked out. The book repeatedly says that only a select few cadets actually graduate, so it leaves me wondering... I think Kimmalyn and Jorgen are safe as of this chapter but Rig is looking like they might kick him. Book smart doesn't necessarily equate good pilot skills. Oh well looking forward to next week!

Maybe the Skywards prove their value in a extreme situation and at the end all of them can be Pilot.

Definitely Jorgen is safe, but I'm not so sure about Kimmalyn.

Another possibility is that the rejected ones will be Spensa's crew in her superb ship

Spoiler
On 18/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Govir said:

Sorry, but I think that the romance is crystal clear, though I'd rather Rig for her.

Spoiler
On 19/10/2018 at 9:15 AM, Sandra said:

Yeah, that's what my gut says too. I guess somewhere along the way he'll accept his callname and I'll have tears in my eyes ;-)

Overall I really like Brandon's way of publishing his books lately, I really enjoy the small bits and discussing them on 17th Shard. Still, I can't wait for the whole book to come out, from what I've read so far it seems pretty enjoyable.

I don't know if I like it, It's kind of torture, a pleasurable torture but torture.

I love what I've already read, looking forward to next chapters....

25 minutes ago, Chiri-Chiri said:

Sorry, but I think that the romance is crystal clear, though I'd rather Rig for her.

Fair. It seems trope-y though, which is probably why I won't like it. I'm kind of hoping a romance sub-plot isn't a thing. Brandon has said there is some in Skyward, but definitely not a focus:

Questioner

Please tell me, is there a romance [in Skyward]!?

Brandon Sanderson

There is a LITTLE romance, but that's not the main thing on Spensa's mind in this book.

source

Questioner

Is there a romance planned?

Brandon Sanderson

You'll have to wait and see! This is an action/adventure story first and a character study second. So know that if there's romance, it won't be a focus.

source

26 minutes ago, Chiri-Chiri said:

I don't know if I like it, It's kind of torture, a pleasurable torture but torture.

Since the Oathbringer previews, I've started to view these like TV Shows (on actual TV, not Netflix). i.e. each week of previews is like an episode in a weekly TV show. I always want to know more each week, but being able to come to these forums and make wild speculations from week to week is great fun.

Good to know it @Govir , I don't mind a romance, but a surprising plot is always better!!

This is a young adult book, I take for granted that the romance would be more like a innocent flirting, but never it would be the core of the book.

Anyway, romance is the least I enjoy of Brandon`s books. I enjoy it, but enjoy the rest much more!!

1 hour ago, Govir said:

Since the Oathbringer previews, I've started to view these like TV Shows (on actual TV, not Netflix). i.e. each week of previews is like an episode in a weekly TV show. I always want to know more each week, but being able to come to these forums and make wild speculations from week to week is great fun.

I'll try to see it like you, but right now I'm completely hooked and waiting for the next chapter.:lol:

I could see some romance happening, but I do think it will be mostly innocent flirting. Hopefully nothing to complain about. It does feel like a TV show, most of the breaks end off on a cliffhanger (of some sort), I keep on looking forward to the next set of chapters. I won't mind if they never release the book and just keep this going till the whole book is out! That being said I also can't wait to read the whole thing in one go.

I am really liking the dynamics of Skyward Flight, the way the personalities are playing off of each other is great and we have already seen several reversals on everyone's views of their flight members. I really hope they all band together and find a way to all graduate; but I think that kicking someone out (maybe a girl so Spenca can get a bunk?) would be a really good plot point.

Really can't wait for more chapters; that combat scene was great and I want more. So far I am liking this book more than Reckoners or Rithmatist, a good sign. The thinks I am most looking forward to are:

1. The spaceship's AI, really want that "girl and her spaceship" part of the story
  2. Chapter 17 so we can figure out what novella Skyward shares a universe with
  3. Spenca talking to her family about flight school
  4. This one is a long way off - Spenca getting full acceptance into the flight school and proving to all the DDF leaders that she can do this

PS - Thanks to @Sandra and @Govir for giving me the word counts.

56 minutes ago, OrangeJedi said:

It does feel like a TV show, most of the breaks end off on a cliffhanger (of some sort)

I'm reminded of the Oathbringer previews, although they weren't written specifically to leave cliffhangers:

Spoiler

When Shallan goes to meet with Ialai and Mraize is there. It was a "dun dun dun" chapter ending. Speculation was wild that Ialai was in league with the Ghostbloods, but it just ended up being Mraize keeping an eye on Ialai.

1 hour ago, OrangeJedi said:

but I think that kicking someone out (maybe a girl so Spenca can get a bunk?) would be a really good plot point.

I'm not sure this would work. The admiral is specifically denying Spensa resources, so an empty bunk probably wouldn't be enough.

Second wild speculation time!

I think Spensa is going to eventually be actually kicked out, which leads her to spend more time with the ship in the caves, which leads her to flying it and doing / discovering something big. This forces the admiral to allow Spensa into the Force in order to also get the ship.