Pathians and Nahel bonds/Spren

Gasper

Question

3 answers to this question

It appears the spren would not react well. Whether that would sever the bond if they could deal with it, who knows, but sounds like its both possible and a dangerous idea. With something as small as an earring, maybe it'll be manageable. 

Djarskublar (paraphrased)

So I could be wrong, but a Hemalurgic spike, when you use it and become a savant it does damage to your Spiritweb, right?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes Hemalurgy always hurts you.

So say you go to Roshar and you give somebody a Hemalurgic spike for some Allomantic power, don't care what, and you use it to become a savant. Does that qualify them as 'broken' enough to become a Radiant? As long as they are also following the Ideals to attract a spren.

So becoming a Radiant is a spectrum of terminologies. It... probably, but you would have to find a Radiant who would, or a spren who would be willing to touch that, okay? It's going to drive them back.

So would it also affect your probability of becoming an Elantrian?

Yeah it would affect your ability to become anything else, yes.

Okay, so would it be a positive effect, negative effect...? Because I was like, it gives you cracks in your Spiritweb.

It does give you cracks in your Spiritweb.

So it's easier for Investiture to get in. Does it make it easier for other Investitures to get in?

It would make it... yes. It's going to drive spren away. So what it's really going to make easier for, there, is spren and Investiture that doesn't care.

Okay, so Investiture doesn't care but spren do.

Investiture might care depending on if it's part of a Shard-- if it has intent and things like this.

So it might let Stormlight in easier than a Breath, type thing.

I'm saying it might let Odium in easier than Syl. Because Syl would care, and Odium would not care.

Okay cool.

Alright, so it could be a really bad thing, is what I'm trying to say to you.

Yeah that's cool. I just want to know more about gold too. Gold Allomancy too. Because Miles was doing some funky stuff.

Miles was doing some funky stuff.

source

On 10/17/2018 at 0:36 PM, RShara said:

I don't think the earring will bother them too much. They won't like it, for sure, but I think most of them would be okay with it, esp if they understand it's current context.

I have to disagree. Syl repeatedly remarks about Adolin swinging Maya around,  and never in a good way. I can easily imagine her disgust if Kaladin had put a Spike in. The nahelbond is intimate in such a way that the Spren bonds with the soul, and would in all likelihood reject the Spike and it's foreign spiritual-dna. Anyway just my 2 chips.