Hello.

CoryP.1981

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I just recently got into reading Sanderson's work. I've been a huge WoT fan and finally decided to give Sanderson's books a go since he finished WoT so well. That was a tall task and he handled it extremely well. I am a member of Dragonmount (a WoT fan created site and forum) and enjoy discussing fantasy books with fellow fans. Jordan was my favorite author, with Sanderson being next in line. I have enjoyed James Islingtons first 2 books as well (Shadow of What was Lost and Echo of Things to Come) and would like to recommend you all to give them a try if you haven't already. Anyhow, I have a quick question. When does more info on the Cosmere as a whole start showing up more in the books where you can start putting pieces together? To give you an idea of where I'm at,  I have read Mistborn era 1, Elantris, Warbreaker, The Emperor' Soul, The Hope of Elantris, Eleventh Metal, and am currently about half way through Alloy of Law. Thanks and I hope I get to know a lot of you guys.

Welcome to the shard! A lot of the information you need in books can be found in Mistborn Era 2, Stormlight Archive (my personal favorite), and arcanum unbounded. However, I would say that a majority of the information we have on the cosmere comes from what we call WOB’s or “Words of Brandon”. These are quotes from Brandon at signings, conventions, etc. They can be found at wob.coppermind.net. The “Arcanum” link at the top of the page also takes you there. The coppermind or coppermind.net stores most of the information we have on individual topics. Beware, however, that these websites contain spoilers for books you haven’t read yet. Same goes for this website.  Anyway, welcome!

53 minutes ago, Arlin said:

yeah welcome have a cookie and an upvote. So with what you’ve read so far who your favorite cosmere character?

It's hard to pick just a favorite character. If I had to, I would narrow it down to Vasher and Kelsier. I know for many, Warbreaker is not a favorite of the Cosmere books, but I loved it. The magic system was so unique. It sounds odd, but I really liked the character of Denth and Tonk Fah also.

Welcome to the party!  You have a good healthy start on the cosmere, but I would say it is helpful to get as caught up as possible before investigating inter-cosmere connections too deeply as there are a lot of spoilers, depending on where you are looking.  That said, each part of the forum (and the books for that matter) usually display what spoilers are contained, so if you have any questions on a good order to read then post it and someone will surely help you out there in short order :)

I'm fairly sure there is at least one thread on reading order but duty calls so i'll have to leave that to someone else.

Happy reading!

9 hours ago, StarrFall said:

Welcome to the party!  You have a good healthy start on the cosmere, but I would say it is helpful to get as caught up as possible before investigating inter-cosmere connections too deeply as there are a lot of spoilers, depending on where you are looking.  That said, each part of the forum (and the books for that matter) usually display what spoilers are contained, so if you have any questions on a good order to read then post it and someone will surely help you out there in short order :)

I'm fairly sure there is at least one thread on reading order but duty calls so i'll have to leave that to someone else.

Happy reading!

I had did a little research before beginning the series and talked to some people on the Wheel of Time forum that I am a member of and came up with this order.

Mistborn : Era 1 Trilogy

Elantris

Warbreaker

The Emperor's Soul

The Hope of Elantris

Mistborn: Eleventh Metal

Mistborn: The Alloy of Law

Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania

Mistborn: Shadows of Self

Mistborn: The Bands of Mourning

Mistborn: Secret History

The Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Edgedancer

Oathbringer

White Sand 

Sixth of Dusk

Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell

If ther's anyone with suggestions on altering the order any, please let me know. I have all the books up to TWoK. I actually just got a signed copy of it for my birthday (gotta love my wife, lol). 

3 hours ago, CoryP.1981 said:

If ther's anyone with suggestions on altering the order any, please let me know. I have all the books up to TWoK. I actually just got a signed copy of it for my birthday (gotta love my wife, lol). 

That will totally work. There are a few of the smaller ones where order isnt quite as important, but I see no reason to change it up. Id just toss White Sand 2 (which my wife just bought me :), hi 5) in there after White Sand 1 and you are set. 

You made it through WoT (also an incredible series and how I found Sanderson as well) so you obviously have a substantial attention span and Im confident you will tear these up quickly, lol! 

Happy reading!

18 hours ago, StarrFall said:

That will totally work. There are a few of the smaller ones where order isnt quite as important, but I see no reason to change it up. Id just toss White Sand 2 (which my wife just bought me :), hi 5) in there after White Sand 1 and you are set. 

You made it through WoT (also an incredible series and how I found Sanderson as well) so you obviously have a substantial attention span and Im confident you will tear these up quickly, lol! 

Happy reading!

Yes, I absolutely love the Wheel of Time. I read every book in the series within about 3-4 months, so I'm sure I will continue to burn through these books as well. As for the 2 White Sand books, I have a couple questions. 

1) The White Sand that is in Arcsnum Unbounded, is it just a portion of the 1st White Sand, or is it the whole book?

2) Where can you find them? I have had no luck locating copies.

The part in arcanum is just the (possibly incomplete, cant remember) transcript; the white sands books are actually completely illustrated.  If you are using a reader, it needs to support hi quality images; Id recommend just ordering the real deal off of BS’s home page. 

Hello and Welcome to the shard.

I can totally understand loving WoT. I know most hate it for the long read it is but I just love how detailed the world is.

The white sand in the arcanum is just a portion. White sand has come out as two graphic novels. There is also an inofficial novel version floating around avaiable if you subscribe to Brandons Newsletter I think.

White sand the graphic novels can be bought at most book stores, amazon or brandons own store.

Edited by Rhapsody

18 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Hello and Welcome to the shard.

I can totally understand loving WoT. I know most hate it for the long read it is but I just love how detailed the world is.

The white sand in the arcanum is just a portion. White sand has come out as two graphic novels. There is also an inofficial novel version floating around avaiable if you subscribe to Brandons Newsletter I think.

White sand the graphic novels can be bought at most book stores, amazon or brandons own store.

The length is one thing I loved about it. I just loved immersing myself in that world. I could just read and completely lose myself in the story. As you said it is quite detailed. Jordan, in my opinion, was one of the best world builders there ever was. So far, I am completely enamored with the whole concept of the Cosmere. Sanderson is some kind of genius to come up with this and more than that he is so talented to be able to pull it off. 

2 hours ago, CoryP.1981 said:

The length is one thing I loved about it. I just loved immersing myself in that world. I could just read and completely lose myself in the story. As you said it is quite detailed. Jordan, in my opinion, was one of the best world builders there ever was. So far, I am completely enamored with the whole concept of the Cosmere. Sanderson is some kind of genius to come up with this and more than that he is so talented to be able to pull it off. 

I totally agree. And now I am going to reread WoT =)