Long Game 50: News of My Demise

Wyrmhero

"Sadly, Furamirionid Yuln'Broael has already demonstrated their lack of strength. Slaughter cannot be avoided, so the scholar's inclinations towards aggressive actions are necessary." Sabine whispered this into the ear of the Noble next to her. She hadn't the slightest idea of who they were, but 1 ear was as good as another. "Sentence him to death, lest his hypocrisy infect others. Show everyone what happens to do gooders."

Speaking of do gooders, Lord Quintus was supposed to be here. If he didn't show up soon, the madman Tekiel would end up trusted. Sabine sidled away from the noble, ending up behind Locke. She adressed the crowd of nobles. "Sins such as this man possess should not be rewarded. Smelt down the key to power before you give it away Locke." Savagery was a good trait to have, Sabine was willing to admit, but Lord Tekiel had far too much of it. Simply giving him power would surely be wasted on one already powerful.

So to Lord Quintus, a friend of a friend and more besides went her trust and voice. "So many stories tell of the patience and quick thinking of Lord Quintus, let him be listened to."

Furamirionid 

Jondesu 

Edited by A Joe in the Bush

If one had peered down the alleyway leading to a seemingly unimportant series of storefronts in the Eighth Octant, a second glance would hardly have been spared for the man who emerged from one of the closely packed storefronts. A tall silhouette, erect yet ragged, supporting part of his weight with a cane. Hardly different from any other older man in the city, if perhaps with a more regal bearing. 

Looks, as Olaf knew full well, could be deceiving. 

A closer inspection of the man concealed in the alleyway would have revealed the long socks pulled up to hide a tattoo which still looked as though it had been branded yesterday. It would have seen the long, bushy eyebrow furrowed beneath a balding scalp, and the glinting eyes underneath it. And, of course, it would have recognised the supposed cane in the aged man’s right hand which was actually a thin rapier, and the smaller yet wiry muscles underneath his skin that suggested he could still use it. 

Slowly pacing down the street, rapier used for support, Count Olaf drew near to the gathering of nobles, a piece of paper from the master forger he had just left clutched in his right fist. Ancestry documents, proving ties to a major House in the heart of Elendel. He’d needed new ones printed after an unfortunate accident which had destroyed the old copies. Who would have thought a discarded, smouldering cigar left on his table would set it on fire? Tragic accident though it was, his newly discovered ties to a major House would be important in leveraging connections with the other nobles gathered in the square. It’s been too long, he thought with exhilaration.

As he walked towards the gathering, he scanned faces. Snip Exeutor—a quiet man, he would have to keep a closer eye on him. Fura, a noblewoman, who shot him a disdainful glare and muttered something to Snip. Perhaps when he was younger, Olaf could have heard it, but as it was an ear trumpet had proven necessary to hear whispers at his advanced age, and it wasn’t exactly subtle. He nearly did a double take upon seeing a man of indiscriminate age, with a cool fire behind his eyes, rationality flowing from every syllable. Surely that could not be... Olaf angrily dismissed the thought. Even if it was the same Locke Tekiel who he had dealt with in his youth, a man who did not age was not likely on a level he could deal with. Instead, he merged with the crowd, glancing around for his informants. 

I am open to RP with anybody. :) 

Regarding the jump on Fura, while I disagree with her stance on D1 lynches, I will point out that it is not an uncommon one for newer players to hold (see: me C1 in AG4), and that judging her stance in light of something that takes more experience to cultivate seems slightly unfair. I also believe that Fura perhaps took my vote too seriously, which I feel is important to clear up. @Furamirionind, I was employing something generally referred to as a poke vote, which is just a way to get a person to respond or provide more information, and is not meant to be an attempt on the person’s life. I voted Snip because I don’t want him to get away with slipping into the shadows after making a shorter introductory post, in addition to wanting to get some opinions from him and start a broader lynch discussion (which I’m pleased to see has already begun). On this note, if they have time later, I would appreciate hearing more detailed thoughts from @Cadmium Compounder and @Gancho Libre, who have also kindly checked in but said little else. When you all have time, your thoughts are welcomed.

Miumounder was a cobbler. He was the greatest cobbler he knew. In fact, his particular pair of shoes were his prized possession and also his prized project.  The outsole made of Pinewood, wrapped in hardened leather, The insole, also from leather, hand stitched to a soft cotton fabric. The sole was built to last. Then stitched to that was a flexible leather, dyed yellow from yellow marewill flowers, to wrap and protect the foot. Around the toes, an additional layer of leather, dyed by a red breed of marewill flowers was attached. The laces were removable, and interchangeable. Currently, his favorite laces were being worn. Black, made out of a new fabric, and extremely durable. 

These shoes helped Miumounder stand out. When he took them off, he was just CadCom, the boy from the streets of the 5th Octant. Thus, when Miumounder applied to join the contest for the Heron inheritance, he wore those shoes. He knew right from the beginning that would help him stand out. 

-------

Anyway. Thoughts on the game.

The praise vote actually has the potential to have bad consequences. If the influential person is not an elim, then they instead become a possible elim target. If they are elim, then it gives elims more power to sway the vote. On the contrary, it also gives us things to look for to spot elims, which means that they may not use that strategy, unless they believe the influential person may be threatening to the Elim team. 

That being said, when more consequences become visible, it gives the village more informtion, and therefore gives them a better chance of victory, I would hope. 

I disagree with the votes on Furamirionid, because I don't think he was trying to suggest that we should not have a D1 vote. While I agree that D1 lynches are good, and generate discussion. Instead, I will vote on Joe, who seemed rather willing to push that vote toward a bandwagon. 

I don't see any reason why Devotary would be a bad choice for the praise vote, as I doubt that the elims would knock off the influential N1, hoping to instead manipulate them, and the vote on Devotary seems to be due to their metagame, as everyone believes they are a good player.

17 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

don't see any reason why Devotary would be a bad choice for the praise vote, as I doubt that the elims would knock off the influential N1, hoping to instead manipulate them, and the vote on Devotary seems to be due to their metagame, as everyone believes they are a good player.

What vote are you talking about? You’re the first person to have mentioned Devotary so far. 

5 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

What vote are you talking about? You’re the first person to have mentioned Devotary so far. 

... oops. You bring up a good point. I guess I confused Orlok and Devotary.... 

joe/Devotary

Joe/Orlok 

"I'm telling you, Lord Heron's death is going to mean trouble," said Avi Renault, waving yesterday's news article in front of her captain. "I don't think it was natural causes. And I think there are too many people around who are jumping out of the wood works claiming to be family. If this doesn't end with bloodshed, I'll eat my hat."

"You're being ridiculous," her captain snapped.

"Just let me talk to the Constable-General."

"Absolutely not. You won't bother him with this nonsense."

"But it could destroy Elend-"

"Constable Renault. Stop now, and go back to your real work. Aren't there real crimes you should be investigating?"

Avi huffed, turning around and storming away. She threw the paper onto the already cluttered desk. She almost missed the letter sitting on top of the other papers. The letter showed her name in swirling script, sealed closed by blue wax and an intricate seal. She groaned as she cracked the seal open and pulled out the letter, written in the same swirled writing.

Dearest Avi, we do miss you here in our lovely mansion. It would be so nice if you'd return, and take your place as house heir.

Have you heard the news of Lord Heron's passing? Such tragic news, but I do suppose his time was coming sooner or later. He was quite old. Your father says Lord Heron is a relative, which means you may have a chance at becoming the new Lady Heron. Wouldn't that be so exciting?

We do hope you'll visit soon. Maybe we can discuss your options to meet with the Heron estates to establish your close relations. 

With all the Love,
Sera Renault

Avi groaned again. This was not how she'd wanted this day to go.

Locke Tekiel, first of his name, looked in shock and horror at the slander spewed by Sabine. Madness? Savagery? He knew himself to be reserved, meek and mild, and a figure of forgettable stature. Locke resolved to preserve his peace loving reputation, and so to ensure Sabine ceased her worryingly ill-informed campaign against him, permanently.

More seriously, at this point I'm mildly suspicious of @Fifth Scholar, who is being oddly flattering in a manner that makes me wary of him trying to "pocket" me. I'd also question @Cadmium Compounder's vote on Joe. Joe's vote on Furamirionind feels to me like a pretty typical vote adding pressure to them.

3 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

More seriously, at this point I'm mildly suspicious of @Fifth Scholar, who is being oddly flattering in a manner that makes me wary of him trying to "pocket" me. I'd also question @Cadmium Compounder's vote on Joe. Joe's vote on Furamirionind feels to me like a pretty typical vote adding pressure to them.

My apologies if it came off as flattery—the RP was supposed to make you seem more enigmatic, which fits you better, I’m sure, but I blame any hints of favouritism on our alliance in LG42. Olaf has a long memory, and it appears that manifests itself when I’m writing out his thoughts. (It also doesn’t help that I’m essentially novelising Olaf for NaNoWriMo just to get me into writing more, and so I’ve been immersed in his perspective more thoroughly than perhaps I should be.) In terms of praise-voting you, it was more of a way of finding somewhere to dump my Praise vote where I wouldn’t accidentally regret it too much if I forgot to change it; you tend to be sensible when you’re village, so you were an easy target. Most likely I’ll revise that vote later once I build more trust reads. 

Do we know if a Tineye is alive, and PMs are open?

Also, more generally (as I’m going to go to sleep fairly soon, hopefully), what do people think about our odds of having some of these roles in the game? I’d guess we don’t have a Coinshot, as I feel that would overly empower one house, but I could definitely see Seekers or Lurchers existing, potentially multiple. 

Lord Heron was a practical man, certainly. His current wealth and influence vindicated his decision to support the skaa rebellion back before the Catacendre, traitorous as that decision had been. His killing of the Lord Mistborn showed that his power exceeded any other mortal's. (If Lord Heron is currently only 91, and he remembers a time before the Catacendre, then TLM should still be alive as he canonically ruled for a century.) Yet even the most cunning and powerful of men fell short before the prowess of a God. Harmony had driven away the ash and created the Basin but then did nothing, seemingly content to let the humans run wild. The skaa still worshiped the Survivor, and seemingly believed that he would someday return. Tessona believed in the Lord Ruler, and his regent, Ironeyes. She had read the Words of Founding; she knew about how the Lord Ruler had held off Ruin to grant his subjects a thousand years of peace and prosperity. Within seventy years of his absence, society had fallen to Ruin faster than it had in the past thousand. The wealthy and powerful ruled over the poorer skaa much as they had during the later years of the Final Empire, but there was no unifying figure to lead the people in the same direction. The Lord Ruler had been that leader before, and Tessona was determined to pave the way for him to be that leader again.

1 hour ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

The praise vote actually has the potential to have bad consequences. If the influential person is not an elim, then they instead become a possible elim target. If they are elim, then it gives elims more power to sway the vote. On the contrary, it also gives us things to look for to spot elims, which means that they may not use that strategy, unless they believe the influential person may be threatening to the Elim team. 

That being said, when more consequences become visible, it gives the village more informtion, and therefore gives them a better chance of victory, I would hope. 

Especially in the early game, the more likely fate of the influential player is to be targeted by soothers and rioters, especially if the elims have one or both of those roles. To prevent that, it may be helpful for a village smoker to protect the influential player if/when we elect as influential someone trustworthy enough that it's unnecessary to scan them. While Orlok isn't close to being cleared enough that it's worth blocking any potential bronze scans of him, I see no particular reason why he shouldn't become the game's first influential player. For my assassination vote, I'll go with Aniah (Ark1002). @Ark1002, you've been around recently, what do you have to say?

5 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Also, more generally (as I’m going to go to sleep fairly soon, hopefully), what do people think about our odds of having some of these roles in the game? I’d guess we don’t have a Coinshot, as I feel that would overly empower one house, but I could definitely see Seekers or Lurchers existing, potentially multiple. 

I don't think the House victory is important enough that a Coinshot would risk sabotaging their chances of a Noble/Spiked victory, especially as no House can win if the Spiked prevail. Even if the House victory was important, with 22 players there are going to be unequal numbers of players in each house, so I'd say it's entirely possible that there are Coinshot(s) in the game.

um. Why is everyone jumping on the idea of giving orlok extra power? You do realize how terrifying he is when he's an eliminator, right? He's an awesome player to have on your side when you're a villager, but personally I'm not a fan of taking a chance on that day one. Nor am I a fan of ever fully clearing Orlok, as that has also come back to bite me in the back before. I'm paranoid, but Orlok makes me extra paranoid, because things tend to end particularly spectacularly badly when I'm wrong about him. For now I'm going to vote on Nohadon. It's far better to speak up early on when you're a new player. If you get involved, you'll learn more quickly than if you say nothing and don't get involved. Aonar I'll praise you for hopefully showing up and saying something helpful. @Nohadon

Sabine frowned at Miomunder's words. She had not agreed with the Lord of Tekiel had she? Silence had been his only addition to the conversation so far. Still, there were lovely women taking down all of the words spoken. "Stenographer, has the lord of Tekiel spoken yet?"

Silently, the woman handed her a sheet of paper, quoting the lords condemnation of Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, mere seconds before her own. Somehow she hadn't heard him.

A drumroll started up. Coloured smoke filtered through the door. Bright lights spun and strobed and wheeled around, illuminating a shadow in the doorway. Tall, darkly robed, and mysterious. Exotic animals were released for maximum effect, and a brightly coloured bird flapped heavily across the room, drawing eyes and shouts. Green and yellow feathers swirled as, with a flash of red powder, the screaming delight of fans of and the sound of amazement of all who looked upon him, the Travelling Magician, Imortal Kalfaix stepped into the room.

He wished.

In actuality, Kalfaix hadn’t had any time to prepare a proper introduction, especially with all the nasty Spiked business. No swooning crowds, no stagehands. He’d been shuffled into the meeting like a jack of clubs after a riffle, with no more respect than a measly beggar doing parkour tricks. His trip had went without much more than a gourmet meal. When one had travelled so far they had expected more from their house. But he was Kalfaix, renowned non-Allomantic sorcerer and generally amazing person, and he would make the most of what he had. And what did could magician do without resources? Card tricks.

With a single deft flick of a hand, Kalfaix fanned the deck, letting them flutter and spin between his fingers, careful constructions unfolding like origami. Ignoring the few errant cards wafting to the crowd after his display, the Renowned Traveller spoke aloud:

“O great House Heron! Never fear! Kalfaix, the Renowned Seer, of Tarier, is here. I suspect my unique prescient and magical talents may be of particular use in this situation. Would anyone care to pick a card?”

Alright! First LG, which I’m excited about, and it looks like I can properly get involved in this one. 

To briefly comment on what other people have said, a D1 lynch is usually a good idea. Even if it’s wrong, we get voting patterns and vouches, which is about the only concrete evidence we can receive during the early game.

As for the Praise vote, we’ll want to be careful with that one. As a result I’m not going to vote yet, until I can get a solid gutread both ways on someone.

Sorry for being silent. While looking over the thread I don't have too many suspicions, but I'm with Steel in that giving Orlock extra power, especially this early on, is not the best idea. I have heard too many stories of what he can do. I don't have a better offer, so I shall let RNGebus decide where my vote lands. Snipexe/Joe you two have been chosen

I'm not a fan of voting without any information, so I'm going to Abstain for now. (If I can't abstain, I'll go Count Olaf/Ookla of the squids)

Now for some RP

"I'll pick a card!" Severance called to Kalfaix. Severence had wandered in through the front door after picking up the elendel daily. Interesting fuss about hemalurgists in this group.

Edited by Nohadon

OK, I don't have a lot of time to do this - I have three major assignments due for uni between tonight and next Monday, so won't be around as much as usual for the first cycle. Here are some quick thoughts, though:

8 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Hey everyone! I won’t be making this super-long, but I want to hit a few key points before I make a longer RP post, with perhaps any game thoughts that might have occurred, later tonight. 

1. Remember that this is not a faction game. We are looking for Eliminators, not trying to kill everyone who isn’t in your house. Prioritise finding Elims above helping out your housemates, as one will actually affect whether we all win or not. 

2. Don’t read too much into the Houses, and trust nobody. If your house has five people and three are dead and flipped village, don’t regard your housemate as an incontrovertible Elim. Similarly, if an Elim in your house is lynched or Coinshot, don’t just blindly trust your remaining house members. Many don’t remember, but I’ve been told that Wyrm is an unrepentant troll. I assume this extends to role distribution as well—don’t expect to find one Elim neatly in every House. 

3. Snip Exeutor (Snipexe), just as a reminder to post later, as I’d like to hear his contributions, and also because I’d rather not wait until the last 2 hours of the Day to start lynch discussion. Similarly, Locke Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai). Aside from being greatly praiseworthy, I’d like to hear from Orlok, and also believe that giving him all the political power is definitely a wise move. :ph34r: 

I agree with most of what's said here - something about Point 1 just feels... off to me, like Fifth is trying too hard to make themselves feel villagery. It's probably me trying to read too much into things Day 1, though, and I think I tend to tunnel a bit on Fifth's kind of playstyle as well, so it's probably nothing. I'll try and keep an eye on their posts in particular, though.

7 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

Count Olaf ( Fifth Scholar), it seems kind of unfair to be voting on someones assassination immediately after the game starts, with no information/reason.
Locke Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai), Is this a bad idea? almost certainly. But someone else did it first! And he paid me several infused broams.

Oh yeah, and I don't have time right now. Either late tonight or tomorrow morning will probably be the next time I get on. I will do RP and stuff then.

(I just realized that my reasoning for voting on Olaf seems kind of serious... I just wanted to praise Locke.)

Hmmm... A few people have commented on this - to me, it feels like a new player that's still trying to figure things out, though I'd be OK with lynching them if it came down to it.

CadCom's mixup between Devotary and Orlok makes me slightly more inclined to trust them - I feel an Elim would probably have been a bit more careful to try and not make that mistake.

I feel like the Praise mechanic has the ability to be a source of information that isn't being used right now. Often, it can be easier for people to figure out who they trust than who they don't trust, and having a discussion on why that's the case can be interesting as opposed to "that's what everyone else is doing". As such, CadCom. For my lynch vote... I might move over to Fifth depending how things are at the end of the cycle, but in the interest of keeping discussion open for now, I'm going to vote for Gancho Libre - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game so far, and who you trust, or who you find suspicious.

Quick clarifications 

• PMs are only able to be sent during the Night. I'll let you know if a Tineye is still alive at the beginning of the Night Turn. Until I've posted the thread, please do not assume there is.
  • Nohadon, while you can't vote to abstain, you can just not vote. That's a perfectly valid thing to do, amd though at the moment I'm not counting as as having voted, it'd be good if you could colour that 'vote' in to remove it.
  • Remember to visit your docs, people! As they aren't meant to be anonymous, I have clarified the members on each within the doc.

Some RP clarifications 

• Spook ruled for a century? That seems... weird, considering the setting, unless he himself had Hemalurgic spikes. Unless people on Scadrial just routinely live for over a hundred and twenty years, roughly, in which case I would have set this later on...
  • But speaking of deaths, there's nothing to say that Lord Heron himself is dead yet, as the prize after all this is to be adopted by him and chosen as his heir, and it's also been stated that he'll meet his heir at the end of this. There's more evidence he's alive than not with that, but I am a massive troll apparently... >>.
Edited by Wyrmhero

6 hours ago, Young Bard said:

I'm going to vote for Gancho Libre - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game so far, and who you trust, or who you find suspicious.

Are you sure you do?

Well, you asked for it.

I'm voting Itiah and Fifth Scholar.

I can offer no reason for this other than my gut.

3 hours ago, Wyrmhero said:
  • There is a Tineye alive, so PMs may be sent. Please remember to include me in the conversation, and remember that you cannot do group PMs.

I thought PM's could only be sent at night. Is this correct? or was I confused?

3 hours ago, Wyrmhero said:

But speaking of deaths, there's nothing to say that Lord Heron himself is dead yet, as the prize after all this is to be adopted by him and chosen as his heir, and it's also been stated that he'll meet his heir at the end of this. There's more evidence he's alive than not with that, but I am a massive troll apparently...

Oh! I misread the original post. When it says "Lord Heron is dying" I understood it at "Lord Heron is dead." That makes a lot more sense now. I'll adjust my RP moving forward.

Here's the current vote count as far as I can tell:

Lynch:
Fifth (1) - Furamirionid
Furamirionid (2) - Joe, Orlok
Joe (1) - CadCom
Ark1002 (1) - Devotary
Nohadon (1) - Steeldancer
Snipexe (2) - Shqueeves, Fifth Scholar
Gancho Libre (1) - Young Bard
Itiah (1) - Gancho Libre

Praise:
Orlok (4) - Devotary, CadCom, Furamirionid, Fifth Scholar
Araris (1) - Orlok
Jondesu (1) - Joe
Aonar (1) - Steel
Joe (1) - Shqueeves
CadCom (1) - Young Bard
Fifth Scholar (1) - Gancho Libre

That's quite a large spread of votes. I'm definitely not a fan of giving Orlok praise so early. As has been stated, he's a dangerous elim. I want to vote on one of the other ones, but I'm finding myself stuck on the lynch. Neither Snipexe nor Furamirionid seem good candidates for the lynch, as the reason for Fura's seems to be general beginner tendencies, and Snipexe hasn't really done anything, much less something that would justify a lynch.

For now, I'll place my vote on Jondesu/Fifth Scholar. @Jondesu, because he hasn't posted yet.

1 hour ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I thought PM's could only be sent at night. Is this correct? or was I confused?

Nope, you're right. I'm confused, someone asked me if there was a Tineye so they could send PMs, but PMs are Night only. I'll edit the above.

Also, my internet's quite spotty right now, so I may not always be a presence within the docs. If you need a clarification, it's best to send it through your PM rather than hope I see it in the doc.

Edited by Wyrmhero