Long Game 50: News of My Demise

Wyrmhero

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Skeptical said:

Most of what Kelsier does is evil to accomplish good. He is the textbook definition of an Anti-hero (or at least the ones I’ve heard)

From the above WoB and Kelsier’s perspective in TFE we know he was definitely down a path that could lead to him as a Chaotic Evil. However the events in Secret History and what we know of him from Bands of Mourning seems to imply that he has changed course to more of a chaotic neutral, or good. Especially considering what he had done for the Southern Scadrians.

Sorry none of this makes sense. Writing on mobile tends to do that to any semi long post I write

He's definitely an anti-hero, or at the very least a dark protagonist. I think Secret History makes him a more 'good' character, yes, but the Southern Scadrial events make him feel more like he's become a bad guy, or at least one who thinks himself greater than others. Recall, he took a group of them to the north to make his little set of tests for the Bands, which (along with pretending to be The Lord Ruler/encouraging the deification of himself and other Metalborn) seems like a less than Good idea. I'd also posit that 'Good' characters wouldn't make use of Hemalurgy to evade death for no reason (as opposed to 'for the greater good as they have a purpose'). Considering his whole religion is based on the idea of 'surviving, no matter what', I wonder if in a later era he'll become tangled up with the Shard of Survival.

Also, those posts above about the combinations are interesting. Discord is a curious Shard concept, but I don't feel that's a 'unique' combination, as anything with opposing elements could really give that. I'd possibly say that 'Ruin' in and of itself is the same as 'Discord', though I suppose Ruin feels more like the force of entropy than actual chaos.

But this is very much off-topic for the game, despite the fact that it's interesting :P.

Edited by Wyrmhero

With aftermath discussion long since having died off, this game is ready to be closed up. Half a hundred LGs is quite the milestone for SE, and it’s fitting that Wyrm’s return fall on such an occurrence. Thanks go to him for his flawlessly run game, and especially his beautiful writeups, which brought Elendel to life through the editorials, advertisements, and columns of the broadsheets.

As for the players, congratulations belong to all sides for a hard-fought battle, with the village narrowly prevailing in the end largely thanks to the activity of Araris and the analysis of Orlok. While activity was lower within the thread, it was refreshing to have very active spectator and Eliminator docs, a trend which hopefully continues past this game.

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Orlok, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar Faileas, A Joe in the Bush, or Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: