Long Game 50: News of My Demise

Wyrmhero

Rath, Coop

Badadah is Ark, yes.

That’s fair. I had a village read on you as well, although now I’m honestly not sure. But of all of the votes against Itiah, Orlok’s seemed the flimsiest - they promised to provide justification, but it’s been three days and a full cycle since then. Coop

Edit: Er, @Rathmaskal? World’s most awkward ninja.

Edited by MetaTerminal

Evening Edition 3

The Elendel Daily

Newsworthy Content for Every Octant!

The 25th of Doxil, 68, Evening

Price 2 Clips

Tekiel Appeal Begins in Disarray

Shocking scenes inside the courthouse today, where House Tekiel's appeal against the findings of an independent inquiry into their business practices began this morning.

House Tekiel was charged with negligent business practices a few days ago, as an inquiry found unsafe and in many cases questionably legal working practices, as well as the abuse of loopholes in regulations intended to keep factory staff safe. They were given a fine, but Lord Tekiel utilised their right to appeal the findings, delaying the fine and possibly resulting in an overturn of the fine and inquiry results, if House Tekiel is found to be correct. The appeal began this morning, with representatives of House Tekiel and the Tekiel workers in the hearing. Lord Tekiel was not present, and could not be reached for official comment, though many close to him report that he has been incensed by his workers and their new 'union'.

A man wearing an old Mistcloak burst into the courtroom where the hearing was being held, claiming that he was The Survivor come again to the world, and that he would 'cast down the nobility and distribute their ill-gotten gains to the general public'. When officials attempted to apprehend the man, one of the appeal panel declared that they knew the man in question, and named him as one 'Camon Tonnestor', a carriage driver, amateur dramatic, and historical reenactment enthusiast. The man was led away from the scene and arrested, but ultimately released after a few hours. When asked why he did this, Mr Tonnestor stated that 'I'd always wanted to do something like that. Like The Survivor woulda done. Denouncing all the nobles like the Tekiels and their getting rich off the working peoples' labour.'

A Tekiel representative, Louik Tekiel, gave a statement outside of the courtroom, where he condemned Mr Tonnestor's actions, and stated that when court resumed, they would be raising a complaint that the man had unfairly prejudiced the appeal panel against his House, and that he would be pressing the Constabulary to arrest the man for his actions. This complaint was dismissed by the panel, as they stated 'Mr Tonnestor's actions are an exaggeration and were clearly not intended to be taken seriously'.

Louik Tekiel responded to this with strong and colourful language, which let to him being found in contempt and ordered to excuse himself from the appeal. When Master Tekiel refused, he further accused the panel of accepting bribes from 'skaa malcontents', and made several remarks about their heritage. This roused much of the room into a fury, and it was only with the hastily-sanctioned use of Soothers within the courtroom that a riot was averted. The appeals panel has requested that everyone forget the sorry event ever happened, and has ordered Louik Tekiel to remove himself from the appeal process permanently, and send a more suited individual to represent his House.

House Tekiel has stated that, since this outburst, Louik Tekiel has had his part of any inheritance transferred to a more suitable heir.

The appeal is still ongoing.

Garrik Urbain

Commercial Advertisements

Spoiler

The Dangers of the Explosive Steam Engine

Ladies and gentlemen, Lord Hastings threatens us all with his EXPLOSIVE steam engine.

Harmony knows that only Metalborn can withstand forces above 30 miles-per-hour!

It is DANGEROUS to flout the natural laws in this way!

The Horse-Driven Carriage is safe and reliable!

Advertisement by Izenry Carriageworks

The Other Venture

A new historical fiction from Barklaren Renoux.

The Ascendant Warrior was faced with a choice before her marriage.

What if she made the wrong one?

Previous Editions

Other Headlines This Evening

Spoiler

Imperial News – Man Arrested Outside Tekiel Appeal

The Daily Council – Councillors Stage Walkout, Governor is 'Unreachable'

The Braizekiller – Opinion: The Constabulary Can’t Solve These Murders, and Should be Scrapped

The Financial Broadsheet – Tekiel Appeal Almost Causes Riot

The Copper Star – Kelsier: Proof He Survives!

Night 3 has begun! It will end at 7PM GMT on Saturday. Day 3 however will not begin until 7PM on Sunday, as I am out all of Saturday and Monday, so this conviniently lets the Day cycle fall around Monday and avoids Saturday.

No-one was lynched!

Avi/Elandera is Influential during next Day.

The number of Tineyes alive >0, so PMs are allowed. please stop them at rollover tomorrow, though. That is, 24 hours from this post.

I've been asked if I will allow Actions for periods when people know they aren't going to be around. I'm very hesitant to do this, as I don't like the idea of it giving a false impression of activity/inactivity, but I have decided I will allow it once per person.

Assassinate Votes

Spoiler

Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai (2): Avi/Elandera, The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal

The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal (2): Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian, Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer

Eviterces/xinoehp512 (1): Lord Flamingo/Rathmaskal

Quintus/Jondesu (1): Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar

Avi/Elandera (1): Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002

Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002 (1): George RD Mackleberry/Gancho Libre

Rathmaskal (0): Severance Greed/Nohadon

Praise Votes

Spoiler

Avi/Elandera (3): Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar, Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer, Lord Flamingo/Rathmaskal, Severance Greed/Nohadon

Quintus/Jondesu (1): Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002

Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian (1): Avi/Elandera

Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer (1): Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian

Burrsir/Coop772 (1): The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal

The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal (1): George RD Mackleberry/Gancho Libre

Total Influence

Spoiler

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar: 10

Avi/Elandera: 6

Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai: 5

Jendred/Young Bard: 3

Quintus/Jondesu: 2

Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer: 2

Sabine Seidel/A Joe in the Bush: 1

Tomir Izenry/Aonar Faileas: 1

Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian: 1

Burrsir/Coop772: 1

The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal: 1

Player List

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512 - Eviterces, a person of unknown quality. Why would they hide themselves like this?
  2. I think I am here. - Itiah XII. What happened to the other eleven? Rioter
  3. Fifth Scholar - Count Olaf, an old vassal that once was under the influence of Ruin. Ruin is gone, but what's to stop him falling under evil influence again?
  4. Jondesu - Quintus, an old hat at situations like this. Makes you wonder how he lived through them to tell the tale...
  5. Elandera - Avi, a person who has no idea what an Ookla Season is. Is that the truth, or are they perhaps lying?
  6. Araris Valerian - Ookla the Curmudgeonly, an old man with a stern face. Perhaps evil is concealed within that stony visage.
  7. Cadmium Compounder - Miumounder, also known as CadCom. Why would someone need two names? Soother
  8. Young Bard - Jendred, eighth son, and thus unimportant. You can probably ignore him.
  9. Gancho Libre - George R.D. Mackleberry. Never trust a man with two middle initials.
  10. Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel, named for a ruler of Fadrex City, beloved by all. This character is different in two regards.
  11. Steeldancer - Ookla of Squids. (This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them)
  12. Rathmaskal - Lord Flamingo, flamboyant and fond of hopping.
  13. Snipexe - Snip Exeutor, has stopped working. Noble
  14. Coop772 - Burrsir, too cool for school.
  15. Shqueeves - Ookla That Watches, definitely a Tineye.
  16. Furamirionid - Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, Fura to his friends (if he has any).
  17. Aonar Faileas - Tomir Izenry, only here for the money.
  18. A Joe in the Bush - Sabine Seidel, of questionable sanity.
  19. Ark1002 - Aniah Arkwood, from the roughs. Sticks out like a sore thumb in these fancy settings.
  20. Nohadon - Severance Greed, greedy by name, greedy by repeated examples of taking more than his fair share throughout his life.
  21. MetaTerminal - The Immortal Kalfaix, a travelling magician. You can't trust these out-of-towners...
  22. Devotary of Spontaneity - Tessona, a Sliverist, but assuredly maybe probably not one of the bad guys. Noble
Edited by Wyrmhero

Lord Flamingo returned to the estate after his late brunch.  No longer hangry, he was still somewhat perturbed...  The cafe had the audacity to tell him that he was not allowed to charge his meal to Lord Heron's estate.  Did they not know that he would clearly be the next Lord Heron?!

~~

(Steel ninja)

I'm assuming that there's still a tineye alive even though it wasn't explicitly announced?

...Huh. I thought that tied lynches just resulted in a coin flip over who would die? Apparently not.

I would still like to hear from @Orlok Tsubodai, as their explanation would help dissuade my gathering suspicions. I’d also encourage the coinshot(s) to make up for the tie. The two deaths on the first night suggest that there is at least one, but they haven’t been submitting every turn.

That was a waste of a turn unfortunately. Activity wasn’t great, which didn’t help very much. Hopefully we start to see some more posting over the weekend.

16 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

...Huh. I thought that tied lynches just resulted in a coin flip over who would die? Apparently not.

I would still like to hear from @Orlok Tsubodai, as their explanation would help dissuade my gathering suspicions. I’d also encourage the coinshot(s) to make up for the tie. The two deaths on the first night suggest that there is at least one, but they haven’t been submitting every turn.

That was a waste of a turn unfortunately. Activity wasn’t great, which didn’t help very much. Hopefully we start to see some more posting over the weekend.

It depends on each game and what the GM decides. The rules for this one state tied lynches end with a no-lynch.

I second the call once again for Orlok to join and share his thoughts. We've been waiting anxiously for this 50+ multiquote post :P

Luckily, I should have time before the next round of voting to do some real analysis. Hopefully then I'll get some more solid suspicions. I want to make sure my vote counts.

Apologies, all. I've been incredibly busy with university deadlines, and have multiple essays due. I haven't read much of the last cycle, but am incredibly suspicious of Metaterminal for what seems to me to be a contrived and fabricated reason to call for my lynch. Comments in the upcoming multiquote serve to build this suspicion.

Edit: reading back, people want clarification on Itiah. As I recall, it was over his advice regarding tineyes, and my suspicion that it was to cover for an eliminator tineye. Clearly it wasn't, although I'd be entirely unsurprised if one were to exist.

You weren’t my first choice for lynch (you weren’t even my second) but I deemed it possible, if not likely, that you were elim. Since I know my own alignment, it was better to take a gamble about someone else’s alignment than have a guaranteed village death, even if said gamble wasn’t very well justified. (It was also so late in the cycle that my vote couldn’t have had an effect on anyone else’s.) You are known as being notoriously hard to read, so I wasn’t really able to tell either way. Fortunately, the lynch rules are different in this game, which I did not realise.

I am a little hyped to see this multiquote masterpiece, however.

Ouch, not good. Not that I’ve been doing much analysis anyway, but no lynch means almost no information. I’m not even gonna promise to try combing through all that again to hunt for possible clues.

Also, to whoever commented on me “thanking the doctor”, you can look through previous games if you wish. It’s something I do regularly regardless of alignment. That doesn’t mean it makes me look more clear, but it’s not an Elim tell either. It’s just a habit.

There are two players I mainly want to hear more from.

1. Orlok, You haven't had time to post, and of course that is understandable... But I don't see why you have to post 1 long message. If you could separate that message into 2-4 different ones, I think that would be both easier for you to write, and easier for us to read. I could be wrong, but just an idea.
  2. @Badadah/Ark.  I am a bit concerned by your vote on Elandera. You joined the vote on Snipexe turn 1 even though the vote in the first place was just a poke, and wrote it off as inexperience.  When questioned on this vote with (IMO) a good counter, you defended it.
    Again, you then voted on Elandera for the assassinate vote, you did this after everyone seemed to be "soft" clearing her.  They shared their reasons why they soft cleared her, but you didn't share any as to why you still think she is guilty.  This also happened after several people had said that they were mildly suspicious of Meta, but before many votes had been cast.  I could see this as an attempt to clear Meta from being voted on if you are both spiked. 
    You also have only posted 4 (i think) game related posts.  2 of which all you did was cast a vote, 1 defending by saying you are copying other people's votes, and 1 amending your votes. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Edited by Furamirionind
grammer/spelling fixes + adding clarification of my meaning

9 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Well, if they're going to kill people anyways... Might as well not be ones contributing to discussion :P

Lol, fair enough... Though if we put the emphasis on the if in your statement, it would still be better if they never killed... Though would defeat the purpose of the game.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, Fifth Scholar said:

Hey everyone! I won’t be making this super-long, but I want to hit a few key points before I make a longer RP post, with perhaps any game thoughts that might have occurred, later tonight. 

1. Remember that this is not a faction game. We are looking for Eliminators, not trying to kill everyone who isn’t in your house. Prioritise finding Elims above helping out your housemates, as one will actually affect whether we all win or not. 

2. Don’t read too much into the Houses, and trust nobody. If your house has five people and three are dead and flipped village, don’t regard your housemate as an incontrovertible Elim. Similarly, if an Elim in your house is lynched or Coinshot, don’t just blindly trust your remaining house members. Many don’t remember, but I’ve been told that Wyrm is an unrepentant troll. I assume this extends to role distribution as well—don’t expect to find one Elim neatly in every House. 

3. Snip Exeutor (Snipexe), just as a reminder to post later, as I’d like to hear his contributions, and also because I’d rather not wait until the last 2 hours of the Day to start lynch discussion. Similarly, Locke Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai). Aside from being greatly praiseworthy, I’d like to hear from Orlok, and also believe that giving him all the political power is definitely a wise move. :ph34r: 

Looking back on this, I'm more minded to view Fifth as a villager from it. Given the actions of Metaterminal, It looks like the eliminators tried to keep me from being praised in the first cycle. 

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, MetaTerminal said:

Alright! First LG, which I’m excited about, and it looks like I can properly get involved in this one. 

To briefly comment on what other people have said, a D1 lynch is usually a good idea. Even if it’s wrong, we get voting patterns and vouches, which is about the only concrete evidence we can receive during the early game.

As for the Praise vote, we’ll want to be careful with that one. As a result I’m not going to vote yet, until I can get a solid gutread both ways on someone.

This post contradicts itself within four lines. He claims to want a D1 lynch, fitting with common village wisdom, but sets a standard of voting for himself far higher than is feasible on D1, and conveniently prevents him from expressing an opinion.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, Elandera said:

Oh! I misread the original post. When it says "Lord Heron is dying" I understood it at "Lord Heron is dead." That makes a lot more sense now. I'll adjust my RP moving forward.

Here's the current vote count as far as I can tell:

Lynch:
Fifth (1) - Furamirionid
Furamirionid (2) - Joe, Orlok
Joe (1) - CadCom
Ark1002 (1) - Devotary
Nohadon (1) - Steeldancer
Snipexe (2) - Shqueeves, Fifth Scholar
Gancho Libre (1) - Young Bard
Itiah (1) - Gancho Libre

Praise:
Orlok (4) - Devotary, CadCom, Furamirionid, Fifth Scholar
Araris (1) - Orlok
Jondesu (1) - Joe
Aonar (1) - Steel
Joe (1) - Shqueeves
CadCom (1) - Young Bard
Fifth Scholar (1) - Gancho Libre

That's quite a large spread of votes. I'm definitely not a fan of giving Orlok praise so early. As has been stated, he's a dangerous elim. I want to vote on one of the other ones, but I'm finding myself stuck on the lynch. Neither Snipexe nor Furamirionid seem good candidates for the lynch, as the reason for Fura's seems to be general beginner tendencies, and Snipexe hasn't really done anything, much less something that would justify a lynch.

For now, I'll place my vote on Jondesu/Fifth Scholar. @Jondesu, because he hasn't posted yet.

I'm similarly slightly suspicious of Elandera for the push to prevent my being praised, particularly in light of some of her later interactions with Metaterminal and Rathmaskal, but much less so than of MetaTerminal. Here, Elandera puts thoughts on the lynch into the open, contributing to discussion, and I'm still unconvinced that the attack on her was a WGG.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, MetaTerminal said:

I’m not sure if Nohadon’s abstention is being counted or not.

We have yet to hear from a few people, so I’ll pokevote @xinoehp512. I’m also concerned about the Orlok praise, since we could be shooting ourselves in the foot, but it seems like they’ll get it anyway at this point. For now I’ll go with Fifth, who I think is a possible alternative.

xinoehp/Fifth

Again, fear of me without rationale, and voting for a candidate demonstratively as influential in the first cycle. Why would Fifth not be just as much of a risk of shooting yourself in the foot?

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, MetaTerminal said:

I’ll hold my pokevote until you vote, if that’s alright (unless you know you won’t be able to).

Here Meta requires someone else vote properly before removing a poke vote, seemingly to encourage discussion, whilst simultaneously acting in a way that admits to having no reason for his own vote. The double standard, and the refusal to engage in alignment indicative posting build my suspicion of MetaTerminal.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, MetaTerminal said:

I agree with Fifth’s and Devotary’s analysis. No problems with it that I can see.

xinoehp, Fifth Scholar

CadCom, Fifth Scholar

Again, a lack of alignment indicative information, and jumping on a bandwagon.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Araris Valerian said:

I was just about to post something about Xino and Elandera as well. But I don't think that's enough for me to want to lynch one of them yet. Right now I'd like to know from @MetaTerminal what his worry about Orlok getting the praise vote was. Also, Shqueeves Snipexe had his vote on Ark, and then was killed. I guess I'll praise Rathmaskal for having a similar train of thought to me.

I don't think we should lynch either Fifth or Orlok this cycle. If either of them is elim, then their level of conversation will give us a lot more information as them gaem goes on, and if we kill one of them, I'm worried that the rest of the village won't step up and do analysis.

This is the first post that clears Araris for me. He quite correctly points out that Metaterminal shouldn't be nearly as frightened of me as he claims to be.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Elandera said:

I disagree. If you consider Young Bard's post from N1, it's not so unusual. 

Of the two, I'd consider Snipexe's death to be a well-meaning village coinshot kill. As Bard said, if Snip flipped elim it would narrow down the list of possible elim suspects quite well. (Ninja'd by Fura) Devotary's death is the more unusual to me, which makes me think it's likely the elim kill.

Here's my brief summary of major points from D1:

• Fifth made the first substantial post, pointing out house mechanics and including a poke vote on Snipexe and a praise vote for Orlok.
  • The Furamirionind debacle, which led to a few votes on several people.
    • CadCom's first post calling out Joe for an apparent early bandwagon on Fura.
  • Orlok being suspicious of Fifth's flattering, and Fifth's response.
  • Devotary suggesting a smoker for the Influential player to avoid vote manipulation, and countering Fifth's suggestion there might not be a coinshot.
  • More discussion over whether it's smart or not to give Orlok extra voting power.
  • Young Bard being mildly suspicious of Fifth, giving village lean to CadCom for mixing up Devotary and Orlok in a prior post.
  • Snipexe disagreeing with the lynch against him, since it seemed to be full of more random votes than reasonable ones.
  • Devotary calls out Shqueeves for having a "random" vote on someone who already had a vote (Snipexe).
  • CadCom disagrees with Snip's lynch, agrees with praising Orlok, then brings up several points about possible outcomes of elims becoming Influential. He then provides a brief analysis.
  • Fifth writes rather long post, seemingly in an effort to generate more discussion. Asks people questions about motivations for their votes. Agrees with Aonar that focusing on praise might not be helpful, and asking Ark why he voted on Snipexe.
  • CadCom says he's switching up his playstyle, and the bandwagon begins with Orlok.
    • Fifth's analysis of CadCom's posts, mostly pointing out a rambling and confusing style.
    • Devotary says he seems more focused on summarizing than analysis.
    • Xino doesn't think the sudden switch feels village.
    • I said his posts were counterproductive for the village cause.
    • MetaTerminal agreeing.
  • CadCom provides a counter argument, voting on Snipexe in an effort to save himself (probably with soothing abilities)

After all of that and seeing some of the interactions, here is a list of people I suspect might be elim

• Shqueeves - If Devotary's death was an elim kill, her post calling him out for a random vote might have been part of the reason for her death. That vote also seems fairly suspicious to me. There are plenty of people who don't lead votes, but it's also a comfortable place for an elim to be. With a vote already on Snipexe, an RNG vote seems out of place.
  • MetaTerminal - They joined the CadCom lynch fairly easily and without much explanation. It's not enough yet for me to call for a lynch, but it's enough for me to keep an eye on them. I might also include Xino, but I haven't seem much from them to go one way or the other.
  • Fifth Scholar - This could be my overly paranoid mind, but as Orlok and Bard had pointed out, some of Fifth's statements just feel a bit off. He's been contributing a lot, but it's also been a fairly supportive role rather than a leading one as I usually see from him. However, there are several things he's done that definitely feel village. I think I'll hold off for now, but keep an eye on him.

I am also getting a fairly good village vibe from Bard. 

Shqueeves/Young Bard

Elandera summarises the thread, which I normally find suspicious, but adds her own thoughts. Her suspicion of MetaTerminal this early leads me to further diminish my suspicion of her.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, MetaTerminal said:

My Orlok opinion was largely kneejerk reaction to an unusual power being granted to an experienced player, which I wasn’t entirely sure what to make of. Looking back I think I shouldn’t have reacted in such a way, as Orlok hasn’t done anything that indicates elim for me. But at the time people reporting him as possibly dangerous was enough to set off alarm bells. I’ll try not to do that again.

As for the CadCom lynch; as others have stated, with several experienced players pushing this lynch pretty heavily, it’s understandable that some village would jump on board without much trouble (especially since the Snip lynch seemed to originate from a pokevote). Given the numbers there will probably be at least one elim among there, but I think who that elim is can’t be determined by whether or not they joined the lynch, as it’s something both village and elim would want to push. (But, again, I will try to explain my votes in greater detail into the future beyond agreeing with someone).

I realise this post isn’t very substantial, so I will try and do some solid analysis soon.

@MetaTerminal, why then did you vote to praise Fifth Scholar in the same cycle? He was just as vocal in the cycle as I'd been, and was just as much of a threat with influence. Further, I've never played a game with you that I recall, and am unsure why such paranoia is therefore apparent. This reads very much to me like an attempt to justify preventing village!Orlok from having influence due to fear your team has made you aware of.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:41 AM, MetaTerminal said:

I promised I would analyse, so here I am.

Firstly, the CadCom lynch. The main questions surrounding this are whether it was suspicious, and whether or not elims would have joined it. I don’t believe it was suspicious at all; with both Fifth and Devotary strongly encouraging it, who are two experienced analysts, then it naturally follows that there would be village joining that lynch (especially, if I may add, inexperienced players who didn’t trust their own gut. I’m hesitantly filing Ark’s vote against Snip in this category as well, although that case is quite different as the Snip lynch was a pokevote that turned into a wagon). So I’m not considering those votes as a whole suspicious.

The question remains whether elims would have joined. Given the size of votes it’s possible that an elim would be in the group. However, I’d say it’s equally likely that the elims would’ve just let the lynch happen, especially because the second possible lynch was Snip. Both candidates were village, so I wouldn’t think that elims would have incentive to push one over the other. (If Snip turned out elim, then it would be much more likely that many of the votes against Cadmium would have been elims trying to tip the balance, which is why I think Snip was targeted so quickly. The elim kill would therefore likely be against Devotary, aforementioned good analyst.) So, while its entirely possible there is an elim hiding among the late votes, I don’t think we should restrict our analysis to just those candidates; that would be an excellent way to burn through several cycles without furthering the cause. We should be looking at wider behaviour, and considering the votes in context of other actions, in order to determine elims. 

The Fifth-Orlok discussion is interesting, even if you ignore the reaction to it. Due to my position I’m most certainly not qualified to comment on the Meta surrounding the games (should change my name - almost Ookla season). But it doesn’t indicate anything about alignments to an outside perspective. It could be two experienced elims playing off each other, or one trying to dissuade suspicion of another, or just two villagers getting paranoid. I haven’t been able to develop a solid read on either of them, despite initially favouring Fifth in what was on reflection a kneejerk reaction. But I’ll go through later and see if anything piques my interest. We shouldn’t necessarily assume one is an elim, although that was my initial reaction. But we should keep an eye on both of them to see if they act up in the future. If enough people get consistent elim reads on one of them, though, we shouldn’t hesitate to start acting on that.

Votes? I’d like to hear a little more out of Ark (@Ark1002) as it’s their votes I am most unsure about right now. That will most likely change after I do a read on everyone. As for Praise, I’ve been getting good vibes from Elandera so far.

MetaTerminal goes to great lengths here to have us avoid looking for eliminators in the bandwagon he joined.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, MetaTerminal said:

Ark, Elandera

Right now, I’m mostly just getting an inexperienced vibe from Ark - not inactive, persay, but holding back. It’s entirely possible that they are elim, but it is always harder to tell. (If you could speak up a little more, Ark, that would be excellent - if you’re village it would help us to clear you. And if you’re elim - well, who doesn’t like a little bit of lynching every now and then? :P)

I did a read of Fifth, and while his posts are strangely worded, that’s all very circumstantial. I do, however, take issue with voting Rath for what I read to be a fairly innocent although narrow way of trying to detect elims. If Fifth flips elim, then it’s entirely possible that several CadCom voters are also elim, and he was trying to prevent analysis of them. I will continue to praise Elandera.

MetaTerminal defends Rathmaskal (further links between them later), and votes on Fifth, an active player. He backpedals significantly on his views on the Cadcom lynch. At this point, I might conclude that MetaTerminal was the only eliminator in this lynch.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Steeldancer said:

Hm. Rathmaskal, my vote on you was a bit of a place holder. Your actions are not really all that suspicious in terms of things. I could- and have- seen elims focus on the day one lynch, but I've also seen the village overly focus on it. Frankly, I'm suspicious of Metaterminal after that last post. Young Bard Young bard. Idk, that post just sets me off. 

I'm minded to clear Steeldancer for this post.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, Araris Valerian said:

I’m inclined to think that Elandera is a villager, since during the night cycle they suggested that the elim team might have a thug. That seems like a weird thing to do if your team is planning a WGG that very same cycle. 

Reading through the lynch last cycle, I think Meta/Ark could be both elim. Meta was the first vote on Ark, but then retracted after Gancho and Elandera joined the vote. The reasoning behind the retraction seems a little contrived, as Steeldancer pointed out.

Araris' continued focus on MetaTerminal also leads me to believe he's a villager.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, MetaTerminal said:

As stated in one of my earlier posts: I was planning to change my vote once I did a read on everyone. Ark seemed to me as more of an inexperienced player, as I (possibly mistakenly) assumed this was one of his first rodeos. I considered it hypocritical to lynch someone due to inexperience. It was also somewhat of a pokevote - rereading my posts, that’s not entirely clear, but I think it explains my actions somewhat. (I also believe that Steel’s vote was based on a gutread.)

As for Ela being attacked, I can’t think of a reason for her to lie about that. And while being a thug is NAI, given the timing and a general rule that elims are more active as a group than any individual coinshot, I’d agree that this softclears her.

Link between MetaTerminal and Elendara. I keep flipflopping on whether they're teammates, or whether this is a pocketing attempt. Definitely worth a scan, and maybe a lynch after lynching MetaTerminal and Rathmaskal.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, MetaTerminal said:

We technically don’t, but logical deduction can help us deduce what happened.

Either Ela is elim or village. If they’re elim, then the attack is either an attempt to gain our trust or an attack by a coinshot. Given that there was only one kill submitted, and that a group of elims are more likely to submit an action than a single village coinshot, we can probably safely assume that the attack on Ela is from the elim team.

The attack could be a WGG, however, given past plays where thugs have been killed after discovering their role, and the fact that they have to submit an action to burn pewter every night to survive, it would be unlikely for it to be a WGG with a thug. The second option is that the elim team has a Lurcher, and Ela isn’t a thug. That’s probably the most likely WGG scenario, although Rath said that they found it unlikely that the elims would have that role (since it’s a little OP).

If Ela is village, there isn’t really any reason for them to lie about being a thug. The only reason for a Lurcher to not contact them is if they don’t trust her; but it’s unlikely that she would be lurched in the first place if that was the case. Therefore, Ela is probably a village thug. We can’t entirely clear the possibility of a WGG, but I’m applying Occam’s razor.

Further interaction between MetaTerminal, Rathmaskal, and Elendara.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, MetaTerminal said:

It surprises me that more concern hasn’t been raised over the Itiah vote. Four votes were placed within the last 12 hours of the cycle, which swung the lynch away from being between Fifth and Rath. This makes me suspect that Fifth was concerned about, and got other elims to swing the vote late in the cycle.

I’m interested to see what Rath will do with influence, which could be just as revealing as starting a lynch against them.

EDIT: Fifth, Rath

Less people voted than I thought. In the interest of self preservation (I need to preserve the only confirmed village that I know) I will go with Rath. As one of the other candidates for being responsible for the Itiah swing, they are a safe bet (although I don’t understand Nohadon’s reasoning for their vote). I’ll pokepraise Coop as well, as I think some more activity would be nice.

This strikes me as a panicking eliminator distancing himself from the team, when he thinks he might die.

23 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

Rath, Coop

Badadah is Ark, yes.

That’s fair. I had a village read on you as well, although now I’m honestly not sure. But of all of the votes against Itiah, Orlok’s seemed the flimsiest - they promised to provide justification, but it’s been three days and a full cycle since then. Coop

Edit: Er, @Rathmaskal? World’s most awkward ninja.

Real life happens, and I'm very surprised by the vote on me here. The vote removal from Rathmaskal feels odd, at this point.

23 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

Meta/Elandera

Xino/Elandera

This post saved MetaTerminal, and with the above leads me to think MetaTerminal and Rathmaskal are teammates.

At this point, I'd clear Steeldancer, Araris, and Fifth, and would like other views on Elandera.

Edited by Orlok Tsubodai
Typo

Your clearing of us folks should probably be contingent on Meta actually being elim. But I appreciate the vote of confidence :).

I guess I’d say that I don’t think we should read too much in interactions with Elandera. I’m going to go look at past games to see if there are any trends with elim teams commenting after a WGG.

No 50 quotes? Awww.

Hopefully I can finish this response before rollover.

10 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

He claims to want a D1 lynch, fitting with common village wisdom, but sets a standard of voting for himself far higher than is feasible on D1

I think the important thing to bear in mind here is the psychology of a new player. Yes, that’s not an excuse for suspicious behaviour, and it should never be one. But it outlines the fact that I don’t have a lot of experience. Playing SE games is a lot like swimming in the 1800’s. You start in the deep end. (No, I didn’t take history.) 

Everyone wants to kill you, immediately, and there is incentive to act as knowledgeably and carefully as possible, even as a villager. If you’re obviously new, nobody will listen to you. And if you’re not careful, you will be lynched, regardless of your alignment. This sort of system promotes new players from holding back, lest they make mistakes that get them killed, and voting late in the cycle lest you misplace your foot. You don’t want to put a vote on someone, go to bed, and wake up to find a fully formed wagon against you. So while you are nominally playing for the village team, new players act much more like survivors than villagers, until they start to build up enough experience. Is it any reason to wonder, then, that I would hold off on voting so I didn’t get myself lynched? And when I did have to vote, that I voted for a formed wagon that had the backing for several experienced players, or voted on people who had suspicions already formed against them? Which is another point; Devotary and Fifth were pushing that lynch hard. That’s as close as you can get to a confirmed lynch D1. The result of all this is that new players play like survivors in the early rounds.

Yes, I know I just said that being inexperienced is no excuse for suspicious behaviour. If someone is cleared by village, but a “new player” pushes a lynch against them, then that is separate from the new player mindset. Lynch. If people are voting late in the cycle, however, and trying to make their vote count, no matter how misguided those attempts may be, then I’d argue that that is much more indicative of a new village. The fact that I was unable to form gutreads, as I originally assumed I would be able to, meant that I joined a lynch that experienced players were pushing. Similarly:

31 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

Here Meta requires someone else vote properly before removing a poke vote

The fact that I wasn’t sure where to shift my vote (aforementioned careful play) meant that I would have likely not placed a new one - I therefore left it to promote discussion while I could work out who seemed suspicious. This seemed entirely reasonable at the time, although I’ll stop the practice if it’s a bad idea.

36 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

why then did you vote to praise Fifth Scholar in the same cycle?

Someone stated that you were a potentially dangerous, unreadable player - there was no similar movement against Fifth. At the time I praised him, Fifth didn’t have as much traction, and I didn’t sincerely believe that I’d be able to shift the Praise vote.

(You could also argue that people develop a paranoia of their original GMs. I’ve had a hard time adjusting to your different role.)

41 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

MetaTerminal goes to great lengths here to have us avoid looking for eliminators in the bandwagon he joined.

What part of “not restricting our analysis” is alignment indicative? The fact that I joined the wagon indicated to me that village would have been convinced to join it - I saw someone (albeit someone I had a village read on) trying to focus on a group of people, and I encouraged them to cast a wider net. We didn’t necessarily know whether elims were hiding in that lynch, and it would have been a bad idea to lynch based on someone joining a pretty inviting wagon.

48 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

votes on Fifth, an active player.

Continuing my campaign of not restricting our analysis, which I thought Fifth may be trying to do.

53 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

This strikes me as a panicking eliminator distancing himself from the team, when he thinks he might die.

Survival instinct of a new player. At the time of writing, only you and Rath had enough votes to swing it away from me, and I mistakenly assumed that tie votes were consistent across games. I thought it a better idea to lynch possible elim candidates, no matter how unlikely those candidates were, than to let the only confirmed villager die. That’s why I originally went Fifth - when less people followed up than I expected and we were only an hour away from the end of the cycle, I voted against the only players who I could - people who had votes already. Better to lynch a possible elim, in my mind, than kill the only person who I knew the alignment of.

58 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

Real life happens, and I'm very surprised by the vote on me here. The vote removal from Rathmaskal feels odd, at this point.

You appear to have missed my explanation of why I voted against you, even when I didn’t have a very good argument. It’s in this cycle, just below one of your other posts. Rath was threatening to lynch me to survive - I shifted my vote to one of the other candidates who could be elim. Real life does happen, and the argument I provided doesn’t hold up, but it was a poor justification for a dual survival instinct and the best lynch candidate I could find with minutes to spare.

In conclusion; a new player mindset doesn’t clear suspicious behavior, but it does provide reasoning for certain voting and posting patterns that may be considered anomalous, like holding off on votes and playing like a survivor. Your other arguments appear to draw from the basis that I’m suspicious, which rely on said new player actions.

Morning Edition 4

The Elendel Daily

Newsworthy Content for Every Octant!

The 26th of Doxil, 68, Morning

Price 2 Clips

The Survivor’ Challenged to Duel, Opponent Later Found Dead

Late last night, Camon Tonnestor (24) was challenged to a duel by Count Olaf (93). Mr Tonnestor refused the challenge, and attempted to walk away from the scene. The Count, it is reported, did not accept Mr Tonnestor’s refusal, and remained belligerent even when some of his retainers reminded him of his opponent’s relative youth. When Mr Tonnestor continued to leave, the Count declared that he would burn their precious ‘union’ and all that entailed to the ground.

Count Olaf then struck his ‘opponent’, who showed remarkable strength of will and did not attack back. The Count drew his sword, declaring that it was ‘obvious that a duel has been declared’, and attempted to disembowel his opponent. His attack was wide off the mark, however, and Mr Tonnestor only received a gash across his stomach instead.

Constables arrived at the scene quickly, and restrained Count Olaf. In deference to his age, they considered cautioning and fining him and then letting him go, but further questioning revealed a violent, some might say incendiar, past.

While taking Count Olaf into custody, it has been reported that a figure crouching in the rooftops descended upon the police taking him to jail. Constables left the carriage to deal with the miscreant, but in the confusion Count Olaf unlocked the carriage door and fled his custodians. As the assailant was driven off, the constables then turned their focus to finding their missing charge.

Count Olaf was found shortly after, floating face-down in the canal, with a dagger embedded in his neck. He was pronounced dead at the scene, another victim of the chaos gripping Elendel this week.

Krea Erikeller

Commercial Advertisements

Spoiler

Speak NOW Against Corruption in the Governor’s Office

Friends, the time has come to take a stand!

We cannot sit idly by while money ruins our fair city.

We must make our voices heard.

Send your demands for a new election direct to Governor Wilson.

Carriages Are A Relic of the Past

Ladies and gentlemen, Izenry Carriages are OLD and SLOW.

We have proven the steam-engine to be SAFE.

They besmirch our good name with their QUACKERY!

The Steam-Powered Carriage promises FREEDOM FOR ALL.

Advertisement by Hastings Steamworks

Personal Advertisements

Spoiler

Listen to me, people of Elendel. You have been bewitched, hoodwinked by promises of wealth and luxury. The path you now walk will lead only to squalor, misery and betrayal. You are dangerously close to your peril, lured by the siren-song of your so-called leaders, seeking to enrich themselves from your suffering. The seek to unite you, to "unionise" you, taking a share of each paycheck you earn. They wish to take food from the mouths of your children, whilst throwing the bones with your very livelihoods! The "unionisation" proposals would raise the costs of your employment leaving us with no choice but to reduce the workforce. Do you wish to see your friends, your co-workers, starve on the street? Would you gamble with the lives of your children?

Good people of Elendel, listen not to the foul invective of Camon, of the Union leaders. Together, we may preserve your jobs, and maintain the prosperity of Elendel. Gather tonight, outside the Courthouse, and proclaim your support for my appeal, and against this invidious attempt of the Union leaders to raise themselves up above you.

Obituaries

Spoiler

Count Olaf Al Funcoot passed away last evening in the streets of Elendel. He was 93 years old. He was killed by a thrown knife to the neck as part of the ongoing house war seizing Elendel. Further investigations into the matter are pending but not resolved.

Olaf was a kind and generous man, always restoring with his right hand what he burned away with his left. As an unapologetically rampant arsonist, Olaf was involved closely in the Succession War that gripped what was then the city of Luthadel, in his youth. Emerging by forming a close bond with Hadrian Heatherlocke, his best friend and confidant, he successfully scoured the city of Tathingdwen shortly thereafter for Spiked infiltrators. Whether he was initially among their number is unclear, as few records survived from the burning city.

Olaf was preceded by his parents, Mr and Mrs Dewey Funcoot, and is survived by the remaining members of his various secret societies, as well as his orphaned fosterchildren, his third cousins four times removed: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire. When asked by the Elendel Daily to provide statements about their former cousin and foster father, all three were not at home.

Olaf’s service will be held at Veneration Fadrex Diocese one week from today. Cards may be sent to 777 Very Far Drive, provided that they are somehow encrypted.

Previous Editions

Other Headlines This Evening 

Spoiler

Imperial News – House Heron Deny Involvement in Suspicious Deaths

The Daily Council – Another Body Found, Councillors Stage Walkout

The Hazekiller – Lurch of the Survivor Declares Court Scene ‘Blasphemous’

The Financial Broadsheet – Serial Entrepreneur, Lord Dibbleworth XII, Missing

The Copper Star – The Dead Swim At Night

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar was a Noble!

Day 4 has begun! It will end at 7PM GMT on Tuesday 13th November.

Avi/Elandera is Influential this Day.

Player List

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512 - Eviterces, a person of unknown quality. Why would they hide themselves like this?
  2. I think I am here. - Itiah XII. What happened to the other eleven? Rioter
  3. Fifth Scholar - Count Olaf, an old vassal that once was under the influence of Ruin. Ruin is gone, but what's to stop him falling under evil influence again? Noble
  4. Jondesu - Quintus, an old hat at situations like this. Makes you wonder how he lived through them to tell the tale...
  5. Elandera - Avi, a person who has no idea what an Ookla Season is. Is that the truth, or are they perhaps lying?
  6. Araris Valerian - Ookla the Curmudgeonly, an old man with a stern face. Perhaps evil is concealed within that stony visage.
  7. Cadmium Compounder - Miumounder, also known as CadCom. Why would someone need two names? Soother
  8. Young Bard - Jendred, eighth son, and thus unimportant. You can probably ignore him.
  9. Gancho Libre - George R.D. Mackleberry. Never trust a man with two middle initials.
  10. Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel, named for a ruler of Fadrex City, beloved by all. This character is different in two regards.
  11. Steeldancer - Ookla of Squids. (This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them)
  12. Rathmaskal - Lord Flamingo, flamboyant and fond of hopping.
  13. Snipexe - Snip Exeutor, has stopped working. Noble
  14. Coop772 - Burrsir, too cool for school.
  15. Shqueeves - Ookla That Watches, definitely a Tineye.
  16. Furamirionid - Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, Fura to his friends (if he has any).
  17. Aonar Faileas - Tomir Izenry, only here for the money.
  18. A Joe in the Bush - Sabine Seidel, of questionable sanity.
  19. Ark1002 - Aniah Arkwood, from the roughs. Sticks out like a sore thumb in these fancy settings.
  20. Nohadon - Severance Greed, greedy by name, greedy by repeated examples of taking more than his fair share throughout his life.
  21. MetaTerminal - The Immortal Kalfaix, a travelling magician. You can't trust these out-of-towners...
  22. Devotary of Spontaneity - Tessona, a Sliverist, but assuredly maybe probably not one of the bad guys. Noble
Edited by Wyrmhero