Long Game 50: News of My Demise

Wyrmhero

LG50: News of My Demise

The Elendel Daily

Newsworthy Content for Every Octant!

The 16th of Doxil, 68, Morning

Price 2 Clips

Contest for Heron Inheritance!

In an exclusive to The Elendel Times, Kasaam, Steward to Lord Wayrn Heron, reveals the truth about the ill health of his master.

Lord Heron is dying,” the Terrisman said, candidly, in an interview with this reporter. Kasaam (age unknown) seems tired and worn himself now, perhaps unsurprising after a lifetime of working with such a person. “This is not too shocking; he has had a long and distinguished career, and there are few who can claim to have seen as much of history as he has. If it is a surprise, it is only that it should come now, after so long in good health. Many of his staff, myself included, almost believed that he would live forever.”

Indeed, Lord Heron (91) is one of the only people still remaining who remembers the world before the Catacendre. He has previously claimed to be the only man still alive who has met The Lord Ruler, the oppressive tyrant that ruled the old world.

And not content with remembering history, the man has lived his life forging it as well – There are few who do not know the name of ‘Heron Industries Mining Concern’, the eminent name in mining, quarrying, metallurgy, logistics and allomantic research. Most of our fair city was built with their aid, and it is estimated that almost twenty percent of the city’s inhabitants rely on the company for their business in some form.

The question that is always posed when one thinks of the company is ‘how did they become so powerful?’. The answer, of course, lies in the old world. Lord Heron inherited his Lordship young, and took risks with his family's money, spending it on highly dangerous and profitable ventures. In particular, he helped fund the Skaa Rebellion, selling them weapons and metals in an act which would caused his execution had it been discovered. Those who knew him at the time have spoken of his calculating and, some would say cold, methods, and the ruthlessness that he pursued further wealth with.

With the death of the Lord Ruler, his favourable status with the new rulers of The Final Empire saw him ascend to the new parliament created by King (later Emperor) Venture. This gave him further scope to increase his power, in a manner that a more enlightened and less chaotic time might call corrupt.

With the Ascension of Harmony and the birth of the world we now live in came a great need for rapid construction. Housing, agriculture, centers of governance, all required stone and metals in greater number than ever before. Lord Heron paved great roadways to the mountains at the edge of the basin, and started to excavate and transport raw materials to the city, in the process founding Heron Industries Mining Concern.

One might say that Lord Heron used risk and chaos to propel himself to ever greater heights. Indeed, whether he was extremely intelligent or insanely lucky is a matter that is still debated by many academics today.

But, as Kasaam himself has vouchsafed to this reporter, Lord Heron may not be long for this world.

And this poses something of a problem for the noble House of Heron and the company that bears its name. Lord Heron’s wife, Shannah Heron, passed away twelve years ago, and they had no children. Thus Lord Heron is the last of his House, and the question of inheritance arises.

We are holding a sort of… contest,” Kasaam says, with a wry smile that doesn’t quite seem to reach his tired eyes. “Lord Heron intends to adopt an heir before his passing, and to ensure that the company is not handed to someone undeserving, he will test that they possess all the traits of a Heron, and that they will lead the House to even greater glories.”

All interested parties must send in their applications for no later than the 25th of the month, after which a longlist of candidates will be invited to visit Heron Keep for the second stage of application. Only nobles need apply.

Krea Erikeller

Commercial Advertisements

Spoiler

Arthur Adrel's ALUMINIUM-LINED Apparel

Are you living with the FEAR that your emotions may not be your own?

Are you TIRED of feeling ANGRY for no reason?

Are you SICK of Soothers?

Arthur Adriel's ALUMINIUM-LINED Apparel protects you against ALL emotional Allomancy.

Suits tailored to fit. Dresses made to measure.

Visit our shop on Tin Street for free appraisal. Refreshments provided while you wait.

Dibla's Tastes of Tathingdwen

Authentic Terris cuisine, served in a friendly atmosphere.

THIS WEEK ONLY, buy one meal, get one free!

Personal Advertisements

Spoiler

YOUR ADVERTISEMENT HERE!

Have YOU something you wish to say to the general public?

Personal Advertising space NOW AVAILABLE.

Prices on request. Alternatively, we are willing to WAIVE OUR FEES for NEWS.

Well, there’s been a lot of speculation on who was going to run the next game, and I’m happy to put those rumours to rest. Congratulations to those of you who correctly guessed that I, Brandon Sanderson, will be running LG50!

...Actually, it’s me, Wyrmhero. But I had you fooled, didn’t I? Go on, admit it.

Rules

There are two teams, Nobles and Spiked. The Spiked get a document to collaborate on, and get a Night Kill Action as detailed below. In addition to this, players are secretly placed in House Documents, as in LG7 (if anyone remembers all that time go). They may discuss things freely in that document. If there is one player or less alive in that House Doc, it will be made read-only. The House a player belongs to will not be made public on their death, nor will if a House has been emptied of players.

The game is broken down into two Turns across each Cycle of play – The Day Turn, and the Night Turn. The game begins on a Day Turn. Day Turns last 48 hours, Night turns 24 hours. The end of each turn will be 7PM in the GM’s timezone (which is currently BST, but will change to GMT on the 28th).

During the Day Turn, players vote for another player to Assassinate, and another player to Praise, such as Kasimir/Wyrmhero. A vote will not be counted unless it contains both votes. Players cannot vote for themselves for either Assassination or Praising, and cannot vote to Assassinate and Praise the same player. A vote must be removed before a new vote is placed. Players must rescind both Assassinate and Praise votes before making new ones, even if one vote when reapplied would be for the same player. It just makes my job a lot easier.

At the end of each Day, as long as a player has two or more votes, the player with the most votes dies, If there is a tie, or no player has two or more votes, no Assassination occurs. Regardless of whether a player dies, after this all living players gain their Praise votes added to their total tally, and the living player who had the most Praise votes given to them that Day is Influential the next Day (if they survive...). An Influential player’s votes are worth two votes, for both Assassinate and Praise. If there is a tie, no player becomes Influential.

During the Day Turn, Rioters and Soothers may use their Actions. No other Actions may be made during a Day Turn.

During the Night Turn, one player on the Spiked team can use their Action to use the Spiked Kill Action. No distinction is made between the Spiked Kill Action or a Coinshot Kill Action. In addition, the Thug (if injured), Tineye, Coinshot, Lurcher, Seeker and Smoker may use their Role Actions at this time. Players may send PMs to each other as long as a Tineye is alive (you will be told if they are not). Spiked Kill Actions and Coinshot Kill Actions are simultaneous.

Players may only make one Action per Cycle (going Day-Night), regardless of how many Actions they might be able to perform. An exception to this is during the first Day Turn, when a Smoker may designate themselves and one other person to be protected from Soothing and Rioting during the first Day Turn only, as a free Action.

The Spiked win if they have the capability to prevent the Nobles from getting a successful lynch again, usually by the Spiked outnumbering the Nobles.

If the Spiked all die, the living player with the most Praise votes wins a personal victory, Noble players in their House (dead or alive) win a House victory, and all the Nobles (dead or alive) win a shared victory.

Also, I note that once more, it is my burden to bear Ookla Season. I have no idea how the mods are going to handle it this year, but at the very least I want everyone who takes part to set their title to their previous name and for everyone to refer to themselves and the other players as their normal name.

The game will begin on Thursday 25th at 7PM BST. Before that time, if players wish to, they can send me obituaries to include at the time of their death.

Roles

• Thug – The first time a Thug would die for any reason (whether at night or from the lynch), they instead survive. If it’s during the Night, their attack and survival will be publicly noted. This is a passive effect and does not require an Action to use. Afterwards, however, the Thug must use an Action to burn Pewter every Night, or they will succumb to their injuries!

• Tineye – As long as a Tineye is still alive, players can send PMs to another player during the Night Turn, which must include the GM. Group PMs are not allowed. If all Tineyes die, players cannot send messages to each other privately, and can only talk in the thread or their House Doc. As an Action, Tineyes may also send a message at Night to the GM to include within the next Day’s writeup.

• Coinshot – A Coinshot can use their Action at Night to attempt to kill another player.

• Lurcher – A Lurcher can use their Action at Night to save another player from being killed. If that player is attacked that Night, their attack and survival will be publicly noted.

• Rioter – A Rioter can target another player in the Day with their Action, at the cost of nullifying their own Assassinate and Praise votes, to change who another player has voted to Assassinate or to Praise. Influential players still have their double-strength vote changed.

• Soother – A Soother can target another player in the Day with their Action to nullify their Assassinate and/or Praise vote. Influential players still have their double-strength vote lost.

• Seeker – A Seeker can use their Action during the Night to discover what Role that player has and whether they are Spiked.

• Smoker – By using their Action during the Night, a Smoker can protect themselves and up to one other player that Night and the following Day from Rioting, Soothing and Seeking. Soothing and Rioting will fail and Smokers will see the player as Roleless and Noble.

End of Signups

Depends on player numbers, ideally want 20+.

Player List

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512 - Eviterces, a person of unknown quality. Why would they hide themselves like this?
  2. I think I am here. - Itiah XII. What happened to the other eleven?
  3. Fifth Scholar - Count Olaf, an old vassal that once was under the influence of Ruin. Ruin is gone, but what's to stop him falling under evil influence again?
  4. Jondesu - Quintus, an old hat at situations like this. Makes you wonder how he lived through them to tell the tale...
  5. Elandera - Avi, a person who has no idea what an Ookla Season is. Is that the truth, or are they perhaps lying?
  6. Araris Valerian - Ookla the Curmudgeonly, an old man with a stern face. Perhaps evil is concealed within that stony visage.
  7. Cadmium Compounder - Miumounder, also known as CadCom. Why would someone need two names?
  8. Young Bard - Jendred, eighth son, and thus unimportant. You can probably ignore him.
  9. Gancho Libre - George R.D. Mackleberry. Never trust a man with two middle initials.
  10. Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel, named for a ruler of Fadrex City, beloved by all. This character is different in two regards.
  11. Steeldancer - Ookla of Squids. (This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them)
  12. Rathmaskal - Lord Flamingo, flamboyant and fond of hopping.
  13. Snipexe - Snip Exeutor, has stopped working. 
  14. Coop772 - Burrsir, too cool for school.
  15. Squeeves - Ookla That Watches, definitely a Tineye.
  16. Furamirionid - Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, Fura to his friends (if he has any).
  17. Aonar Faileas - Tomir Izenry, only here for the money.
  18. A Joe in the Bush - Sabine Seidel, of questionable sanity.
  19. Ark1002 - Aniah Arkwood, from the roughs. Sticks out like a sore thumb in these fancy settings.
  20. Nohadon - Severance Greed, greedy by name, greedy by repeated examples of taking more than his fair share throughout his life.
  21. MetaTerminal - The Immortal Kalfaix, a travelling magician. You can't trust these out-of-towners...
  22. Devotary of Spontaneity - Tessona, a Sliverist, but assuredly maybe probably not one of the bad guys.

Quick Links:

Edited by Fifth Scholar

The Lord Heron may have claimed to be the only surviving man old enough to remember a meeting before the Lord Ruler. Yet another such man existed. In fact, he had been his vassal for a time. 

The man had been forged in the fires of arson and treachery as a young teenager, hardening and twisting his soul beyond recognition. His subsequent adoption by the Lord Claincy Ffnord, and that lord’s subsequent death, had resulted in the gradual unwinding of that twisted soul, reforming it into something greater. It was that process that had allowed the man to survive a bloody and prolonged house war, and to come out, with only three others, with his life intact.

Yet the Lord Ruler had not let the insatiable drive for revenge and arson go unutilised. Becoming Spiked, the man was warped yet again, sent to Tathingdwen to finalise the destruction of the Lord Ruler’s most hated and feared enemies: the Feruchemists of the Synod. Yet that too went awry. Resisting control, and befriending those who would support and save him, the man crawled out of the city injured, heartbroken, and full of righteous rage against the Lord Ruler, but his spikes—all twelve—were gone. 

And so he returned to Luthadel. Elendel, as it was now called. And through his later years, the man would participate in daring exploits, deeds of arson and vengeance and treachery, yet now guided by his own principles, basic though they were. Nobility and mystery were his hallmarks, and few questioned his authority, not even those over him in his house. 

Yet all was now changed. Old and frail though he was, the man had lost but a portion of his vigour and fiery will. And when their Houses were threatened yet again, he remembered his youth—the house war he had fought through then—and knew that now was the time to rise from the ashes of his past.

White-haired, having lost little of his height, even less of his beard, and none of his forbidding presence and glistening eye, Count Olaf is setting off on his final adventure. Here’s to hoping for some secret arson mechanics :P 

Edited by Fifth Scholar
Grammar

From memory, the only Wyrm game I played in was LG28, and I died Night 1 there, so... I'm too tempted not to sign up for this. (Also, by the way, Wyrm, the commentary beside the signup names cracked me up.)

Jendred considered himself an enterprising figure. Eighth son in line to his house, it was unlikely he'd get much of an inheritance from there (not without a long string of unfortunate accidents, anyway), but Jendred had no intention of becoming a small footnote in the history books. A competition like this could be his chance. High risk, high reward, who knows what hanging in the balance - Jendred may even find himself enjoying this...

Edited by Young Bard
I had a House Name, but I forgot when signing up that we were assigned to House Documents, so I've removed it.

3 hours ago, Young Bard said:

From memory, the only Wyrm game I played in was LG28, and I died Night 1 there, so... I'm too tempted not to sign up for this. (Also, by the way, Wyrm, the commentary beside the signup names cracked me up.)

Wondered when someone would notice them :P. Hope people like the newspaper style too ^_^.

Arraenae and Snipexe, I will send you a spec doc when the game begins.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Ah heck, I'm joining. I feel I need to redeem myself in a Wyrm game. I shall sign up as Ookla of Squids, which is the title given to a squid that was the last squid on Scadrial, and was accidentally given allomantic powers by Preservation. Why? Idk, the squid isn't THAT smart. It just kind of steel pushes its way around, so don't mind it too much....

Removed you from the list, Straw.

Have to admit, with only 12 players signed up, I'm not going to be starting it tomorrow, and will instead extend it until we get at least 20. If we still don't get to 20 by next week, I'll take another view on it.

Edited by Wyrmhero