title of next book

Warpig

As to the Stormlight in-world book title theme: the listener's do have a written language right? ( I think they do because as I recall Venli and other scholars were taking notes in WoR.) So they almost definitely have some books. The songs would be more traditional in nature. And if they wrote a book about their history (one of death, betrayal, and misery) Rhythm of the Lost would be an appropriate title for such a history.

49 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

As to the Stormlight in-world book title theme: the listener's do have a written language right? ( I think they do because as I recall Venli and other scholars were taking notes in WoR.) So they almost definitely have some books. The songs would be more traditional in nature. And if they wrote a book about their history (one of death, betrayal, and misery) Rhythm of the Lost would be an appropriate title for such a history.

They have a recently developed one, because they were a people with an oral history. Eshonai's narrative talks about how Venli and her scholars developed it and how they got the idea from humans. 

Eshonai removed her fingers, but did not sit. Her Shardplate’s weight would break a chair. Instead, she leaned forward, inspecting the table full of papers.
Venli had invented the script herself. They’d learned that concept from the humans—memorizing songs was good, but not perfect, even when you had the rhythms to guide you. Information stored on pages was more practical, especially for research.

Lol. Should have known not to play the "quote the book" game with Calderis:)

On the other hand even tho they've only been writing for six years they probably started writing their songs down... Sooooo it still works!

I'm interested in the part where she says the Rhythms guide people... How do the Rhythms guide people to the right words?

3 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

I'm interested in the part where she says the Rhythms guide people... How do the Rhythms guide people to the right words?

The same way putting epic poetry to music helped the bards and skalds to remember the words. The Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Norse Eddas were all songs for a LONG time before they were written down.

13 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Rhythm of the Lost would be an appropriate title for such a history.

I agree that Rhythm of the Lost could work as the title of a NEW in-world book. If Venli were to sit down and write a book about her people, that would make a great title.

Each title has a theme

The Way of Kings - Kaladin, a Windrunner which is about protection and leadership

Words of Radiance - Shallan, a Lightweaver

Oathbringer - Dalinar, a Bondsmith, which helps others and guides them to unite

So the next title will probably match the Willshapers, who are adventurers, as Eshonai was an adventurer

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

So the next title will probably match the Willshapers, who are adventurers, as Eshonai was an adventurer

Not just adventures in the typical sense, but explorers and seekers of knowledge. 

They love novelty. 

Still think the Song of Secrets fits that. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Not just adventures in the typical sense, but explorers and seekers of knowledge. 

They love novelty. 

Still think the Song of Secrets fits that. 

Well, they also build ... still, that is a fair point, a secret being explored ... that would work.

2 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Each title has a theme

The Way of Kings - Kaladin, a Windrunner which is about protection and leadership

Words of Radiance - Shallan, a Lightweaver

Oathbringer - Dalinar, a Bondsmith, which helps others and guides them to unite

What does Words of Radiance have to do with Lightweavers specifically?

4 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

What does Words of Radiance have to do with Lightweavers specifically?

Radiance = light

So, The Way of Kings = Windrunners (leadership), Words of Radiance = Lightweavers, and Oathbringer = Bondsmith (uniting)

Edited by Ixthos
and the bringer part

4 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Looser than the rest of the pattern? Do you agree the other two match the orders well?

Much looser.

Oathbringer is clear as it was written by a Bondsmith about his life and journey and Way of Kings was written by a king focused on leadership.

Words of Radiance is a book that covers general info on the Knights Radiant and is named for them. If i recall correctly, the initial title for Words of Radiance was the Book of Endless Pages and Oathbringer couldve been The Highprince of War so i dont think Brandon Sanderson is trying to make such connections.

Edited by Nymeros

3 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

Much looser.

Oathbringer is clear as it was written by a Bondsmith about his life and journey and Way of Kings is written by aking focused on leadership.

Words of Radiance is a book that covers general info on the Knights Radiant and is named for them. If i recall correctly, the initial title for Words of Radiance was the Book of Endless Pages and Oathbringer couldve been The Highprince of War so i dont think Brandon Sanderson is trying to make such connections.

It is the title though, not the contents.

Maybe not originally, but he seems to be now. Also, words of radiance would also be tied to the lightweaver's truths, as they have a greater emphasis on words. Still, lets see what happens :-)

Does anyone know about when we might have a title released?

I know it will be a while...Brandon's newsletter said he would start writing in January, if I remember right. Song of Rememberance is my favorite mentioned so far. Also I feel like it fits recent events in the series well.

*shrug*

We'll see I guess

Full text of the WoB:

Pagerunner

Do you have a working title for Stormlight Four? Have you chosen the interlude character yet?

Brandon Sanderson

Interlude character is Eshonai. I've had several working titles over the years, but one that stuck around a wile was The Song of Changes. I'm unlikely to keep this, as it was never meant to be a final title.

source

I think he thought I was asking about the flashback character, not the main interlude character. Seems weird we'd be getting interludes and flashbacks from Eshonai. I asked a followup about it, and we'll see if he gets back.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, Pagerunner said:

Full text of the WoB:

I think he thought I was asking about the flashback character, not the main interlude character. Seems weird we'd be getting interludes and flashbacks from Eshonai. I asked a followup about it, and we'll see if he gets back.

Yeah, I'm sure he meant flashbacks. 

On 10/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, CrazyRioter said:

somebody asked Brandon on reddit and apparently the working title is Song of Changes but it will probably change.

Fitting :). I like the theme of change for the next book, but Song of Changes doesn't have a good ring to it.

Song of Transmutation / Transformation / Metamorphosis... better, but not great.  OK let's just look at all the synonyms for change. All meh, except maybe Song of Revolution(s). Songs of Revolution sounds better to me, but that doesn't really fit with how the Singers songs tend to work. One song for each subject. The in-world book could be a collection of songs that are all related to revolution or change. 

Song of Corrections is Peter Ahlstrom's song :P.

Edited by Child of Hodor

Since the first 3 titles are all based on books , that brings an interesting problem because the Singers don’t write books . Their history is all passed down thru songs. I too really like Rhythem of the lost . But if we want to get rid of x of y book titles you only have to reverse it . The lost Rhythms which is a lot more accurate to what’s happened to the listeners!!!