The Grumpy Elantrian

Elend and Copperclouds

14 posts in this topic

So we know that Elend is a ridiculously powerful mistborn, as he swallowed the lerasium bead, and thus can control vast armies of koloss or push/pull with allomancy more powerfully than an inquisitor. So then why is it never discussed that he can pierce copper clouds?

Seeing Elends power, particularly in his fights with inquisitors, I had always perceived lerasium strength mistborn as at least three times the strength of an average mistborn at the time of the final empire. So surely he too would be able to pierce copper clouds?

Was he able to and it just never came up? Or am I overestimating the strength of a lerasium mistborn?

I welcome your input. 

This has come up a few times, and at this point, I just believe that he could and it didn't come up, because the only people they would be attempting to find in the first place would be the inquisitors who just outright attack them. 

At his strength, piercing copperclouds should have been nothing. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

This has come up a few times, and at this point, I just believe that he could and it didn't come up, because the only people they would be attempting to find in the first place would be the inquisitors who just outright attack them. 

At his strength, piercing copperclouds should have been nothing. 

I agree that that seems the most reasonable solution. 

Questioner

There is quantitative difference in Allomancy (e.g. Elend is stronger than Vin), there is skill difference (e.g. Breeze is better than Vin with zinc), but is there a qualitative difference too?

Brandon Sanderson

That’s the scale of what we call savant. Wax can do more with less. It’s not just skill, the burning for long, using for so long, will actually adapt your soul to the power.

Questioner

So can bronze savants pierce Copperclouds?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a bronze savant should be able to pierce copperclouds. It depends on the strengths of the Coppercloud and the strength of the savant, but yes.

Questioner

So Elend could theoretically learn to pierce Copperclouds?

Brandon Sanderson

Weaker ones, yeah, totally. He can learn how to do it by brute force

1 minute ago, PelekinikeleT said:

Questioner

There is quantitative difference in Allomancy (e.g. Elend is stronger than Vin), there is skill difference (e.g. Breeze is better than Vin with zinc), but is there a qualitative difference too?

Brandon Sanderson

That’s the scale of what we call savant. Wax can do more with less. It’s not just skill, the burning for long, using for so long, will actually adapt your soul to the power.

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a bronze savant should be able to pierce copperclouds. It depends on the strengths of the Coppercloud and the strength of the savant, but yes.

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Weaker ones, yeah, totally. He can learn how to do it by brute force

Thanks for that

WoB or no WoB, Elend was strong enough that every living allomancer during TFE would be a "weaker one" comparatively. 

I don't see how he wouldn't brute force through them on accident. 

Edited by Calderis

No problem. I agree I think it just didn’t come up. Maybe it was in a scene that got deleted 

Well then since it's kinda related, how powerful do we think Elend was?

We know that he was more powerful than an inquisitor, enough to send the inquisitor flying in a pushing match. But we don't really have anything to quantify how powerful he was.

Is there a WoB on it?

I don’t know but here’s this 

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite

5 minutes ago, Mistborn Radiant said:

Is there a WoB on it?

The only comparison I know of obviously isn't explicit, but it makes him seem roughly double her if the analogy is exact, which I doubt. 

Questioner

Does Odium actually present a real threat to Harmony, because he-- *interrupted*

Brandon Sanderson

So Harmony is vastly more powerful than Odium.

Questioner

Yeah. 

Brandon Sanderson

Elend was vastly more powerful than Vin. Who would win in a fight?

Questioner

Vin.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, there's your answer.

source

Edited by Calderis

Just now, PelekinikeleT said:

I don’t know but here’s this 

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite

Well that's because Vin is already a very powerful mistborn. So by having the lerasium it is essentially taking whatever power Elend got by burning it and adding it to her existing power, so of course she is more powerful. 

This is weird:

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

So what do u guys think that means? Like what is the “something else?”

1 minute ago, PelekinikeleT said:

This is weird:

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

So what do u guys think that means? Like what is the “something else?”

As far as I'm aware, we don't know what the main effect of lerasium is. It'd likely have to be burned by a mistborn, resulting in the mistborn becoming stronger whilst also producing whatever that other effect may be. I think Brandon may have hinted in a WoB that he didn't want to say too much so as to not spoil future books. So perhaps, we will find out. 

It's a question of skill and strength. A savant can do it. Elend could do it with weaker ones if he were better with bronze. 

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Weaker ones, yeah, totally. He can learn how to do it by brute force.

source

Oh and lerasium alters the spirit web. By itself it makes mistborn. Alloyed with a metal it makes a missing. Alloyed with another godmetal it should create sufficient connection to use the shards magic. 

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

This is theoretically possible.

source

Edited by Extesian