The Alleyharbor

Silva

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Can you show me, where this person lives? I might want to hire her. This is a good job."

He knew where she lived. She'd given him an address to go to if he ever needed anything. But she'd also told him that under no circumstances was he to give it to anyone else. 

The young boy thought for a minute. "I can ask her to meet you somewhere if you pick a place," he said. 

7 hours ago, Silva said:

He knew where she lived. She'd given him an address to go to if he ever needed anything. But she'd also told him that under no circumstances was he to give it to anyone else. 

The young boy thought for a minute. "I can ask her to meet you somewhere if you pick a place," he said. 

"Sure."

The woman nodded, so it was a woman. She hid a smile, thanked the youth for the clue.

"I also would be alright with her choosing the place, if that makes her more comfortable."

15 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I also would be alright with her choosing the place, if that makes her more comfortable."

"It would probably make her less comfortable," the boy said. To let someone see somewhere she knew and trusted could reveal more on who she was or how she thought. "She likes places near people. Like that tavern place." He remembered her telling him about having a meeting there once. 

8 hours ago, Silva said:

"It would probably make her less comfortable," the boy said. To let someone see somewhere she knew and trusted could reveal more on who she was or how she thought. "She likes places near people. Like that tavern place." He remembered her telling him about having a meeting there once. 

"Then the tavern."

The woman nodded, the tavern would work.

"I will await her there."

On 13/04/2019 at 7:03 PM, I think I am here. said:

“I don’t,” Redatrick noted, looking towards the ocean. Well, if was on this ship, he might as well, talk to the others.

“Stayed in one general location my whole life, in one nation, on one... planet, now that I know there’s more.”

@xinoehp512

@xinoehp512

@everyone else who wanted part of this plot.

Reylf nodded slowly. "I've stayed my whole life here." He paused, then sighed. "At least, all my life I can remember." Then he brightened. "But it's certainly been exciting, living in the Alleyverse. I've only been in the city for a few months, and I've already been targeted for recruitment into..." he broke off, counting on his fingers. "Three gangs? No, four. Not even including the guilds."

9 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Reylf nodded slowly. "I've stayed my whole life here." He paused, then sighed. "At least, all my life I can remember." Then he brightened. "But it's certainly been exciting, living in the Alleyverse. I've only been in the city for a few months, and I've already been targeted for recruitment into..." he broke off, counting on his fingers. "Three gangs? No, four. Not even including the guilds."

“A...Alleyverse?” Redatrick asked. “That’s what this whole,” he gestured. “This whole place is?” He looked back to Reylf. “And it’s only been one gang for me,” he said, loading his shotgun, “In less than two days.”

Oren looked up as the stars started blinking out and gasped, it looked beautiful, it looked like home a solid black sky. He went to the other side of the dock staring out to water watching, waiting but... no lights came into their waves. He chastised himself for even entertaining the thought. Oren shook himself; he rested a hand on his scarf as he looked back at the newly blacked sky and realizing what it was, beautiful but also something truly wrong.

“Ai,” Oren said, addressing the fox by his side “what is going on in this place?”

Edited by Arlin

57 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Bloodflame?" Reylf shuddered. "They tried to recruit me. They were... intense."

“Yeah, Bloodflame’s the one,” Redatrick said, tossing a pebble into the water.

“Some of them are intense, yeah. This pretty lady, she burned a couple of my former-friends alive. Still, I’m at least used to intense. Worse has been seen in the Roughs.”

Oren walked up to his favorite diner. A not overly big or busy place, not to far from the city harbor, gave change in metal coinage, and almost always had the weather on the radio. It was a great place and he was really glad he found the place in his short time here.

Oren stepped in and Immediately It seemed off. The place was empty, the closed sign was flipped -he didn’t even know they had one- and the Owner was shuffling across the building moving things around. “Hey, did you see that thing in the sky, any Idea what’s going on… wait, are you packing?”

“Yes, I don’t know, and I don’t care. I’m just want to get out of here before another guild war happens!”

Ai looked up at Oren, her vulpine form rippling with concern, “A guild war?

“A guild war you don’t mean like…” even with just a few months here Oren had already heard talk of the Seven Day War, some conflict between the Great guilds, He wasn’t sure what it really entailed other that it was big enough, terrible enough, important enough to still be talked about so long afterward.

“The Seven Day War?” the Owner continued.

Oren nodded.

“I’m, not sure,” the Owner admitted, shaking her head “But I’ve heard tell that there was a building exploded already – and Damnation, I’m not going to risk staying here and watching the city burn again. As much as I loved calling this city home, I’m not going to lose another child to it. She put the last thing into the box and started heading out towards the door. She turned back looking at Oren with a mother’s sympathy, “You and your parents should get yourselves out of here as well, no matter what happens its not going to be nice out there.” She looked down at the box sadly “Its never to late to pull up tents takes.”

“My…” Oren started, “My parents won’t be an issue and hey, if its never to late then there is nothing wrong with them being in for a little longer right.”

The Owner gave out a fatigued laugh almost melancholy and headed out the door.  

Oren watched the movement and could only find her sympathies reflected. He knew exactly what it like to see a home carefully built be lost forever to be burned. He looked down at Ai and shared a moment with his sister. Ai nodded, “-Wait, I’m newer there so I’m not how much good it’ll do but I can put a good word for you at the harbor make things easier for your family, maybe even get a crew to help you load for wherever your going.”

She looked back at him and smiled, a smile not of sadness, or even fatigue, but one of pure relief, “That would be much appreciated. Thank you.”         

• 1 year later...

I move the thread to E5 to avoid creating another location thread that is the same place.

The air smelled like salt, a little like fish and algae. Despite the late hour it was still loud, ships being loaded and unloaded, dockworkers scurring around, calling out to each other. Mike passed them all, felt calmer, more comfortable now that he was close to the ocean, a part of him happy to be here, despite the nagging feeling of another, even lager, fragmented part, that water, especially salt water wasn't exactly what was to be prefered. But for now it suited him fine and he found himself smiling, despite the urge and the need crawling through his heart and soul. Maybe things would be alright, maybe they would work out in whatever way he that he wanted, no needed them to.

He closed his eyes for a short moment, aware of the three that were following him. It had been a surprise that they had decided to come along and an even greater surprise that a third one, a man he didn't know had readily agreed to accompany him as well. He moved through the crowd, tempted to reached into the pocket of a rich looking woman whose part brought her too close to him, but then kept the urge in check. Not with the other three following him around. Not as long as he didn't know if they were alright with a little rule bending now and then.

Turning around a corner he left the docks behind and followed a narrow alley. The houses were poor, as were those within close range and yet he couldn't help but feel a little envious at the fact the whoever lived here probably had power the whole day, and that the roofs seemed to be in good shape as well. At least in good enough shape to keep the rain out. These people didn't need to go and look for another place to sleep when it rained heavily if only because sleeping in knee deep, stinking mud wasn't comfortable. Nor healthy, but he didn't have the money to care about that. Health was something for the rich.

His stomach growled again when he passed a house whose inhabitants were obviously cooking some fish and he quickened his steps, moved past it, eyes firmly set on a small, unconspicious looking door further down the alley. He was no regular customer, most of the good too expensive for him, but he visited now and then to sell a few things nobody else would buy. Jewellery that was easily recognized, and one day he had even managed to get his hands on a fabrial. He'd sold it here, proabably for a small part of its real worth, but it had still managed to feed him nearly two weeks. And he had gotten a new pair of shoes on top. And then there were the few times where he'd been actually paid as a courier to organize items that were hard to come by. If he could find a some spikes, it would be here.

Without hesitating he opened the door, despite the uneasy feeling sitting inside of his stomach. Show fear and they knew you were trespassing. Stay calm and pretend you belonged and everything was fine. Behind the door was a corridor, leading to yet another door. It was narrow, only one person at a time could pass through, which was its intention after all. He knew that there were guards on both sides, monitoring who entered. Brawls and fights weren't exactly forbidden but if too many goods were damaged it was bad for business. And if there was one thing everybody down here agreed on, it was the fact that they were only here for business.

He stopped in front of the next door and knocked in a quick series. It was opened within a few heartbeats and he nodded at the man on the other side. The guard looked him up and down, noticed his daggers, but didn't mention them, instead waved him on. "Brought some friends?" he asked and Mike nodded, "Was neccessary." he replied mostly to say something and then headed down a few steps, into the market itself. It was crowded, a hall full of stalls, with people heading this way and that way, nearly everybody armed. Some argued over a price, some tried to sell something, others simply looked around. Only a few were wearing masks, new ones probably, and he noticed how a few vendors avoided them completely. There was no need to hide your face, not down here. What happened in the market, stayed in the market. It was as neutral a place as you could find. At least the most neutral one, that he knew of.

Feel free to make up whatever comes to your mind, have something go wrong, ... ;)
I haven't really planned anything apart from Mike buying the spikes at one point - or stealing them to be more accurate. He doesn't have any money. So we could do a pursuit scene, break into a part of the market, get into trouble with some guards, maybe?

@AmazingGoob

@A Windrunner

@Elend Venture

Edited by Sorana

On 15.10.2020 at 2:27 PM, A Windrunner said:

Nardo looked around, there had never been any places like this on the shattered plains. “Where are we going to first?” He asked Mike.

@Sorana

On 18.10.2020 at 3:32 AM, AmazingGoob said:

@Sorana

Looking around, Calarian smiles. "How pleasant. Now, my customer, where might we find these nails?"

"We search for them." Mike replied with a slight shrug of his shoulders. "It's a market, it changes. And I never tried to buy nails before." He took a deep, calming breath and then started to walk into the market in earnest. The light was dim, created by many tiny, different sources and it was surprisingly crowded. For a few minutes he wondered why, until he recalled the festival and the fact that it was late at night. Both playing together lead to a lot of people either deciding to go here for the pure chill, or having aquired a few goods that were out of the ordinary.

He moved through the crowd, unsure where to go, but knew that he needed to get to the places where most thieves like himself had no place and no reason to go. "Over there maybe." he gestured towards a part near the end, where he could see various weapons on display. "With some luck someone over there might have what we need." Something stired and he turned his head around, looked over the crowd. "No," he whispered. "over there." making a sharp turn he started to walk in a completely different direction, towards a small stall set between two larger ones. The one to the right sold fabrials, glowing, sound emitting fabrials while the other one was full of people exclaiming their delight about some animals. But the one in the middle was more or less empty, an older man waiting behind a small counter. There. That one looked good.

On 19.10.2020 at 6:29 PM, AmazingGoob said:

@A Windrunner @Sorana
Seeing where Mike is looking, Calarian walks ups to the vendor and says, "Tell me, my friend, what do you sell at this fine stall?" He stands up straight, towering over the man, trying to seem as if he comes from a position of power.

On 19.10.2020 at 7:05 PM, A Windrunner said:

Nardo looks at the vender Calarian walked up to, what was Mike going to do with long nails? “Do you have any long nails?” Nardo adds to Calarian’s comment.

@Sorana @AmazingGoob

Surprised Mike watched as the two of them took point, immediatly headed over to the vendor. The man frowned, looking up uneasily. "Long nails?" he inquired, his eyes moving over the three of them. A slight sneer moved over his face when he saw Mike, but the finer clothing of the other two seemed to convince him that they were able to pay for his goods.

"Lucky you, I think I might have what you need." Reaching under his counter he placed a few long boxes on it. "Do you have any preference regarding the material or the length? I only sell high quality goods, all metals were prepared carefully, the alloys exact. I have different sizes," he opened a box and removed a spike, or a long nail however you wanted to phrase it, "depending on where you want to apply them."

Mike's eyes focused on the spikes as he walked closer. "That's it." he whispered, a hunger entering his eyes. "Something less silver looking." his hands clutched the table and he shifted his weight from one foot to the other in a try to stay calm. The vendor carefully placed the spike back into its box and opened another one, presenting the spike on both hands. "Is this more to your liking young man?" he asked, although his eyes and posture showed that he was mostly asking Mike's companions.

Nodding Mike looked at it, at a loss for words. The spike, the color, it touched something inside of him, triggered something. Pain, fear. A lab, the smell of something sharp, a man, no a woman, no a man, he wasn't sure anymore. Ko'Tiel. The name, he remembered the name, the bright light. The question. With or without hemalurgy. The fearful sounds of the animals trapped in their boxes. "I need it." he groaned, his voice raw. "Seven. I need seven." He needed to have them back, to fill the holes. He needed to.

Edited by Sorana

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

Mike's eyes focused on the spikes as he walked closer. "That's it." he whispered, a hunger entering his eyes. "Something less silver looking." his hands clutched the table and he shifted his weight from one foot to the other in a try to stay calm. The vendor carefully placed the spike back into its box and opened another one, presenting the spike on both hands. "Is this more to your liking young man?" he asked, although his eyes and posture showed that he was mostly asking Mike's companions.

Nodding Mike looked at it, at a loss for words. The spike, the color, it touched something inside of him, triggered something. Pain, fear. A lab, the smell of something sharp, a man, no a woman, no a man, he wasn't sure anymore. Ko'Tiel. The name, he remembered the name, the bright light. The question. With or without hemalurgy. The fearful sounds of the animals trapped in their boxes. "I need it." he groaned, his voice raw. "Seven. I need seven." He needed to have them back, to fill the holes. He needed to.

Watching this, Calarian's face goes from the cheery optimism to the great worry you had seen earlier. He could see the hunger, the pain and fear in his eyes. Something was very, very wrong with this kid. He had an idea of what might of happened- but this was far worse than what he had imagined. 
Talking to the vendor, he says "Excuse me sir, I need to talk for a moment." He then grabs Mike's collar and practically drags him into a nearby empty alley.
"What happened to you, Mike?"

On 22.10.2020 at 1:12 PM, A Windrunner said:

Nardo walked up to Mike, “Now that that’s done do you think you could point me in the direction of the scholars guild?” Nardo looked at the vendor, he expected something from him, “What so you want?” Nardo said to the rhythm of irritation. @Sorana @AmazingGoob

On 22.10.2020 at 8:55 PM, AmazingGoob said:

Watching this, Calarian's face goes from the cheery optimism to the great worry you had seen earlier. He could see the hunger, the pain and fear in his eyes. Something was very, very wrong with this kid. He had an idea of what might of happened- but this was far worse than what he had imagined. 
Talking to the vendor, he says "Excuse me sir, I need to talk for a moment." He then grabs Mike's collar and practically drags him into a nearby empty alley.
"What happened to you, Mike?"

"Sure." Mike tied his eyes away from the spikes, wondering how he might pay for them. But for now,  first the question Nardo had asked. "Just leave the market and then follow the main street. There it would the easiest-"

Calarian grabbed his arm and dragged him away, interrupting his explanation. He allowed himself to be towed into a more or less empty alley. The question surprised him, partially and at the same time it made sense, far more sense than anything had in a few days. His eyes moved over to the spikes again. It was as if a part of his mind had been cleared and at the same time it was still clouded, difficult to grasp if not to understand. But the spikes, the spikes, he needed the spikes.

"I took a gun." he started hesitantly, voicing what came to his mind. "It was a test of some sorts but I was so angry. I don't know why,  I just remember the fury, how I pointed it at him, at -"

He stopped, grimaced and pressed his fists against his eyes. "I need them." He looked over at the spikes again. "There are holes where, I need to fill, I need to -" with a groan he pressed his teeth together. "They are here, I can nearly hear their voices, the urge to protect, the slyness, the fear, and then there -" shaking his head. "Something is wrong, it doesn't fit, I feel as if,  I know that I need them. I need to be, to fill the holes again."

Desperation entered his eyes when he looked at him, tried to explain something he couldn't grasp himself.