The Alleyharbor

Silva

5 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

The back of the card read:

Good, you decided to help! It seems that Nekorb got incinerated by the bomb. There's not much of him left, but he's hanging on somehow. Can you Tia over there and get his remains to a hospital? All the required Tia cards are on the top of the deck.

Lena looked up to see a stranger ask her a question, only to walk away directly afterwards.

Reading the backside she looked through the cards and sighed. Help Nekorb? Cursing herself for the part where she had agreed to help Freedom in the first place she looked for the right card to go to the Den of Thieves.

Rekaerb bowed and gestured at the boat. "I think I can help you."

~~~~~~~

Neil. A gritted his teeth as the small boat roared through the swirling tunnel of water. Would this journey ever end?

Daa must have sensed his discomfort. "Calm down, Neil." The small plate on the floor of the boat vibrated as the seon spoke through it. "We're almost there."

As he finished his words, light appeared up ahead. The light grew bigger as the boat raced towards it.

The boat shot through the hole and raced up the side of the whirlpool. Neil held on for dear life as the tiny seacraft crested the lip and sailed into the oddly smooth waters beyond.

At that point, the motor kicked in. Neil relaxed as the boat moved quietly towards the edge of the lake where the docks were. He was glad that was over.

A cloaked figure carrying a pile of green papers walked quickly to the front of one of the small shops near to docks. They tape it onto the window and move to the next shop, taping up another one. Then to another. And another. Soon all the little storefronts have a green paper on them, flapping slightly in the light breeze. The person hurries off with the rest of the papers, but not before some wind blows back their hood to reveal long dark hair.

If one were to read one of the papers, they would find the following on it:

Spoiler

A message for the masses,

How many of us have felt overlooked just because we weren’t The One? For good or for evil - doesn’t really make a difference.

How many of us have just been bystanders and side-characters to someone else’s story? The only reason they got to that point, but never acknowledged for it?

I’m not here to say that the system we seem to have developed is completely awful. There are many things about the spotlight that I never would want. Danger always. Constant attention. No breaks.

I’m not here to say that we should let it stay exactly the same either. We are people too. We deserve the right to be heard too. The new formation of a government should help, but it won’t solve everything.

It doesn’t give those us who want to do something for our world, yet still are hesitant to jump into heroism or villainy, another choice. No one ever remembers us. The ones who don’t conform to either norm.

For that reason I put these up today. For reasons I will redact for now, I can’t trust myself to be around others. It would make sense if I were to disclose the issue completely. But I won’t because I still don’t know everything about the problem and to spread false information would be worse than sharing none at all. I would much rather be standing in front of people giving this as talk rather than sticking papers everywhere. Bear with me please despite this hurdle please. I wish to propose something new. Something I don’t think has ever been done before.

Before a year ago I thought I could do anything just as good as anyone. I was wrong. Terribly. Standard methods will only end in failure. It’s a harsh truth, but that doesn’t make it false. Harmony has made it so we have things a bit harder. Fine. It just means we become less predictable.

What do I suggest?

Confederation.

The word sounds a lot scarier than it really is. No one wants to lose a right to their individuality and personal wants, but at the end of the day most of us do have a similar goal. To help out for the common good. Confederation would allow just that. A loose association of people who are willing to work together on occasion for the same goal.

How is this any different from guild or other such groups? Simple. This would require little to no commitment. Anyone can come and go as they please. I don’t want anyone ever to feel obligation of any sort. The goal of this is to create positive bonds between people. To create a group of people that know they can depend on one another in their time’s of need who are willing to be the aid to the others.

I know this is a lot of words and not a lot of content. I’ve been sitting at a desk writing this over and over, but I can never quite get my goal across without it all and even with it still isn’t as clear as I would like it.

There are those of us who aren’t skilled. Those of us who aren’t amazing. Those of us who may even be downright normal and boring. I want to unite us and I want us to show the rest that we are worth just as much as those born powerful if not more. Being born with less doesn’t mean we are worth less. We can do just as much. We just need different methods.

Remember the Seven Day War almost eighteen years ago? That was what happened when those types of group collided. Seventeen years is a long time. It’s only a matter of time before it happens again. It could be tomorrow or seventeen years from now, but it shouldn’t make much of a difference. The heroes in our worlds our reactive only to the big things. They don’t have the means or numbers to stop it before it gets large even though we the little people are caught up in the results of it all.

Look around you. Can you find a single person here who hasn’t lost anyone as a result of that? I sincerely doubt it. We live in a world where we are the replaceables. The not important ones. The people who won’t even make a footnote in history.

I don’t know what we can do as a confederation. It’s taken me this long to even reach the conclusion that that is what we need. For now I’m just going to keep spreading these essays and new ones around. An answer will come. And hopefully that answer will come soon enough that by the next time tragedy tries to hit, we will be unified enough to not let it.

For now, just reach out to a stranger. Show them that their existence matters to you. Who knows, maybe one day when it all goes to ruin they’ll be there to pull you out.

-Adoda

Postscript: Every cheesy statement you’ve ever heard has had a purpose. Listen to them. Don’t dismiss their writers as foolish. They’ve seen what we haven’t  - a world of good.

I'd RP these going up everywhere (like in every thread), but someone would be bound to get annoyed. So I'll constrain the propaganda to here. For now. 

Yes, there's going to be more of it. Lot's more. Hopefully. 

Edited by Silva

"Thank you sir! Is there a traveling fee or a free trip?"

Teksa looked in the direction the man was pointing, which was out into the harbor. A big glorious boat appeared over the horizon, coming ever closer to the docks. Teksa felt his heart bounce and a smile touch his face. The time for him to leave was getting closer and closer, he just couldn't believe it! What was he going to find out there? He did a quick check up on his bags to be sure that he had everything. 

A couple of warm comfortable blankets, loads of chalk, books for reading (a few are dedicated to investure and how it works), clothes, rations, waterskins, a small sum of spheres, and a knife. You can never be too careful right? All of his belongings are stuffed into two bags that he keeps very close to his person, wouldn't want someone stealing one of his bags after all. But why should he carry them himself?

Teksa grabs one of the many pieces of chalk in one of the bags and starts drawing a very large and detailed man on the ground. It only takes him five minutes to finish and he looks proud of himself when he looks at his handy work. He suddenly looks extremely focused on the drawing, which starts pulling itself from the ground. The Chalkstruct stands at six feet tall and wears an overcoat and fedora. It kind of looks like Teksa, except it, looks way more handsome, with very pronounced muscles. Without a single word spoken or action taken from Teksa, it takes the bags proffered by his arms.

A small boy placed a pile of folded green papers in a mostly empty newstand. He just did what he was told and didn't ask questions. Literate people would do as literate people would. Their matters didn't really bother him.

These papers had a new message on them.

Spoiler

You saw the color again, but you weren’t scared away. That’s enough for now. Means you either agree to some extent or are just interested enough in how crazy I’ll sound this time. I hope that you’ve taken the time to think over what I said last time.

The change we need won’t come overnight. Despite being the sole constant in the cosmere, change is also one of the slowest things. Maybe that’s why it is a constant. Food for thought.

Anyways, we need to start somewhere. I’d like to suggest beginning with the government. “But Adoda!” you cry. “Didn’t you say last time that that wouldn’t solve everything?”

Yes. Yes I did. But not solving EVERYTHING doesn’t make it useless. There’s one problem when dealing with the government though. We aren’t a guild. We get no vote. I refuse to give in to that requirement though. I dislike the guild concept. We shouldn’t have to be bound together to be unified. We should be able to be represented without that. It won’t matter how many of us sit in on the sessions. We still don’t have our voices heard. Consider that. I don’t wish to be an anarchist and destroy the system before it has even begun. I just want us to have the equality we deserve. We can’t change the law from here - we need contacts. Senator contacts who WILL listen. Some won’t be willing to help, but others might if we give them a chance.

I know that sounds against almost everything I’ve ever said. Depend on those above us? Rely on them to have pity? If that feels like hypocrisy to you, then you’ve been reading me wrong. Again, I DON’T want anarchy. I DON’T want to smash everything into pieces. I really don’t. That goes against everything I’ve ever been told is good. There’s no purpose in ruining something just to replace it with something worse. That’s what would happen if we all went out rioting with the intent of destruction. First off, we’d fail. Miserably. And secondly, if we did succeed, what then?

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking through all of this. Still not enough, but probably more than anyone else like us ever has. We need to be smart with every single thing we do. There’s not a lot of room for messing up. But there’s not really anywhere to fall. Nothing to be scared of if things do wrong. We’re already cannon fodder. What more can be done to us?

Only good can come from us trying - the pros outweigh the cons a thousand times over in this case. So reach out to a senator. Send them a message. Whether you be rich or poor. Important or forgettable. Do what you know is right and help the NPCs and the minor PCs.

I know how pathetic this sounds, just know there is reasoning behind everything. Probably more than you even consider.

As always,

Adoda

Lin's note: Ignore Adoda's hesitance please. She's always been hesitant to depend too much on anything.

Adoda's note: Really Lin? I would have thought that that was more you.

Lin's note: The difference is that I've got reason to. You don't.

Adoda's note: Ignore Lin please. The only reason this is staying in is because we believe in complete transparency. 

Just needed to get Lin in. And needed to show how inexperienced they both are. :P

Edited by Silva
Forgot a word.

• 2 weeks later...

Redatrick followed the directions in the piece of paper he held, grabbing his hat in one hand to stop it from travelling in the wind. His red bandanna was still up, covering the lower half of his face, leaving his eyes to look at the harbour.

“I’m here for some sort of expedition?” He asked. 

The door to the lower deck creaked as Enolc pushed it open. He looked at the hinges and sighed. Only a few days, and they were already getting squeaky? He turned, shaking his head, and his eyes fell upon the small group that had begun to gather. His face lit up. "Are you here for the expedition?"

Hey, @Sherlock Holmes, did you say you were interested earlier?

@Sherlock Holmes

6 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Ciera stepped out of a gateway and clapped her hands.

"I would like to come as well. But, I have an associate that can't be here until it's dark. I was hoping we could wait that long before we get underway..."

Enolc turned towards the horizon. The sun was already beginning to set. He chewed his lip, deep in thought.

"We'll be leaving after the Alleystorm, which arrives in a couple of hours. Can your associate be here by then?"

Behind him, he heard the crash of the hut as X knocked it over. He turned around and winced when he saw the two scientists from TUBA crawling angrily out of the wreckage. Of course they'd be in the one hut that got knocked over.

Three people walked over. One had a spike through each eye, though somehow still managing to glare distrustfully at the other two, even though he was the one trailing scarlet blood. Both of the pair had three diamonds tattooed on their foreheads. They wore black robes, and each had a katana. In unison, one of the people from the pair and the spiked man spoke. "We'reI'm here to join the expedition." Both turned and glared.

As the sun finaally fell below the horizon, Ciera smiled widely and waved, a gateway rotating open next to her. A second woman tumbled out of the magic gate. She looked as if she had been sleeping in her clothes and was deathly pale.  She rubbed her eyes and looked at Ciera with a curious expression. 

"Why? I was gonna get over here as soon as I could." 

Redatrick looked at the woman who’d come out of nowhere. “You... how’d you just appear like that?” And he looked to the man with the spikes in his eyes and jumped. Mike had had spikes, but not in his eyes. Was this another experiment? How did the man see? Maybe things were dangerous out here.

Edited by I think I am here.