The meaning of "Autonomy"

Calderis

Inertia is the law of motion where an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion unless changed.  Stagnation is an affect of staying in one place without moving, so it is what happens when inertia makes an object do nothing.  Stagnation would probably be the name of the shard had someone lazy and slothful taken it up.  But I think the Fundamental Force it is trying to impart is that of Inertia.

7 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Inertia is the law of motion where an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion unless changed.  Stagnation is an affect of staying in one place without moving, so it is what happens when inertia makes an object do nothing.  Stagnation would probably be the name of the shard had someone lazy and slothful taken it up.  But I think the Fundamental Force it is trying to impart is that of Inertia.

Maybe. At any rate, I think that ‘stasis’ is probably the better term. But yes, that’s how I view them. Ruin is regression, entropy and disorder; Preservation is stagnation, stability and stasis; and Cultivation is progression/evolution, growth, and refinement. (And yes Calderis, I realize that all three of these descriptions are likely significant oversimplifications of what the Shards are, but I think they capture the basic gist).

I actually think that Calderis’ interpretation of Autonomy is reasonably plausible as it goes, although I do think it has a few problems, not least of which being the blatant hypocrisy and almost cartoon villain reasoning I see it requiring of Bavadin for it to work, but it’s the most plausible theory of Autonomy I’ve yet heard.

11 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Ruin is regression, entropy and disorder

Isn't this due to Ati's temperament, in both senses of that word (Ati tempered Ruin due to his temperament)? Also, I think if he'd gotten his "body" back, he'd have executed a nova-style move to destroy Scadrial.* I mean he was already (indirectly) setting off volcanoes so he'd moved on to a flashy style of apocalypse, not just a slow spiral into the grave.

*EDIT: Though to fit the entropy image, maybe it'd've been more Thanos-esque.

Edited by Ripheus23

Why is it that every one assumes that when Brandon says autonomy he actually meant to say freedom? Is there a wob or something I’m missing? I don’t know what Brandon’s definition is, but we do know his intention in naming the shards was to break up the pieces of Adonalsium’s personality. In regards to personality free will would fit better. This is what came up when I googled what’s the difference...etc: The difference between autonomy and independence can be understood as follows. Autonomy is the state of being self-governed. On the other hand, independence is the state of not being dependent on another. ... This is the key difference between autonomy and independence.

@PelekinikeleT Autonomy has multiple meanings. And those meanings are also open to interpretation. Which is part of the problem.

au·ton·o·my
/ôˈtänəmē/
noun
  1. (of a country or region) the right or condition of self-government, especially in a particular sphere.
    "Tatarstan demanded greater autonomy within the Russian Federation"
    • a self-governing country or region.
      plural noun: autonomies
    • freedom from external control or influence; independence.
      "economic autonomy is still a long way off for many women"
      synonyms: self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-determination, independence, sovereignty, freedom
      "the rebels called for regional autonomy and self-government"

Add in that intents are not self directed... 

Chaos

It's a little odd that Preservation would inherently give up its power to fuel Allomancy, because you'd think he would preserve himself, you know? Does that make sense?

Brandon Sanderson

Preservation, as a Shard, is about preserving life, people, and the like. Not about self. No more than Ruin is about destroying self, or Cultivation is about growing herself.

source

And things quickly get complicated. 

Freedom is a part of Autonomy. What is freedom beyond self-governance on an individual level? 

Regardless, I believe the name is an intentional misdirection. 

I don't think of free will and Autonomy as synonymous.

If you are able to make choices you have free will. If you are able to act on those choices, you are Autonomous. When forced to conform to another's rules, your Autonomy is lessened/removed. 

Look at it on the larger scale terms of a country governing. If a country exists and creates laws and is not able to enforce those laws, or act on policies they've created... They are not governing. Making a decision and acting on it are not the same thing.

Edit: point this back to my initial theory and there's an alternate method to what I think Autonomy's goals are that falls a bit closer to what people typically think Autonomy is. 

Think of how we use the word "Autonomous" with machines. Able to act without an external guide. 

The elimination of the intents of the other Shards (and life forms created directly by them) could be an attempt to remove external pressures on the denizens of the Cosmere. 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic