Autonomy has to come into play

Lushman

Okay. Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker and I love reading the forums , but this is going to be my first post.  I am unsure if I'm doing everything right and I don't know how to quote anything too back up my assumptions but here it goes. 

As we all know (another assumption here for people that haven't read everything there's to know) that SA is going to be broken up into 2 quintets with a 10-15 year gap in between. 

I would like to propose that autonomy is going to take over/be very influencil in the back half of the SA. 

To be fair I don't actually have any evidence of this but to have odium as the big bad the whole way through the complete SA arc is a big stretch.

And seeing as we know that everything is going to culminate in the mistborn era4 books, I can't help but think odium will have run his chapter and a new villain will have to emerge.

So on that note this is what I propose

1) odium is going to be a prevalent force throughout the rest of the cosmre books

2) Odium is shattered or taken up by a "less threatening" vessel 

3) Odium is shattered and a new shard is going to come and wreck some havoc (ie autonomy) 

4)autonomy comes along and just decides to go "yeah you guys are cooked, you should have done what I have done" and just sweep everyone aside with her endless avatars

5) Autonomy cruises past and sees odium either weak as a cremling and decides that she can do better or that odium is shattered and autonomy comes to fill in the void

6) Odium is shattered. Gets taken up by someone and helps the continual effort to defeat whatever big bad is prevalent in mistborn S4 

I know this isn't much to go on and these are just the thoughts I had in my head.

So please go large and debate, Disagree, agree and or prove me wrong. 

Edited by Lushman

16 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Why do you think Autonomy would come in though, rather than someone else, or Odium lasting the entire Stormlight Archive?

Well to me, I don't feel like odium could /would be the main antagonist throughout the entire SA. That's just milking it. But then again I could be wrong and it could be odium or even another shard we are yet to see.  Butt from what we have seen im more convinced that a shard that has previously been talked about or written about is going to start making a proper appearance. 

Rather than  just throwing a new shard into the mix

Sorry if this makes doesnt make sense but I'm a few beers deep and hope everything kinda makes sense

And hey I learnt how to quote 

Edited by Lushman

Just now, Lushman said:

Well to me, I don't feel like odium could /would be the main antagonist throughout the entire SA. That's just milking it. But then again I could be wrong and it could be odium or even another shard we are yet to see. I'm just putting thoughts to paper.  

And hey I learnt how to quote 

There could also be another Shard coming into play if Odium is defeated, right?

I do agree that there's something going to happen, and in fact I wrote a (disproven) theory about it. If you compare with something like Mistborn, where it takes until the third book until you actually get to know Ruin and Preservation, it just doesn't make sense that we have all the pieces visible already in Stormlight Archive - Brandon likes his (well-foreshadowed) surprises far too much.

There's also the theory floating around that Roshar (the planet) is going to be destroyed at some point - perhaps even at the end of book 5 already. The second half of the series would then play on Ashyn, Braize (I believe we actually have it confirmed that the back half of the series will have scenes playing on Braize, though this could just be Herald flashbacks) or even Nalthis, as there's a few ties between Roshar and Nalthis already.

Yeah something has to happen. What I'm trying to say is that odium is a known "enemy". Ruin was a known "enemy" to a point. As in they knew about the shard towards the end of the hero of ages.

So what um trying to say is surely Brandon can't introduce something completely out of the blue to be the big bad for the stormlight archive without somehow foreshadowing or even bringing up something that might be cosmere deadly in his previous books. 

Now that I say that though. We still have a lot of material to wait for until all of this is complete. I could and most likely am so wrong

2 minutes ago, Lushman said:

Yeah something has to happen. What I'm trying to say is that odium is a known "enemy". Ruin was a known "enemy" to a point. As in they knew about the shard towards the end of the hero of ages.

So what um trying to say is surely Brandon can't introduce something completely out of the blue to be the big bad for the stormlight archive without somehow foreshadowing or even bringing up something that might be cosmere deadly in his previous books. 

Now that I say that though. We still have a lot of material to wait for until all of this is complete. I could and most likely am so wrong

The thing is, Autonomy hasn't appeared in any way yet in Stormlight Archive, so she's no more likely than a shard we don't know about yet, as we know Brandon wants his series (including Stormlight Archive) to stand on themselves as much as possible.

I think Odium will the the antagonist for the entire series. My personal theory is that book 5 will end with uniting with the Singers and stopping the threat of the Fused once and for all. Then the latter five will be delving into the nature of the bindings on Odium, and stopping him for good.

On 10-10-2018 at 6:22 PM, RShara said:

I think Odium will the the antagonist for the entire series. My personal theory is that book 5 will end with uniting with the Singers and stopping the threat of the Fused once and for all. Then the latter five will be delving into the nature of the bindings on Odium, and stopping him for good.

That won't be enough conflict for 5 SA-sized books. Something else will have to come into play.

9 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

That won't be enough conflict for 5 SA-sized books. Something else will have to come into play.

It won't? So far, if you boil it down that far, the first three have amounted to "a desolation is coming... Oh, wait it's here." 

It discounts all subplots and twists and unexpected turns. 

It's like boiling era 1 down to "dealing with Ruin" 

17 minutes ago, Calderis said:

It won't? So far, if you boil it down that far, the first three have amounted to "a desolation is coming... Oh, wait it's here." 

It discounts all subplots and twists and unexpected turns. 

It's like boiling era 1 down to "dealing with Ruin" 

The thing is, if the humans and singers are united and the Fused are gone, something else has to cause those sub-plots. And that would then be an enemy we haven't even seen hints of yet.

I'm going two ways on the antagonist part of Stormlight:

1. Odium is somehow imprisioned at some point in book 5 and book 6 shows him getting released to continue his havoc

2. Odium is Splintered at the end of book 5, there's relative peace and then a new baddie shows up (book 6 could be a prologue hinting at the new villain) but the people of Roshar have been keeping up on the offensive in case another threat shows up

I think these because Odium is already an active threat so why would he leave Roshar alone for a decade or two when he's so intent on razing everything?

41 minutes ago, Draginon said:

I think these because Odium is already an active threat so why would he leave Roshar alone for a decade or two when he's so intent on razing everything?

By Rayse dying and Odium being picked up by someone else.

2dark_22

RAFOed I'm sure, but you said you are planing 2 arcs of 5 books each in Stormlight Archive. Having read all of your published works (and some unpublished:)) I know your storytelling pace is astronomicaly quick. I'm positive you will end current desolation story in the first 5 books, since as I understod, other 5 books will be set in near future in SA universe. So I guess my question is; can you drop any hint will Odium survive to see 6th SA book:)?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, Odium will survive. Now, whether the one HOLDING that power will survive...that's a different question. :) (Not quite a RAFO.)

source

My nightmare for what could potentially be a big bad of the Cosmere is Cultivation picking up Odium.

The result would be absolutely terrifying. Not much direct opposition between the intents, so wouldn't suffer the same limitations as Harmony, and the combination of those two is just... No. 

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

By Rayse dying and Odium being picked up by someone else.

My nightmare for what could potentially be a big bad of the Cosmere is Cultivation picking up Odium.

The result would be absolutely terrifying. Not much direct opposition between the intents, so wouldn't suffer the same limitations as Harmony, and the combination of those two is just... No. 

I could see a Odium/Cultivation being like Poison Ivy in concept 

Sanderson already said that Stormlight will only be cosmere-related not a Cosmere centered. Stormlight is supposed to be able to survive standalone even without Cosmere knowledge so if Autonomy was ever the bigbad she should've been introduced from the beginning as a big player.

Autonomy appearing out of nowhere when he was not established and the scope of Stormlight only involves Roshar in general would be the very definition of badwriting

Like this rust is done in manga/anime so commonly.

11 hours ago, goody153 said:

Sanderson already said that Stormlight will only be cosmere-related not a Cosmere centered. Stormlight is supposed to be able to survive standalone even without Cosmere knowledge so if Autonomy was ever the bigbad she should've been introduced from the beginning as a big player.

Autonomy appearing out of nowhere when he was not established and the scope of Stormlight only involves Roshar in general would be the very definition of badwriting

Like this rust is done in manga/anime so commonly.

I just want to point out I there are conflicting WoBs. Oathbringer was very cosmere related and Brandon said the back half will be even more cosmere heavy. 

About the actual thread, I don't think any Avatar is going to want to go near Roshar why Odium is alive. 

1 hour ago, Zodiac said:

I just want to point out I there are conflicting WoBs. Oathbringer was very cosmere related and Brandon said the back half will be even more cosmere heavy. 

It really wasn't. It has very strong ties to Warbreaker, because Warbreaker was literally written as a backstory to two of the characters in the book. Outside of that, it has nothing more than the regular Easter eggs and cameos. 

Relevant WoB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/2-jordancon-2016/#e210

Questioner

As the Cosmere gets a lot bigger, what is your biggest worry going forward writing the books?

Brandon Sanderson

Going forward, my biggest worry is making sure that I do things like get The Stormlight Archive done as a solid, complete whole, rather than letting it become... like, too distracted about the Cosmere. Like, I'm not worried about that for Mistborn, but I'm worried about that for Stormlight. Stormlight needs to be a self-contained whole, it needs to be a self-contained epic, and I have to be really careful not to-- in the later books in particular-- let it turn into the Avengers, something like that. So that's my biggest worry right now, is that I will let too much of that seep in. I'm being very careful about it.

Warbreaker was a prequel of sorts to SA, so Nalthis and Endowment might come into play.  Ashyn is probably not even going to be involved beyond a tangential relationship.  This is Roshar's, Honor's (Stormlight is His, afterall), Cultivation's, and Odium's story.

The playing field will be altered after the first 5, and not all players will survive, but I don't see new players being introduced at this point.

If rayse doesn't survive by the end of 1st half then I believe the 2nd half will be against the true villains and opportunists (Ghost blood et al) and maybe nihilists like the Singer gods and Vyre. The Ghost bloods seem very confident and knowledgeable, so they might actually take up his power and maybe some splinter of Honor or countless other broken shards around Cosmere. Also if I am not mistaken the current Mistborn era is a little after SA ? And the shard or whatever power that is threatening Harmony might also be a combination of some shards (likely Odium 2.0+something else). Or at least whatever it is, knows how to face a double shard like Harmony so it might have encountered either SA era 2 shard(s). Although we have to remember that Odium himself is very experienced in beating 2 shards at once. Sorry I kind of ran along different tangents. Bottomline is era 2 won't be just about fighting Odium but other powers too plus we got 2 more planets to explore.  

• Chaos locked this topic