Is Lopen in love with Kaladin?

Red Eyes

Near the end of Oathbringer, Lopen  is watching Dru care for the wounded and thinks “Loving a soldier was not easy, and now that Kaladin has returned from Alethkar...”

I remember someone on bridge 4 was gay -maybe Dru- but is Lopen in a relationship with Dru and is Lopen pining secretly for Kaladin? As the above line implies?

On 10/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, Red Eyes said:

Near the end of Oathbringer, Lopen  is watching Dru care for the wounded and thinks “Loving a soldier was not easy, and now that Kaladin has returned from Alethkar...”

I remember someone on bridge 4 was gay -maybe Dru- but is Lopen in a relationship with Dru and is Lopen pining secretly for Kaladin? As the above line implies?

When I came to this part, I had to read at least four times before moving on.. It seemed so out of the blue!  Knowing Sanderson, it was very strategically placed.  Maybe this will be the think that 'breaks' him?  If so, that would let him be able to progress further as a KR.  

"'They say you have to be broken," Lopen said,...  "You know that tall woman, the king's sister?  The chortana with the glare that could break a Shardblade?  She says that the power has to get into your soul somehow.  So I've been trying to cry a lot, and moan about my life being so terrible, but I think the Stormfather knows I'm lying.  Hard to act sad when you're the Lopen."

• 1 year later...
On 16.10.2018 at 8:19 PM, CrazyRioter said:

I don't think he's in love with Syl romantically.

Same. They share some kind of close soulbond, I think, but no sexual/romantic one.

About Lopen - well there IS lots of affection and a naturally close bond of something there. I'm kind of reluctant about assuming that Lopen could be in love with Kaladin. But now that you pointed it out, Im super curious to see what's going to happen!!

On 10/8/2018 at 11:08 PM, Red Eyes said:

I think the part about Kaladin returning from Alethkar is more about him returning without Drehy, who is dating Dru. At this point we don’t know if he’s alive or dead.

I like the theory though. The line “loving a soldier was not easy,” makes me wonder. Maybe not Kaladin, but someone else...

Lopen is written that way for a reason. He is not in love with Kaladin he is just a always happy , optimistic person . If you read Elantris he is the exact opposite of Raodon sidekick in that book. That guy always called Raodon by a nickname , and was always negative , pessimistic , and hopeless . If you reverse him you get Lopen . The Lopen is my favorite support character , you just have to love him. Beside The Lopen likes women , he talks several times about impressing the ladies by flying 

• Chaos locked this topic