Are You A Fan Too?

A lot of discussion round here focuses on (obviously) Brandon, plus WoT, Malazan, ASoIaF, and a couple other works. I've noticed people discussing whether anyone understands the quotes in their sigs etc., so I thought we should have a topic to see if other people are a fan of stuff you like that doesn't get mentioned much, especially but not exclusively non-SF/F.

I'll start by asking, is anyone else here a fan of The Book Thief or The Fault In Our Stars?

(And just a reminder to spoiler tag any spoilery stuff you want to mention).

I'll start by asking, is anyone else here a fan of The Book Thief or The Fault In Our Stars?

(And just a reminder to spoiler tag any spoilery stuff you want to mention).

My fiancee is so excited for the Fault in Our Stars movie that she is literally reading the book to me out loud while I do things around the apartment. So I might be a fan soon! Hahaha

Anyone a Fan of Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, The fault in our stars and Frozen?

(You don't have to like all of them at the same time hahaha)

Avatar is amazing. Big fan. I have a sister who is 13 years younger than me, so I showed her a few episodes in December and she and I have been watching it together since. Slowly, but that's what happens when you try to line up time with a 9 year old. She gets a little stressed whenever she thinks the show might be on it's last couple of episodes. I haven't even told her about Legend of Korra yet :)

Is anyone a fan of Arsenal and football tactics? And video gaming in general?!

You know I'm not a fan of this "Arsenal" team or this "football" game, but I'm a huge huge gamer. Xbox Live, Battle.net, Steam, etc. I play quite a few different things. 

Anyone a Fan of Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, The fault in our stars and Frozen?

I love Teen Titans! I own all five seasons on DVD and must have rewatched them hundreds of times. :D

Is anyone else a fan of Doctor Who, classic or new? What about the novels of Michael Crichton?

I'm a fan of a number of things, Frozen needs mentioning, so does the Queen's Thief book series.

I also love games. You would almost think it was my desired career path ; )

I play mixture of games but I love RPGs the most. I am a big fan of the MAG, which is pretty obvious I suppose.

I'm probably forgetting a couple of things but those are the main things I am a fan of currently anyway.

I am a huge fan of Samurai Jack, Avatar the Last Airbender, Teen Titans, Jackie Chan Adventures, Gargoyles, Tron: Uprising, Dragon Ball Z (mostly the abridged version, the original is kinda corny), Justice Leage and Justice League Unlimited. Theres probably one or two that I am forgetting but this is most of it.

When it comes to more niche things that others might not necessarily be familiar with...

Well, I guess I haven't heard anyone talking about The Chronicles of Prydain, I love that series with all the bittersweetness of farewells and endings and magic :unsure:

And theres that one guy, does anyone like him? I think his name is Brandon Sanderon :P

I love the Teen Titans comic series (particularly the Wolfman/Perez stuff from the 80's.) I'm not a fan of the anime style cartoon... or really anime at all. Frozen was fantastic, Disney's best animated film in a long, long time.

I am a huge fan of Samurai Jack, Avatar the Last Airbender, Teen Titans, Jackie Chan Adventures, Gargoyles, Tron: Uprising, Dragon Ball Z (mostly the abridged version, the original is kinda corny), Justice Leage and Justice League Unlimited. Theres probably one or two that I am forgetting but this is most of it.

When it comes to more niche things that others might not necessarily be familiar with...

Well, I guess I haven't heard anyone talking about The Chronicles of Prydain, I love that series with all the bittersweetness of farewells and endings and magic :unsure:

And theres that one guy, does anyone like him? I think his name is Brandon Sanderon :P

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited were fantastic. I loved being able to see all the various characters in the DCU that you don't see everyday (Such as Wildcat, The Question, Captain Marvel, The Flash, and many more.)

Chronicles of Prydain was an excellent series. I also recommend Disney's The Black Cauldron. They're quick reads, but a lot of fun with great characters.

Does anyone like the Starman comic book series, Philip Marlowe novels, or Buffy The Vampire Slayer?

I heard about that Brandon Sanderson guy. Is he any good?

Edited by The Question

Michael Crichton books, yes. About all I've read outside of SF/F. <--They're techno thrillers, not SF, I think.

No idea what The Fault in Our Stars is, but with so many mentions I'm off to investigate.

I liked Frozon. Wreck It Ralph was better. :P

I remember cartoons like DBZ and Gargoyles from when I was younger.

I am a fan of Malazan, Avatar: The Last Airbender, new Doctor Who, The Book Thief (a beautiful book, which I consider historical fantasy because of it being narrated by Death), Star Wars (both the movies and the EU, and I'm really mad the original EU is no longer canon), Star Trek (TNG and DS9 are the best), and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, among many other things.

Eh, my brother raves about the guy but I'm not really what you'd call a fan. :P

I liked Frozon. Wreck It Ralph was better. :P

I actually haven't seen Frozen, which apparently sets me apart from most other people here. I enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph though. Have some candy upvotes.

I am a fan of Malazan, Avatar: The Last Airbender, new Doctor Who, The Book Thief (a beautiful book, which I consider historical fantasy because of it being narrated by Death), Star Wars (both the movies and the EU, and I'm really mad the original EU is no longer canon), Star Trek (TNG and DS9 are the best), and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, among many other things.

I've watched the Star Wars movies, and I've read the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Outbound Flight is my favorite Star Wars installment. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though the Iron Man franchise hasn't really caught my interest. I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. :)

I forgot to mention I'm also a big fan of the Kingkiller Chronicle, which may be obvious because I post on our topic about it quite often.

Also, Spongebob. Literally the best cartoon ever, and I don't care what you think.

And Calvin and Hobbes. Greatest comic strip of all time.

I've watched the Star Wars movies, and I've read the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Outbound Flight is my favorite Star Wars installment. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though the Iron Man franchise hasn't really caught my interest. I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. :)

The Star Wars novels in general are not great, but there are some that are amazing. Thrawn Trilogy is definitely a great one. My personal favorite were the Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss. Sadly, the story of those was left unresolved because of discrepancies between it and the Clone Wars show.

The Iron Man movies are not my favorite either. The first one was really good, but the sequels kind of dropped off in quality. I love the Thor movies and the Captain America one, though. And the Avengers, of course. Also looking forward to GotG!

Edited by GreyPilgrim

Slim chance, but have any other sci-fi fans here discovered the Sector General series by James White? They're awesome stories about a hospital space station. A team of doctors--of which only a few are human--use their knowledge of interspecies medicine to solve medical cases. It's one of my favorite science fiction series, and the concepts the series contains are some of the most interesting I've ever seen.

My fiancee is so excited for the Fault in Our Stars movie that she is literally reading the book to me out loud while I do things around the apartment. So I might be a fan soon! Hahaha

Avatar is amazing. Big fan. I have a sister who is 13 years younger than me, so I showed her a few episodes in December and she and I have been watching it together since. Slowly, but that's what happens when you try to line up time with a 9 year old. She gets a little stressed whenever she thinks the show might be on it's last couple of episodes. I haven't even told her about Legend of Korra yet :)

You know I'm not a fan of this "Arsenal" team or this "football" game, but I'm a huge huge gamer. Xbox Live, Battle.net, Steam, etc. I play quite a few different things.

You like avatar too? Awesome!

Legend of Korra is not as amazing but it's still pretty good. It's on to its 3rd season. (There's supposed to be 4)

Aang does make lots of appearances in it though :)

I love the Teen Titans comic series (particularly the Wolfman/Perez stuff from the 80's.) I'm not a fan of the anime style cartoon... or really anime at all. Frozen was fantastic, Disney's best animated film in a long, long time.

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited were fantastic. I loved being able to see all the various characters in the DCU that you don't see everyday (Such as Wildcat, The Question, Captain Marvel, The Flash, and many more.)

Chronicles of Prydain was an excellent series. I also recommend Disney's The Black Cauldron. They're quick reads, but a lot of fun with great characters.

Does anyone like the Starman comic book series, Philip Marlowe novels, or Buffy The Vampire Slayer?

I heard about that Brandon Sanderson guy. Is he any good?

Ever watched the Teen Titans tv show before?

It doesn't air any more due to its spinoff series called Teen Titans Go which isn't as good but te other series is amazing. You should totally check it out if you haven't heard of it

I was pretty indifferent on Korra season one. I really didn't like Korra in that season, and I felt like Bolin was a failed attempt to recreate Sokka. However, season two was really good. I got to like the characters much more and the story felt more cohesive to me. Plus the Avatar origin story was great to see. I still feel the show in general fails because of a lack of narrative cohesion. The original show was enhanced by this, and left a really high standard.

I was pretty indifferent on Korra season one. I really didn't like Korra in that season, and I felt like Bolin was a failed attempt to recreate Sokka. However, season two was really good. I got to like the characters much more and the story felt more cohesive to me. Plus the Avatar origin story was great to see. I still feel the show in general fails because of a lack of narrative cohesion. The original show was enhanced by this, and left a really high standard.

Agreed. Bolin is nothing like Sokka. Bolin lacks comic relief!

The Korra and Mako girlfriend thing was good and then she went out with Bolin and it just got confusing.

Tenzin was hilarious though, I really liked him.

You like avatar too? Awesome!

Legend of Korra is not as amazing but it's still pretty good. It's on to its 3rd season. (There's supposed to be 4)

Aang does make lots of appearances in it though :)

I think I watched through the second season of it. I kind of like to let it get ahead a bit so I can watch it in chunks. Too hard to wait.