Did Shallan ‘kill’ Pattern like Kaladin did Syl?

Fanghur Rahl

I just finished my second listening of Words of Radiance, and I’m a little confused about something. It’s pretty heavily implied that prior to  Shallan having to use Pattern to kill her mother in self-defence, she and Pattern had progressed quite far in their Ideals, presumably at least to her third Ideal/Truth considering that she was able to summon Pattern as a blade (or are the Spren technically able to become blades from the beginning but just don’t until they feel their partners are ready?). But after that, it’s implied that Pattern essentially vanished from Shallan’s life entirely until the events of Words of Radiance, which if I’m not mistaken was about five years later.

So did Shallan accidentally ‘kill’ Pattern by effectively betray the truths she had used for her Ideals like Kaladin did with Syl? Or was Pattern able to escape that fate and just willingly ‘recede’ from her life for that time for lack of a better term? Because it seems pretty clear to me that Shallan DID basically betray her truths, which in Kaladin’s case was enough to effectively lobotomize Syl, and it wasn’t until her memories began to unwillingly resurface that Pattern came back.

So was Pattern basically lobotomized as well during that interval or was he just patiently biding his time?

Shallan didn't kill Pattern in her childhood. After the mother's death she started to repress herself, something that would lead to Pattern's death for Oathbreaking. Luckly enough as the regression wasn't instantaneus. Pattern managed to flee into the CR before it was too late. This allows him to survive also if in bad shape... we don't know if over time he would die in the CR for Shallan's regression and their bond evaporating.

On a slight tangential point (as you wrote it in the OP), Spren before the right Oath can't become Blades, regardless of their will... They need the Bond to have reached at least a certain threeshold before they could be pulled fully into the PR and manifest themself as ShardBlade

Kythis

How did Pattern actually become a shardblade even though he hadn't been fully pulled into the physical realm?

Brandon Sanderson

He had been pulled into the physical realm before when Shallan was younger, and she almost broke her bond.  And in so doing . . . 

Kythis

But he didn't go mad.

Brandon Sanderson

She didn't completely break the bond.  She didn't reject him completely.  But it was dangerous there for a while.  

source

Basically what Yata said in WoB form. 

• Chaos locked this topic