One sentence plots, conflict and resolution (a reductionist game)

1 hour ago, Straight_Outta_Arrakis said:

Since we are reducing things to one sentence, I came across this and thought it might be appreciated by other Russian literature fans :)  

Hahaha, so good!

@whattheHoid, Cowboy Bebop can be summed up as follows: Too short, need more episodes.

Christopher Nolan Batman movies are really good, despite having Christian Bale. The following is spoilered because if you like Christian Bale, you probably don't want to look at it.

Spoiler

Why would you pick the actor with the most douchey of mouths and eyes to play Batman, where that's literally all you see of him?

DoucheMan.jpg.198d21ca169fa95dd86c58793570d78d.jpg

Batman Begins is my favorite non Tim Burton batman movie, so here's the summary of that one. The Hero's Journey get's turned on it's head, the Wise Mentor of the protagonist is in fact a crazy anarchist bent on destroying civilization, needless to say, Batman stops him. Michael Kane is a great Alfred.

A bit of an obscure movie, but it's one of my all time favorites, how about Werner Herzog's Aguirre: Wrath of God?

Hahahaha! Now I can't ever think of Christian Bale the same way again! I'll admit it, he has an irritatingly condescending aura about him. I'm probably wrong, I've never met him and shouldn't judge, but...

You know I've actually seen this movie in a film class in college, let me dust off the cobwebs...Here goes...

A man and his troupe set off to the new world to find riches, but instead find madness and insanity.

Next up, since we are doing obscure films, Testuo: the Iron Man? Anyone?

12 minutes ago, whattheHoid said:

Testuo: the Iron Man? Anyone?

If Ray Harryhausen and H.R. Giger decided to team up on making a live action movie you'd get Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

I forgot what a hard to watch movie that was, really well made, but man, hard movie to watch.

How about The Watchmen, speaking of watching... (movie or comic)

On 13.10.2018 at 2:54 AM, whattheHoid said:

Ok, how about... anyone Locke and Key?

That's been a while. What I still remember:
They searched for keys to save the world.

Though that may not be 100% accurate :rolleyes:

Prepare for the next one: Anyone read Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood?

On 14.10.2018 at 3:08 PM, whattheHoid said:

Haven't read that, but have looked it up and added it to my reading list. So, I'll leave that for another and add one of my own, if that's cool.

How about...Sabriel by Garth Nix ( I believe!)

I liked that one a lot.

A young woman learns ancient magic to step into the footsteps of her father.

Five Great Charters knit the land,
Together linked, hand in hand,
One in the people that wear the crown,
Two in the folk that keep the dead down.
Three and Five became stone and mortar,
Four sees all in frozen water.

The next one: The Rithmatist

A very competent and intelligent young man wants so desperately to become a Rithmatist and through some trying and desperate circumstances, he is taught the skills and finds a new, albiet reluctant friend and that things aren't what they appear to be.

Boy that was tough, I had so much more I wanted to say about the Rithmatist. I can't wait for the next one! I think I devoured that book in like one night, so good! Ok, next up, hmm, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Have we done that one yet?

Two mischievous and curious children go exploring and find themselves in another world and back again and in between, witness the creation of another world; all this sets up future events that changes that world.

Ooh, it has been a long time! I remember 'Magician's Nephew' being my favorite out of that series; even better than 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.' 

Ok, how about have we done 'Eye of the World?'

On 19.10.2018 at 5:26 AM, whattheHoid said:

Ok, how about have we done 'Eye of the World?'

They left their village, met powerful compainions and tried to save a source of magic.

What about Edgar Allan Poe "The mask of the red death?"

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gancho Libre said:

(the book is SOOO good).

Everytime I see some thick fog I am reminded of the nothing eating up the world...

A group of boys are cut of from society and developping according to their personalities a brutal conflict is the result.

Next is Moby Dick.

Edited by Sorana

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I read this, so excuse the dusty cobwebs...

A political treatise and philosophical work describing and illustrating the nessecary attitudes and attributes one needs to rule or guide a people well. 

I'm basically thinking a real life equivalent of Way of Kings? Like the book Dalinar quotes,the one written by Nohadon. If this is a sufficient summary, would anyone like to do...

The Gambler by Dostoyevsky?

That  one's been awhile... I'm not sure if I remember everything.

Using his own addiction as example he created a poor gambling character on the verge of a large heritage.

Bernhard Cornwell - Sharpe's Triumph? And since I'm not sure if anybody here has read this alternatively: Maria V. Snyder Poison Study.