The Ghostblood Ball

PrinceDusty

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

You added Lusk and Devaan twice on the participants list. :) 

gah I think someone else has been working with the page I'll fix it

So i'll post the next part of the plot sometime tomorrow(10-20 hours from now) to give people time to react to that last one. I really want to get everyone involved more in the plot, because right now it just feels like character development to me, which I hate, and this next part after the duel should let people do that. But I still stand by the point I made in the Chat Thread that the plot of this mostly depends on the reactions of the guilds to the final outcome, which will be posted tomorrow as well

Edited by PrinceDusty

After finishing the cookie, rilu followed the commotion outside. Fate seemed to drag him there, as did Oberon. "This is gonna be a good one, I can feel it in my bones." Oberon said.

"You don't have bones." Rilu replied shortly.

"You know what I mean," Oberon said.

Cenet heard the announcement and looked towards the back of the ballroom, mildly intrigued. He had stayed out of the larger events so far, preferring to make small talk, but a duel- especially an informal one, not regulated by the Canton- would be worth seeing. He followed the crowd through the doors on the side of the stage. The musicians took their instruments and followed the crowd outside.

The sun was setting over the plains to the west. A ring of trees surrounded the property, and the immediate garden that the partygoers stood in consisted of a large open area with a fountain, two paths leading out of either side of the open area, and a short hedge 'maze' further north. The two combatants, a man in a brown cloak and a Ghostblood in a suit, stood ready and waiting for everyone to calm down.

Here, this'll set things up for everyone else coming out. I won't begin for another 10-20 hours, like I said. But I've wanted to get Cenet involved for some time and couldn't pass up the opportunity to use the chance to describe what's going on as well.

"I never attended anything like this before, but no I am not new here. I simply used to keep behind the scenes. Therefore the chances to have met were slim."
Althea gestured in the direction of the garden.
"I hope you don't mind if I go and take a look at the duel? We could go there together, and continue our conversation?"

@Silva

@PrinceDusty

Lusk checked his watch. It was classy, and stylish. From an old shop on Scadrial, it was something Lusk liked wearing, even if it’s light colour contrasted heavily with the dark suits he usually wore.

People were speaking of a duel. Two men had moved to the gardens. People were following them, but Lusk wasn’t one of them. He had things to do. Important things.

Tapping a passing underling on the shoulder, the youth turned to face Lusk, and seemed to actually shrink under his gaze.

“Watch. Make sure things do not get out of hand.” He handed the teenager a small disc. One part Nicrosil, one part brass. The message seemed to get across.

The youth nodded quickly, eyes wide, as he accepted the medallion. “Yes sir.”

“Good man.” With that Lusk left to a side door, checking behind for any tails.

Vaisin looked around excitedly. He’d been assigned on a mission. Him! By Lusk himself! Sure, that mission was as simple as making sure this duel didn’t get too violent, but still, it was something.

Vaisin felt the medallion Lusk have him in his hand, and dropped it in one of his pockets.

Vaisin was excited. A duel! It was good enough that he was here, with so many celebrities. He and his other Ghostbloods had been told to skulk in the shadows, to watch and observe. Only the higher ups got to actually be a part of the party.

Not Vaisin.

He was a Ghostblood in training, you could say. His dark cloak may have looked cool, but it was a sign he was still practising how to be a good assassin. He hardly had any idea what to do around some of these people. They’d fought in the Seven Day War!

Caught up in his own thoughts, Vaisin accidentally almost walked into two women having a conversation. One of them was a Ghostblood. Oh no, he thought. I hope this doesn’t reflect badly on my training!

“Oh, I’m so very sorry,” he said, trying to remember his lessons on eloquent language. “I mean, please excuse me for my -”

He stopped when he saw who he was talking to.

“Wait a second, you’re Mejin, right? The Mejin? Woah, I never thought I’d meet you! I mean, pleasure to meet you!”

He struck out his hand for a handshake, but then retracted it when he realised how unprofessional he was being.

He looked to the other woman, another Ghostblood. Hopefully she wouldn’t tell any of Vaisin’s higher ups how awkward he was being. Unless she was one of Vaisin’s higher ups.

“Uh, I mean, sorry again. You were in the Seven Day War, right? So cool. How was it?”

@Silva @Sorana

Ok, enough of serious, deceptive Lusk, time for my next NPC! Vaisin is what we would call a fanboy. Excuse him. :P 

Edited by I think I am here.

Althea suppressed the urge to roll her eyes when Vaisin crashed her conversation like that.
He should have known better, he could at least have told Meijin his name. Still she didn't interfer, wanted to see how he behaved once she replied. And it would be interessting to see, how Meijin would react to his direct question.

@Silva

@I think I am here.

It isn’t to late to join in is it?

Li TaiRu entered the front gate Tiiyu floating beside him. “Have you cleared everything at the hospital?” Li asked 

“Of corse I did it this morning and left a ruby sparked in case of an emergency.”  Tiiyu responded the Seon sphere’s ruby green light flickering

”Great, I’ve never had the opportunity to atended to one of these things before.”  Li continued showing his old style Aon Ati Ghostblood tattoo to the the announcer  

“Li TaiRu, Ghostblood” the announcer, annouced.

“Should I spark Night of you late arrival?” Tiiyu inquired.

”No he will find us if he can and I dout he carries spheres on him anyway.” Li looked around the room there were to little people around for what he’d heard the invation list was like, some tables where being righted by the servents as well. As he continued he saw the crowd of people in the courtyard and moved towards them and startedpushing through to find a familiar face to explain what the fus was about.

Edited by Arlin

Her continued watching hadn't given her any new insights yet, but Laurelai was patient, listening to those nearby, watching those further away. Some few she gathered had their own Boon and Bane from the Nightwatcher, those she payed the closest attention to, trying to find some similarity with what her own reasons had been.

"Hello Laurel" A voice whispered in her ear suddenly. "Long time no see?"

She whirled about, turning to see the figure and almost twisting her ankle in the process. She almost reached for the small knife she still carried with her, but most people here would barely consider her an annoyance if she used that. This room was filled with powerful people.

As she examined the man before her, she quickly placed him as someone she'd met at the Waystop. It had been right after she'd arrived back to find those things destroying the entire area. But while she remembered him, she didn't recall a name. Had he given one last time and she'd forgotten? Names weren't usually that important for her, experiences and her decisions were what she memorized obsessively.

She realized that she was just staring at him and stammered out an apology.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there. I hope you've faired well since then?" She asked.

Just then, the music in the hall stopped and one of the musicians spoke to the crowd, informing them of a duel that was to happen in the gardens. She doubted there was much she could learn about herself from a duel, but she had made leaps of logic from stranger sources of inspiration.

"Care to join me?" She asked the man, motioning her head towards the gardens where a few other guests had also begun heading.

Ioc coked his head. "Sure," he said. "I do love a good duel. I'm sorry for sneaking up on you,"

Ioc followed the girl, Laurelai. She hadn't ever told it her name, but, well, Connection could do a lot of things. 

Then, Ioc realized that she didn't know what to call Ioc.

"Oh, sorry," it said. "I'm Ioc. Pleasure to meet you, Laurelai,"

@Voidus

@Ark1002

"Up in flames, you say?" the woman asked, bemused. "Sir, I do not believe you quite understand the meaning of 'up in flames'. Murdering a man and leaving his children to be orphaned is not sending their lives up in flames. Planting a curse on the children that would make it so any one person who ever so much as spoke or looked at them would cause the onlooker to die in a horribly gruesome way, leaving them alone and in fear of hurting anyone, hating themselves..." The woman frowned a small bit. "That... that is."

Klasten, unused to people retaliating, ceased throwing popcorn at the book-readers. "SMOKE SCREEN!" he shouted, throwing an entire bag of popcorn in the air. Completely visible, but feeling twice as confident in his sneaking abilities, he bolted for the side door.

He ran up the stairs, headed for the top level of the house. When he reached the attic, he punched the glass out of the nearest window and climbed out onto the dark roof. "I am bad man!" he said, feeling guilty. 

Klasten lithely sneaked along the black roof tiles. The decorative spires cast long shadows over his path. Regardless, it didn't take long for Klasten to hear the sound of the band beginning their suspenseful music. One hand rummaging in his bag to find a weapon to use, he crept up the edge to look down, hoping to watch the duel from above. 

This isn't an ordinary duel, so I have no reservations about helping one side cheat. Besides, the rooftop has a good view of any impending armies. :ph34r:

Edited by Archer

Tena checked her watch and noted that Klasten's Y coordinates were higher now. "Probably on the roof," she muttered, having not paid attention to his little tantrum a moment earlier. She turned to Achirian and said, "Hey bro, there's a duel going on outside. You gonna come?" Knowing that he wouldn't answer the question, she launched herself over the rail and sprinted out the front door, sharply skidding to a stop about three feet outside and doing a backflip, Steelpushing off a just-dropped coin to send herself whirling into the air, straight up onto the roof. She hated being too close to the ground. 

Landing lithely on both her feet, Tena Pushed against another dropped coin and launched herself up again, alighting on the tallest chimney on the roof in a crouch. She looked around and noted that Klasten was, indeed, on the roof. She chuckled slightly as she realized what she must look like; a shadowy figure whose eyes glowed blue sitting on the top of a chimney. Thinking of which, she thought, and tilted her head to smell at the smoke that was gently puffing from the center of the chimney. "Something like chicken," she said quietly, then turned to watch the duel. 

Klasten felt the source of a feeling behind him. Something cliche was happening. He focused on it, noting its location. In case he had to slay it later, he pointed his grappling gun in its direction, but kept it resting on the top of the roof. I should buy a light-line, he thought. They're much more efficient. But then, that's not the reason I collect hings, is it?

You know in spy movies where they have incredibly detailed 3D maps of areas, and tracking devices that are impossibly precise? That's the cliche he's feeling. 

And for the record, I'd say the Z axis would probably denote my altitude, but it depends how the watch is configured. :)

Klasten lay in silence, waiting for the duel to start. He wished he had a brass metalmind. Then he could pop a bunch of popcorn and send it raining down on the people below. 

Oooh. Sorry, bystanders.

Klasten felt the grappling gun get ripped out of his fingers. It flew outwards, into the abyss of darkness above the garden. 

Rust! Unknown hostile or hostiles. Either equipped with a strong magnet and darkvision-tech, or steelsight and allomancy, Klasten thought as his mind went into overdrive.

Gravity gleefully took hold of the gun, pulling it downwards. Klasten didn't see what or who it hit when it reached the ground.

If he's got atium, I'm toast. That is to say I'm soft and warm on the inside, and good in a jam. 

Klasten grabbed the edge of the roof and pushed himself forward. He smoothly slid forwards, like a skeleton sledder starting their run. He easily slid off of the roof, into thin air.

Ha! Try and hit me now Inquisitor! He prepared to fire his grappling gun to slow his fall. Then he remembered that he didn't have one any more. Push! He thought, willing himself to develop allomantic abilities. That didn't work either. 

The author was tempted to change viewpoints to leave the real fate of his character ambiguous after they supposedly fell from the roof of a building, but that felt unoriginal. 

Thump. Klasten's ammo belt landed heavily on the ground, surprising some party goers. A half-second later, his bag landed with a woomph next to it. Its owner was nowhere to be seen.

I only know one way to dramatically appear to kill characters, and this is it. I'm sorry. 

"Uhh," Tena said, kind of loudly, "Klasten? Dude?" She jumped off the chimney and noted its absence of Klasten. "Well, there goes another weirdo." She trotted over to the edge of the roof and vaulted off, wanting to get that grapple gun. It had looked cool. 

She landed smoothly on the ground and picked up Klasten's stuff, waving all friendly-like at the people who gave her weird looks. She Steelpushed back onto the chimney and started whistling, looking through Klasten's stuff. 

Well, that didn't take long. 

When Tena stuck her hand in the bag, Klasten bit it. "Begone Ironeyes!" he shouted from inside the bag.

His hand, holding a medieval-style torch, reached out of the bag. "Oh. It's you," he said. He then grabbed a protruding part of the roof and used it to pull himself out of the bag. "Don't sneak up on a guy like that. Want a jellybean? I found them near the bottom."

He munched on a handful as he tried to find a comfortable place to sit.

Tena made an outraged face, then burst out laughing. Her hand quickly healed from the small bite-marks Klasten's weak human teeth had caused. She set the bag next to her and thumped Klasten on the back, partially out of amusement, partially to see if he'd fall off the roof. She took some of the jellybeans and, counting on her Stormlight to heal her if they were poisonous, chewed on a few. 

6 hours ago, Le Sigh said:

@Ark1002

"Up in flames, you say?" the woman asked, bemused. "Sir, I do not believe you quite understand the meaning of 'up in flames'. Murdering a man and leaving his children to be orphaned is not sending their lives up in flames. Planting a curse on the children that would make it so any one person who ever so much as spoke or looked at them would cause the onlooker to die in a horribly gruesome way, leaving them alone and in fear of hurting anyone, hating themselves..." The woman frowned a small bit. "That... that is."

Quietly and softly, a note flitted through the air and landed on the lady’s palm.

It said:

You’re hired.

She looked at the man's hand and raised an eyebrow.

"Someone must've fed you some false information," Mejin said. "Since I most definitely did not help out in any wars." There. That was perfect. She smiled innocently, "I'm a mostly sworn pacifist, I was out of town over the Seven Day War. But it is a pleasure to meet you." Now she shook his hand, as confusion started coming apparent in his eyes. "Shall we go out back to watch the duel?" she suggested, inwardly cringing at the concept of violence for sport.

Awkward....I was away during the Seven Day War, so technically Mejin wasn't a part of it.

@Sorana

@I think I am here.

After this fight, everyone gets involved. Then we hightail it to the Alleycity

Third of the Night and Arden Cariin stood on opposite sides of the fountain- Night couldn't actually see Arden. Spectators lined the shrubbery and the doorways, and Night could see some fooling around on the roof out of the corner of his eye.

"When we start playing, the duel begins. Interference is allowed so long as you don't step within ten feet of the combatants. Five!"

Arden glared.

"Four!"

Night summoned his Shardaxe as Nin and Hateka flew overhead.

"Three!"

Arden pulled out a thin black piece of chalk.

"Two!"

They tensed.

The musicians started playing a remix of The Black Piper's The Assassin in White and The Blackthorn.

Arden quickly pulled out four small dolls, Awakening them and giving them quick Commands. They each had a piece of chalk, and Arden's Breaths apparently carried over his Rithmatic ability. The Awakened dolls drew four lines of Forbiddance before Night had taken five steps. Night had read up on Rithmatics after fighting Arden at the Waystop, and had been confident in his ability to defeat Arden, but the Awakened dolls would be an advantage. Arden started drawing a modified Jordan Defense without a Circle of Warding.

Night's Shardaxe turned into a Shardhammer and he bashed at the base of the Line of Forbiddance. Three hits later and the entire line shattered. Not just a small area- it was as if its soul had been broken. Unfortunately, the Awakened were ready with Lines of Vigor, and Night had to use some fancy Abrasion to keep his feet intact while they redrew the Line of Forbiddance. I have to take out the Awakened before Arden makes too many Chalklings. Already, Arden had scribbled out three incredibly complex dragons- and one beaver.

Fortunately, thickness determined the height of a Line of Forbiddance, and the tiny Awakened were using tiny pieces of chalk. Nin and Hateka both flew up and over the barriers, swooping down to grab the dolls, upon a command from Night. They dropped the dolls in front of Night, where they were smashed with a Shardhammer before they had time to react. The process was repeated once more, and Night was able to smash through the front line.

Arden looked up, and began to pull out another set of dolls, but decided against it and released the chalklings.

Flying up and over, two times, had taken long enough that Arden had ten well-drawn Chalklings and quite a few beaver-level ones. Night was swarmed by the creatures as Arden began bouncing lines of Vigor off of the remaining Lines of Forbiddance to their sides.

I'll stop here, this is a good point for anyone to interfere. The second half of the duel will be more of a "they fought back and forth for ages" less specifics and whatnot. Arden is buying time.

9 minutes ago, Silva said:

Awkward....I was away during the Seven Day War, so technically Mejin wasn't a part of it.

Oh. I mean I totally knew that, it’s just that, um, Vaisin didn’t. Yeah.

Mejin shook his hand and Vaisin nodded, despite being confused. She asked to go see the duel, and Vaisin said “Sure” except in a way more awkward way.

They walked to the duel. Awesome.

Currently, one dude was being destroyed by the other dude.

“You can do it!” Vaisin yelled to the man getting destroyed. He was in a suit. That made sense. Why would you where a suit to a fight? He was pretty sure the DA did that, but they rocked that style.

The musicians said interference was allowed as long as no one got to close. Vaisin considered using his Soothing-medallion Lusk gave him to help his fellow Ghostblood.

But, Lusk said that was only for emergencies. Vaisin reached a dilemma.

Edited by I think I am here.