The Ghostblood Ball

PrinceDusty

Third of the Night strolled into the mansion through the gilded doors, entering onto a platform a cavernous ballroom. The Ghostblood Council had not cut corners in choosing the location for the ball. The mansion, to the far north of the Alleycity, had once been owned by an unaffiliated worldhopper. When the Ghostbloods had shown interest, he had quickly cleared out.

Night presented his invitation to a Ghostblood underling and he was announced to the ballroom. “Third of the Night, Ghostblood Representative!” A few of the Homeless looked up, recognizing the name- Night waved to acquaintances and friends. Everyone in the Alleyverse and everyone who classified as one of the Homeless that the Council had been able to reach had been invited to the party to celebrate the start of the 17th year of peace. Night hoped everyone would be able to come.

Nin and Hateka, Night’s Aviar, took off. Nin perched on one of the silver chandeliers as Hateka started making lazy circles throughout the room. Night descended one of the staircases to be greeted by another Ghostblood underling.

“Welcome to the Ghostblood Ball, sire. Please feel free to wander throughout the mansion as you please. Refreshments will be carried around the main ballroom, but you may visit the banquet hall to your right if you desire more food; and down the hall to your left are some more… private rooms if you wish to keep your conversation away from prying ears.” The underling bowed and stepped back to carry his message to the next guest.

Night nodded to the man and smiled at the members of the Ghostblood council. Homeless of every ethnicity, some wearing armor or carrying weapons and some not, talked and danced throughout the ballroom. As a slower song ended, dancers broke up to return to their conversation circles. The musicians, of a band formerly known as MoTab, picked up a fast and catchy tune.

Night smiled contentedly. Some were here simply to have a good time, some were here for business, some here for the popularity… and others were here because they saw the signs of things to come in the Alleyverse.

The Arena of Valor was open for the first time in sixteen years, and there were rumors of quests regarding the Worldspike. Battles had been fought in remote corners of the Alleyverse. Whispers of powerful armies rising again circulated… in admittedly less-trusted gossip circles. Regardless, old alliances were being reforged, and new rivalries were surfacing. The Ghostblood Ball was but a mask for things much more sinister than it suggested.

Grinning, Night waited for more guests to arrive.

Welcome to the Ghostblood’s Ball! Set at the beginning of the 17th year of peace, the Ghostblood Ball is open to all Homeless, and the GB Council has provided multiple means of teleportation throughout all locations within the Alleyverse at the front doors if you have other threads you must also attend. Might be easiest to just use that excuse and ignore Multiple Location Presence the same way an author would ignore bathroom breaks in your posts.

I have included a very poor drawing below (my lack of drawing skills is the real reason there isn’t any Sixth of the Dusk fanart) for your benefit. Not all of the mansion is shown, just the parts we’ll be using, but I’m open to suggestions (I can edit the image) if you feel something could be added.

I’ll be inserting some plot points throughout the thread, leading up to a dramatic climax that I have planned. You don’t have to participate in the plot, so don’t feel obligated- I really don’t have any idea how this will go.

Thanks!

Ghostblood Ball HD- Final.png

Edited by PrinceDusty

Rilu stubled into existence, coming from the Cognitive Realm. Oberon was next to him, a fizzing ball of light. He hadn't been to a ball before, no reason to, but this one... something big was coming, and he would be a part of it. He had no idea which side he would be on, but he would be a part.

1 hour ago, PrinceDusty said:

a dramatic climax that I have planned

Well, it's not so dramatic now that we know its coming, aye?

I'm assuming this can either happen before WoD or after everything else. Threads can exist more or less in isolation, though.

Using the magic of chronological ambiguity and narrative flexibility, Alum stepped through the large front doors of the Ghostblood Building. It was the first time they had hosted something like this, though not for a lack of trying. But it seemed empty - only a few people had arrived thus far.

"Alum. Elsecaller."

That would soon change. The Ghostbloods didn't host something like this without ulterior motives, and people would flock to find out what was happening. He just hoped those motives weren't as bloody as they were last time. 

Alum pulled out a piece of clockwork machinery and began to tinker with it. Time to play the waiting game.

Edited by MetaTerminal
Didn't read OP properly

36 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

Well, it's not so dramatic now that we know its coming, aye?

I might disagree, this way can hopefully build some hype- totally didn't plan it like that :ph34r:

Night surveyed the guests. He recognized Homeless from all of the major Guilds, and more people were entering constantly. 

I should probably be welcoming people. After all, I am the Ghostblood Public Relations Representative.
Another of the Homeless was announced.

"Rilu, Willshaper!"

Night knew Rilu. Rilu was a good man. As Night started walking towards him, he heard-

"Arden, Unaffiliated Rithmatist!"

Night's eyes narrowed as he swiveled towards the newcomer, who was wearing a brown coat not unlike Night's black one. He recognized that man. Arden was the Rithmatist who had fought against Night during Night's brief stay at the Waystop, seemingly doing so purely for the sake of attacking Night.

Night had been headed towards the balcony already to meet Rilu, but he turned away inconspicuously so that he could keep an eye on Arden instead. Arden had stayed away from joining any of the Guilds in the past, and though he had never shown any signs of magical ability other than being a Rithmatist, Night felt that something was off about the man. Night's Ashspren, Sain, was still being quiet; but Night knew Sain would help if he was needed. 

The music changed to a slightly faster song.

Arden glanced around the ballroom, looking for the Dustbringer. He had traced Night across the Alleyverse, but the elusive Ghostblood had evaded Arden for weeks. Arden had finally caught up to him here, knowing that Night would be unable to resist attending the ball- apparently, along with every other Homeless of any fame. 

"The Dustbringer must die," Arden thought.

Edited by PrinceDusty

I'm going to use the pre-made character that I had added to the character roster. Here's the jist of him:

He has the same usage rules as Ioc, but Cenet is mostly an exposition guy. He's mostly a businessman that trades in information, though he'll tell patrons about locations, names, and other personal details, the person that you inquired about will also know about the person that inquired about them and their motives. He can tell you about what they do and how to get in contact with them, without them knowing about it. He is also familiar with all magic systems in the Alleyverse and beyond (so other settings that haven't been presented here yet, like the Witcher and D&D)

The main difference between the usage clauses of Ioc and Cenet is that Cenet can come back if he's 'killed', so feel free to do that, as long as you have sufficient reason to.

For more info, check out the character thread!

Cenet's first stop in the Alleyverse was a ball. There was likely going to be intrigue and political maneuvering involved since the patrons of the ball were assassins, and he liked to see plans ruined, though it's likely that it wouldn't be him personally that ruined it. Most importantly of all, his appearance here would spread rumors and information about him, and rumors and information was free advertising.

He walked up the steps and into the grand ballroom, his standard attire fit for a ball, at least by human standards. Eyes would be on him the moment he entered though thanks to the fact that aside from his suit, slacks, and hood over his head, nothing could be seen of him, but they were there. No head, no hands, no flesh, only transparence.

His walking stick touched the floor as the large doors were opened by servants. He stepped inside, ready to do business.

"Good evening," he greeted the first person he could see with a bow, a not-so-standard human greeting. A man tinkering with some machinery, @MetaTerminal "my name is Cenet," he introduced himself. "May I ask what that is?" he gestured to the machinery with his cane, "I can trade you for information, of course, and as a sample."

"Ask me about anything regarding the world or regarding yourself, if I answer something that you already know, or something that I do not know or cannot answer, feel free to ask for another piece of information." He concluded his sentence with another bow.

As ponderous as tectonic plates, the gilt door opened. A young man in dress slacks and a Hawaiian shirt came through the door, grinning and trying to walk in a way as to make himself look more intense. He displayed no weapons but a self depricatingly cheesy smile and his hair spiked up.

Althea stepped up to the hall and handed her invitation over. The man shrank back when he met her cold and stern glance, but then announced her anyway.

"Althea. Ghostblood."

She stepped into the room, observing those that had already arrived. A slight smile ghosted over her lips as she scanned the room. It was evening and although the room was lit by candles, the sun wasn't able to reach it anymore. Removing her sunglases she carefulls stowed them away. This was going to be an interessting evening.

She greeted the council respectfully and then walked over to Night. It would only be polite to greet him as well. With an respectful incline of her head she adressed him.

"Good evening. I don't think we've met so far. I'm Althea."

Carefully watching for his reaction to her outer appearance she let her red eyes rest on him, strands of white hair falling around her face.

@PrinceDusty

Night smiled nervously at Althea, trying to keep Arden in his sight at the same time- he appeared to be looking for someone. Night shifted so that Althea was between him and Arden, then turned his focus to Althea. 

The underling had announced her as a Ghostblood, though Night had yet to meet her- which was to be expected, considering the numerous members of the Ghostbloods who either kept themselves undercover or were assigned to locations far from where Night was. 

"The name is Night, Third of the Night," Night said crisply. "Born on Roshar, raised on First of the Sun. So you're a Ghostblood as well?" He glanced at Arden every few seconds. Arden had moved down the stairs and to the other side of the ballroom, so Night temporarily let Arden slide from his thoughts. "What have you been doing lately?"

@Sorana

Arden didn't see Night. There were too many men in cloaks- Ghostblood underlings[read: NPCs] wandered throughout the room such as the Obligators had in the old balls on Scadrial so long ago. Everyone seemed to be disguised or otherwise trying to remain inconspicuous.

Edited by PrinceDusty

Althea observed him, how he moved to put her between him and someone else.

"Yes I am. I've been studying."

She replied curtly, unwilling to give anything more away on that topic. Unsure how much he knew about the plans of the council. They would have informed him if he needed to know.

Stepping closer she lowered her voice:

"Are you in need of assistance?"

@PrinceDusty

Edited by Sorana

Since M&M are currently locked in battle, I’ll be using a random character you’ll probably never see again. Enjoy.

Lusk entered. He gave the announcer a small nod as he handed in an invite.

“Lusk! Ghostblood.”

As some people in the ball turned to Lusk he smiled politely to them, making sure not to touch the silver doorhandle as he entered into the cool air of the ball.

He looked to the Council, their shadowy figures watching all that was taking place. He did a little bow, and proceeded to look around. Not a bad place.

He took an inconspicuous position at the side of the ballroom. Of course, he himself wasn’t very inconspicuous, what with the badly creased suit, slightly messy hair and habit for fidgeting, not to mention the fact he always looked somehow distant... but it was something.

Inconspicuity was important. Lusk was a sort of bouncer, one could say. A bouncer who wasn’t muscular or particularly confident, but still one nonetheless. One with abilities that would help him.

He was here to make sure nothing came too out of hand. So many magic users here, and sometimes you needed someone like Lusk to make sure things ran smoothly.

Half of him wanted someone to do something wrong, if only to experience the satisfaction of taking him out. The other half strongly prayed for the opposite.

Lusk was bored. He saw a person standing to a glowing ball, and waved. “Hi!” He said.

Oh, no. He’d really done it now. E wasn’t supposed to wave. Still, he had. Nothing to do about it now. He gulped.

@Inklingspren

Riathor smiled. He loved parties, or rather, the excuse of dressing up in fancy clothes that look supa dramatic when you Steelpush around.

Plus, there was food.

'Riathor...' the attendant called out, then paused. Riathor waved to the attendant, signaling that it was alright if there wasn't a title. Riathor didn't storming want one.

'Riathor!' the attendant called out.

Riathor smiled. He descended the steps to the ballroom.

Then froze as the next name was called out.

'G. Leebray, It who dominates!'

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Lusk entered. He gave the announcer a small nod as he handed in an invite.

“Lusk! Ghostblood.”

As some people in the ball turned to Lusk he smiled politely to them, making sure not to touch the silver doorhandle as he entered into the cool air of the ball.

He looked to the Council, their shadowy figures watching all that was taking place. He did a little bow, and proceeded to look around. Not a bad place.

He took an inconspicuous position at the side of the ballroom. Of course, he himself wasn’t very inconspicuous, what with the badly creased suit, slightly messy hair and habit for fidgeting, not to mention the fact he always looked somehow distant... but it was something.

Inconspicuity was important. Lusk was a sort of bouncer, one could say. A bouncer who wasn’t muscular or particularly confident, but still one nonetheless. One with abilities that would help him.

He was here to make sure nothing came too out of hand. So many magic users here, and sometimes you needed someone like Lusk to make sure things ran smoothly.

Half of him wanted someone to do something wrong, if only to experience the satisfaction of taking him out. The other half strongly prayed for the opposite.

Lusk was bored. He saw a person standing to a glowing ball, and waved. “Hi!” He said.

Oh, no. He’d really done it now. E wasn’t supposed to wave. Still, he had. Nothing to do about it now. He gulped.

@Inklingspren

Someone tried to talk to Rilu. Of course they would, he realized, it's a ball. "Hello," he replied, not wanting to be rude, but also not wanting to start a conversation.

The person with the glowing ball said hello back, and Lusk was relieved he hadn’t accidentally distracted himself from his job. The person Lusk had talked to was approached by another person, asking to define a guest who had just entered.

“Why?” Lusk asked, walking up to the person. This was his business. “Do you think they could be trouble?”

17 minutes ago, Gancho Libre said:

That person was Rilu. "Hi," Riathor said. "Can you describe the person who was just announced? I know it's a weird request,"

"I can't really see them," Rilu reliled. It was true, the figure was hidden beneath a large cloak that hid any features. And now that first person wanted to talk again. After this, he was going to the balcony just to observe. No more conversations. 

Feel free to annoy Rilu when he tries to ignore everyone. He's like me at parties. Or most introverts for that matter.

Devaan donned the clothes of a Terris steward and accompanied Ghostblood member Selser Shal into the ball. With the clothes he had, it was unlikely people would recognize him. He wanted some nostalgia from simpler times. He wanted to pull a scam, he looked around the room searching for a mark

Mack flew through the sky in his Mk. 4 suit, fire streaming or behind him, until he could see the party house.

Moving his hand jets, he slowed down and set himself down in front of the door, where he dismissed his helmet, pulled his black and gold robe out of his pack. This one was specially tailored so he could wear it on top of his suit. Throwing it over his shoulders, he walked in.

”Mack! Master Craftsman, noble in the court of Newcago, and former DA dep-”

With a glare, Mack cut the man off. He was not and never was a department head in the DA. That had to remain true for the plan to work. How did that even get on the card? Mack paced across the floor, his metal boots clinging against the tile floor. 

“Can I see my card?” He asked the attendant. When he saw it, he saw a sticky note on the bottom with, DA department head, written on it. “I didn’t stick that there, could you uh take that off? Thank you.”

”Of course, sorry sir. Just before you arrived a Man in a Cream Suit showed up and said you wanted this on your card, said he was a messanger from you.”

Macks eyes widened, Mac? Here? That guy was an idiot! Anyone with a spike in them could see him! What if someone recognized him? He cast his eyes around the room until he found him next to the root beer bar with a martini glass full of it. He saw Mack, and started laughing.

”Did you like my prank?” He said as Mack approached him.

”No you slontze! I can’t have any official ties to the DA if our plans gonna work! And your nerve in coming here! Showing up to a ball thrown by your former guild mates? Honestly! Anyone with a spike could see you!” He hissed.

”Ahh, don’t worry about it! I’m retired, nobody has seen me in at least 17 years! The only person here who could blow my cover would be lopen, but he’s not here so we are good! Ooh look, Devan in his Terri’s robes, I want to watch this. You go have fun.”

Rolling his eyes, Mack went to the egg nog bar, his aluminum fleet clanging every step of the way, and drew himself a large glass, nodding to Alum on his way over. I need to fix my feet, he thought. 

For those who are wondering, Mac kind of looks like Dr Doom, without the mask. Also, I do have a list of features that each one of Mack’s suits have, so if things break out, I won’t be making things up on the spot. 

Edited by MacThorstenson

It smiled from the area for council members. It was a ghostblood. It even had a tattoo to prove it. It smiled at the party guests, waving from It's seat. It was here to have fun. And to step in if things got rough. It stepped onto the ballroom, heading over to the root beer bar. It loved root beer.

A black Glass car pulled up outside and Mr Amber got out.

Walking up to the entrance he handed the sergeant there his invitation and a small piece of chocolate.

”Mr Amber. Ghostblood Specialist.” THe servant announced.

Walking into the building Mr Amber grinned, Ski was somewhere else and hopefully didn’t get invited, so he could finally work as a Ghostblood again.

And hopefully RolePlay more.

Tena casually walked through the door of the ball, eyeing the attendants carefully before handing the announcer her card. 

"Tena, Ghostblood Extraordinaire!" the announcer half-yelled bemusedly. She gave him a grin and elbowed the stiffly-dressed man in the ribs good-naturedly. She strolled into the room, absently flipped a coin to the ground, and Steelpushed against it. She got a decent survey of the attendants and noted Devaan, eyes widening. She dropped back to the ground and patted the pouch where her silver claws and the Shadestone were, then started whistling and wandered the room aimlessly. The tune she was whistling was the 'The Thing' theme. A few people gave her creeped-out looks. 

She absentmindledy rubbed her shoulder, pushing the sleeve of her practical jerkin to reveal a Ghostblood tattoo. 

The musicians started playing Cotton-Eye Joe, and the lanky young boy began dancing, long legs flying everywhere. Some poor NPC soul who had the right voice was forced to sing the repetitive lyrics over and over again.

"If it hadn't been for cotton-eye Joe
I'd been married long time ago
Where did you come from. Where did you go?
Where did you come from cotton-eye Joe?"