Step by step process of medallion creation.

Calderis

@Alyxara in addition to what @Spoolofwhool said, which I completely agree with, there's also the fact that Duralumin is an alloy of aluminium. If you store your identity, and then store another attribute in another metal, that trait stored has no Identity attached to it.

I'm merely proposing that duralumin Feruchemy, the alloy of aluminum, functions similarly with connection. You tap a ton of Connection, store a trait, and that trait is suffused with that Connection. 

I went as far with this as to ask the question of Brandon. 

Calderis [PENDING REVIEW]

Feruchemical aluminum stores and taps a marker that seems to suffuse all Investiture within a person, removing or strengthening Identity. Does Feruchemical duralumin work similarly? Does tapping connection while storing in a metalmind increase the connection of the Investiture stored?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO. Mostly because I've got a main character who's going to be doing this, I'm not going to spoil the fun or lock myself down yet.

source

I wouldn't have asked the question if we had evidence contrary to this that I was aware of, so if you know of some please point me to it. 

Edited by Calderis

On 10/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Calderis said:

Calderis [PENDING REVIEW]

Feruchemical aluminum stores and taps a marker that seems to suffuse all Investiture within a person, removing or strengthening Identity. Does Feruchemical duralumin work similarly? Does tapping connection while storing in a metalmind increase the connection of the Investiture stored?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO. Mostly because I've got a main character who's going to be doing this, I'm not going to spoil the fun or lock myself down yet.

"Lock myself down yet".  This means that, while he's playing with this idea, he has not actually developed this to the point where it is cannon to him.  To me, this blows any theory of this being involved in Medallions out of the water.  

4 hours ago, Tglassy said:

"Lock myself down yet".  This means that, while he's playing with this idea, he has not actually developed this to the point where it is cannon to him.  To me, this blows any theory of this being involved in Medallions out of the water.  

Except for the fact that we've been directly told that it is involved. 

Questioner

Does creating unsealed metalmind involve Feruchemical duralumin?

Brandon Sanderson

(hesitating)...Yes. I will write it all out for you eventually. I want to get at least one more book done, then you find out exactly why and how.

Questioner

Because I was pretty confused about the Investiture and Spiritweb...

Brandon Sanderson

Here is the reason I'm kind of hesitant of this, [why not you just RAFO this one right now], but it is not a RAFO, because it is like it's a secret. I want to write it out exactly how it happens, because I have it in my notes in bullet points and it's complicated, right? Cause I want some of the things in the magic system as be as complicated as for instance explaining how a computer works right now. You can do it, but you know...I want the magic to start getting that technical if that makes sense. When you say "involve", right, that's a big word. Why just don't you let me, after lost metal...if I haven't released it, you have permission to come to me and say: "Brandon, you said you would release this, you haven't yet [...]" and I will give to you the bullet point flowchart of how you build the unkeyed metalminds.

source

Until a book is released, all WoBs are tentative and able to be contradicted by Canon. So, yes he obviously doesn't WA t to limit himself, and even if he were to have confirmed my question, it would sti be subject to change until its written out. 

That doesn't mean it isn't involved. He's said that it is. And there I definitely some manner of Connection be used. 

Questioner

So nicrosil.  Wax couldn’t use a blank gold metalmind because he’s not a gold ferring, why can he use a blank nicrosil metalmind?

Brandon Sanderson

So this will all come out eventually but the idea is there are certain ways to connect yourself to magic, to hack the magic and make it think you have the Spiritual DNA that you don’t actually have.  And this is one of the ways.

Questioner

So then the people who made this medallion have this thing that a regular nicrosil Ferring couldn’t--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you’re picking up on it. We’ll dig deeper into it as the series progresses.

source

• Chaos locked this topic