Can you Awaken in Darkness?

Shaukan-son-Hasweth

On 10/18/2018 at 6:39 PM, Rhapsody said:

A mirror most of the time is a reflective metal sheet (mostly silver) behind glass. So I guess you would take the color from the silver (making it a more dull grey color) and cloud the glass (WOB says gemstones drained of color would look like cloudy quarz so I guess glass which is made from the same molecules would also cloud.)

In many cases, mirrors are actually very slightly green.

That being said, because of how perception works in the cosmere, I highly doubt that the 'green' part of the metal would get taken out while awakening, since that's not the color that comes to mind when you think of a mirror!

On 19.10.2018 at 5:25 PM, RShara said:

I guess it depends on whether Brandon is thinking organic as in the chemical definition, or organic as in, "was once alive." From things said in Warbreaker, it sounded more like the latter. The closer something is to having been alive, the easier to Awaken, anyway. And if it has any affect on what can have its color drained, I would think it'd be the same definition. The God King's black palace is marble, which was probably limestone, which was made from living creatures.

I don't think the color draining effect has something to do with the ease or difficulty of awakening.

2 hours ago, tmnsquirtle said:

In many cases, mirrors are actually very slightly green.

That being said, because of how perception works in the cosmere, I highly doubt that the 'green' part of the metal would get taken out while awakening, since that's not the color that comes to mind when you think of a mirror!

It shouldn't matter what color people think of when they think of an object.  Color is drained regardless of whether someone is even aware they are draining the color.  That means it's not a cognitive choice, it's just something that happens.  

1 minute ago, Tglassy said:

It shouldn't matter what color people think of when they think of an object.  Color is drained regardless of whether someone is even aware they are draining the color.  That means it's not a cognitive choice, it's just something that happens.  

Isn't Sanderson pretty adamant about how much perception matters in the cosmere? That's pretty much the whole basis of realmatic theory, after all: the way an object is perceived in the physical affects its cognitive representation and spiritual self. So while it's definitely possible that you're right about that, my money is on the possibility of color draining being impacted by perception in some way.

2 minutes ago, StarrFall said:

Agreed, but whose perception?  The fuel object’s or the Awakener’s?

I suppose technically it would be the Awakener's. But to be fair we're talking about a fairly niche case here. In order for it to work the way I'm imagining, the Awakener would probably have to be of a pretty significant heightening. And I'm not even sure that you could drain green out of a mirror in the first place, since 1) it's a very faint color, which would probably mean that the 'amount' of color you can drain out of it is insignificant, and 2) I was being pedantic when I linked that video. The circumstances required to make this happen are so specific, and pointless, that I can easily see it never coming up.

I agree that perception is important in the cosmere. But in WB Vivenna awakens stuff and is afterwards remarking about what actually lost color. I think she one time also tries to draw the color from something specific and it end up draining something else. But my memory could be faulty in this case. I would have to search for the exact reference.

So I'm not sure how much influence the Awakener himself has on the color draining effect be it his concious effort or perception.

That's my point.  Yes, perception is huge in many things in the Cosmere.  But not everything.  Perception is NOT huge, for example, on Sel, with AeonDor.  You have to know,  precisely, how to draw it, and what to draw, and how to end it.  It's more of a science than anything.  Perception in Allomancy is huge.  A bullet is either one piece of metal or three pieces of metal, depending on your perception.  But that's not the case in all things.

An Awakener doesn't even need to know there's color nearby to Awaken with it.  It's automatic.  Their perception doesn't play into it in this case.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another one that seems to say it's drawing on the material that produces the color itself, and not the illumination. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If you shine a red light on a white wall, could you use the color from that to Awaken?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Ooh, good question! I would say you would end up leeching the color out of the lightbulb that you were shining through.

source

• Chaos locked this topic