Evi's Religion Worships Adonalsium

Kelkamer

So I can't find it mentioned or talked about anywhere, but I'm about exactly here in an Oathbringer reread and Evi and Dalinar just got done talking about how Dalinar is changing (getting older). 

We know already Evi's religion has been described as kinda pagan, kinda vorin. Dalinar is talking about getting older and she says he's changing from one aspect to another. He asks her to clarify and she talks about how they worship"the One", all power is his power, the old magic is "an aspect of the One" (Cultivation/Nightwatcher) who grants some of his power, the Almighty is another aspect, there are many aspects to the One, and people can change between aspects at different times in their lives. 

Sounds like she (her culture) worships Adonalsium and/or the Shards and could even be the closest thing to a "one true religion" of the Cosmere. 

I've searched Arcanum, the Coppermind, and good ole Google but haven't found anything about this. Any info would be great

Screenshot_20181004-130903.jpg

Edit: I relistened cause it was 45 min in between hearing and being able to post. I definitely paraphrased and used a wrong word (aspect instead of Avatar), but the overall point is the same.

Edited by Kelkamer

Evi is Riran, and Riran religion is heavily influenced by Iri religion, and the Iri are not native to Roshar.

Questioner

I’ve been fixating on this mass exodus. The Iriali, the Iri people, are they the people of the mass exodus? Or-- I've always wanted it to be the people of Threnody.

Brandon Sanderson

The Iriali are not native to Roshar.

Questioner

Okay, that's... what I've always assumed.

It is possible that the Iriali's original religion did in fact worship Adonalsium, and this has been passed down through generations into the present day Iriali and the Rirans, and consequently Evi, even as knowledge of the Cosmere faded. This is based on my whole one point of evidence however, so theres a decent chance this is incorrect.

Edited by Kal-Eldin

It is and it isn't. The Iriali religion is definitely influenced by the shattering (Ym talks about The One in his interlude as well), but there are other things influencing it that (presumably) we don't know about. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Kind of, yes.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

source

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

It is and it isn't. The Iriali religion is definitely influenced by the shattering (Ym talks about The One in his interlude as well), but there are other things influencing it that (presumably) we don't know about. 

Yes, but the point is that its possible that Evi's religion has been indirectly influenced by the Iri into a belief in Adonalsium.

35 minutes ago, Kal-Eldin said:

Yes, but the point is that its possible that Evi's religion has been indirectly influenced by the Iri into a belief in Adonalsium.

She worships The One. It seems to be the Iriali religion that she follows. Her nationality does not dictate her religion. 

Edited by Calderis

37 minutes ago, Calderis said:

She worships The One. It seems to be the Iriali religion that she follows. Her nationality does not dictate her religion. 

To be fair, I think "indirect influence" is a fair way to word that.  Just like you could say Shallan's belief in Vorinism is indirectly influenced by her growing up in Jah Keved, or in a Vorin family/community.

Doesn't seem like many high-ranking people in Roshar are interested in being a heretic in their home countries.

The One splitting itself up on purpose could echo what happened to Adonalsium, but it also definitely echos what Autonomy is doing with it's avatars. I would argue that Taldain was one of the previous worlds of the Iriali. 

They have three Monarchs, each with complete control (or Autonomy) over a different aspect of government. The Queen that Dalinar speaks to in OB has total authority over foreign policy. It's not a committee of monarchs it's three separate yet equal rulers all working independently, but on behalf the same whole. It is such a weird setup, I get extreme autonomy vibes from this.  https://coppermind.net/wiki/Iri

That's not to say Adonalsium isn't an influence on their religion, but Autonomy could be the more recent influence Brandon is hinting at. 

For what it's worth I think the prior 3 words were Sel - Elantrians have metallic silver hair, Iriali have metallic gold.;Taldain for the reasons stated above; and Nalthis because Evi uses a weird color metaphor like Vasher in one of the flashbacks:

"and the life will be white as a sun at night!" - Evi; OB Chapter 34 Resistance

"Like white on black." Vasher; OB Chapter 16 Wrapped Three Times

Notice also the reference to odd day night cycles which could also point to Taldain. Evi's comment is like Vasher's White on Black color metaphor from Nalthis mixed with a dayside nightside reference from Taldain.  https://coppermind.net/wiki/Taldain

• Chaos locked this topic