Why did Aona and Skai decide to settle together?

goody153

So Ruin&Preservation was just some weird opposites attract thing where one can't just be alone without the other interfering so that makes sense. Honor&Cultivation settled together because they're romantically involved so that one is quite obvious.

However how did Aona and Skai end up together settling on the same planet when the shards they held don't seem to gel well by concept ? Do you guys think it is personal like they personally know each other enough that they trust each other to settle together ? Are they previously romantically involved as well ( tho Sanderson did say they were just business partners of sort but I think I read some wob there was something more) ? Or after picking up the shards did with their warped personality both made a conscious agreed decision together as they foresaw they would work out well for their personal shard intents ?

It feels like their settling on the same planet together like how two friends/strangers who have different personalities just decide to become roommates or something. Their case is a curious as if I think about it Dominion and Devotion sounds almost as disastrous as R&P.

Any relevant wobs ? Speculations ? Thoughts 

We know that other than Honor & Culti, there were at least another relationship of that style among the Vessels, maybe it was the one between Aona and Skai

Wetlander

Were any of the original Shardholders related? We know that Honor and Cultivation were romantically involved, but were any of them brother and sister or child/parent?

Brandon Sanderson

There was at least one relationship of that style.

source

They could have a pre-existing relationship like @Yata said.  It's possible the intents Dominion and Devotion could go together, not as opposites, but in the way Brandon says Honor and Odium could go together if the Vessels were different. 

People can be protective and controlling of those they love be it lovers or children. Sometimes to a fault for sure, but it is a natural instinct. 

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Questioner

What Shard is the opposite of Odium in the sense of the *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

There are several that could be considered opposites--

Questioner

I mean in the assimilation sense, you’ve said that Odium doesn’t want to absorb any of the other ones but which one would want to?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, which one would want to join with him?

Questioner

Or any of them.

Brandon Sanderson

I think that if personalities had been different, Honor and Odium, there would have been a very natural pairing, not that they’re opposites but they would have attracted. [...]

Edited by Child of Hodor

I don't think we know enough about the naming strictures on Yolen to make any assumptions about the regions or languages they are based in. 

How are the names Aona and Skai any more or less similar than Sarah and John? Zack and Angie? 

Edited by Calderis

@Calderis It could be more a thing like England vs Ireland on naming where they're neighboring countries with similar naming conventions but still distinct. Aona and Skai just sound different enough to be from different origins but similar roots.

We can make some guesses on naming conventions just from the ones we do know from the Vessels, Hoid and the closest we have to Hoid's real name to know there's definitely different nations and cultures on Yolen when it comes to humans

On 10/4/2018 at 8:08 AM, Calderis said:

How are the names Aona and Skai any more or less similar than Sarah and John? Zack and Angie? 

In the original language "Sarah" and "John" would have had the "similar sound/look" thing going for them. "Zack" comes from "Zachariah" and "Angie" from "Angela," I think. IDK how often the notion of nicknames arises but I doubt "Aona" and "Skai" are nicknames for the Vessels?

19 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

In the original language "Sarah" and "John" would have had the "similar sound/look" thing going for them. "Zack" comes from "Zachariah" and "Angie" from "Angela," I think. IDK how often the notion of nicknames arises but I doubt "Aona" and "Skai" are nicknames for the Vessels?

You're missing the point. We can find similarities in names we have because we know the language and the roots and meaning of all of the things. The string of letters even, we can find common syllables and syllable combinations. 

We don't have any of that for Yolen. The only thing we have in that regard is relevant to the Sho Del. 

For the rest of them, Tanavast, Aona, Skai, Rayse, Edgli, Bavadin, Leras, Ati. They could be from every corner of Yolen or the same storming neighborhood and we have nothing to tell the difference. 

On 10/5/2018 at 2:51 PM, Ishar said:

I have a friend (@Ashspren) who strongly believes that Aona and Skai are siblings, which is why they settled on the same planet. Personally, I think that it definitely is within the realm of possibility, and I do think it is likely.

Thanks for tagging me, Ish. 

I do believe that they were siblings, possibly even twins. When we look at the Vessels who broke the "no-mulitple-Shards-on-a-planet" rule, we find the following: 

• Cultivation and Honor –– lovers
  • Ati and Leras –– best friends
  • Aona and Skai –– ???

I think that a sibling dynamic is highly likely, if only because we haven't seen it yet. 

20 hours ago, Ashspren said:

I think that a sibling dynamic is highly likely, if only because we haven't seen it yet. 

I'm betting on Aona and Skai being daughter and father, maybe. There can be some pretty precise Dominion and Devotion inside that kind of relationship, as much as patriotism is a blend of the same as per AonDor.

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2018 at 1:35 AM, Yata said:

We know that other than Honor & Culti, there were at least another relationship of that style among the Vessels, maybe it was the one between Aona and Skai

This sounds to me more like BranSan is keeping mum about planning for either one pair of them being a homosexual couple (he does seems to want a few of those going on somewhere), or one of them, likely Uli Da, was was romantic with Midius/Hoid/Cephandrius/Wit.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, Ripheus23 said:

I'm betting on Aona and Skai being daughter and father, maybe. There can be some pretty precise Dominion and Devotion inside that kind of relationship, as much as patriotism is a blend of the same as per AonDor.

Maybe, but I get the feeling BS isn’t comfortable writing those relationships, they are always substitute father-figures.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:49 AM, Ashspren said:

Thanks for tagging me, Ish. 

I do believe that they were siblings, possibly even twins. When we look at the Vessels who broke the "no-mulitple-Shards-on-a-planet" rule, we find the following: 

• Cultivation and Honor –– lovers
  • Ati and Leras –– best friends
  • Aona and Skai –– ???

Do we have any confirmation regarding Ati & Leras' relationship? 

13 hours ago, Mæster Olórin said:

This sounds to me more like BranSan is keeping mum about planning for either one pair of them being a homosexual couple (he does seems to want a few of those going on somewhere), or one of them, likely Uli Da, was was romantic with Midius/Hoid/Cephandrius/Wit.

You do realize this topic was almost two years dead, right?

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 11:08 AM, Calderis said:

I don't think we know enough about the naming strictures on Yolen to make any assumptions about the regions or languages they are based in. 

John is short for Johnathan. In Hebrew it’s Yonasan, root Nasan, give. Yud makes it future tense, if I’m recalling correctly. A similar name is Nathanial - Nasanel in Hebrew (God gives) Nasan is obviously related to both, as both the name and the root word.

Sarah is the feminine of Sar, prince. Sarah is princess. So Nasan is a verb (give) while Sarah is a noun (princess)

Zach is short for Zechariah, Hebrew  Zecharyah, the Hebrew root being  Zachar, remember. The Yud Hey at the end is for God. It is also a verb.

Hebrew words have two to four letter roots (most have three). Adding letters and vowels changes the tense and gender. Blending of two words to create a statement is common. For example: Achos sheli (my sister) becomes Achosi (my sister).

Sarah is the odd name out here, due to only having a two letter root. It’s also a noun. You can probably see a  resemblance between the two males names and these: Yochanan, Yechezkel, Gavriel, Michoel, Daniel, Yeshaya, Yeshu, Sholom, Shlomo, Yishmael, Shmuel, etc. For a similar girls name: Yocheved

Sarah compared to other girls names: Rivka, Aliza, Dina, Chedva, Chana, Chava, Malka, Shoshana, Devorah, Meira, Mazal, Meirav, Miriam, etc. For a similar boy’s name: Simcha.

Miriam and Meira, believe it or not, are the closest to Sarah in many ways. Miriam has two two letter roots: Mar (bitter) and Yam (water),and Meira has the two letter root Or (light). The Mem means from. Meir - from light. Meira - feminine form. In the case of Mar, it’s an adjective. Miriam - Bitter water

The relationship is pretty obvious if you know the original names and some basic Hebrew grammar rules. It’s why I recognized Alethi for a Semitic based language very quickly; a lot of the names and places have the ‘feel’ of Hebrew and Aramaic. Probably Arabic, but I’m not familiar enough with how it sounds.

Angie is short for Angela, from the word Angel. This is entirely unrelated to the previous three names due to coming from a different language. Latin, I think. The Hebrew word is Malach, messenger, which bears some resemblance to Nasan and Zachar.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

On 9/23/2020 at 1:28 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

John is short for Johnathan. In Hebrew it’s Yonasan, root Nasan, give. Yud makes it future tense, if I’m recalling correctly. A similar name is Nathanial - Nasanel in Hebrew (God gives) Nasan is obviously related to both, as both the name and the root word.

Sarah is the feminine of Sar, prince. Sarah is princess. So Nasan is a verb (give) while Sarah is a noun (princess)

Zach is short for Zechariah, Hebrew  Zecharyah, the Hebrew root being  Zachar, remember. The Yud Hey at the end is for God. It is also a verb.

Hebrew words have two to four letter roots (most have three). Adding letters and vowels changes the tense and gender. Blending of two words to create a statement is common. For example: Achos sheli (my sister) becomes Achosi (my sister).

Sarah is the odd name out here, due to only having a two letter root. It’s also a noun. You can probably see a  resemblance between the two males names and these: Yochanan, Yechezkel, Gavriel, Michoel, Daniel, Yeshaya, Yeshu, Sholom, Shlomo, Yishmael, Shmuel, etc. For a similar girls name: Yocheved

Sarah compared to other girls names: Rivka, Aliza, Dina, Chedva, Chana, Chava, Malka, Shoshana, Devorah, Meira, Mazal, Meirav, Miriam, etc. For a similar boy’s name: Simcha.

Miriam and Meira, believe it or not, are the closest to Sarah in many ways. Miriam has two two letter roots: Mar (bitter) and Yam (water),and Meira has the two letter root Or (light). The Mem means from. Meir - from light. Meira - feminine form. In the case of Mar, it’s an adjective. Miriam - Bitter water

The relationship is pretty obvious if you know the original names and some basic Hebrew grammar rules. It’s why I recognized Alethi for a Semitic based language very quickly; a lot of the names and places have the ‘feel’ of Hebrew and Aramaic. Probably Arabic, but I’m not familiar enough with how it sounds.

Angie is short for Angela, from the word Angel. This is entirely unrelated to the previous three names due to coming from a different language. Latin, I think. The Hebrew word is Malach, messenger, which bears some resemblance to Nasan and Zachar.

13 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Angela comes from Aggelos in Greek (the double gamma is pronounced like an -ng though).  It just means messenger/courier.  Same as Malach in Hebrew.  Both have a secondary meaning to refer to divine messengers.

Y’all are missing Calderis’ point, so much so that his reply to someone else answers this again perfectly:

On 10/6/2018 at 6:32 PM, Calderis said:

You're missing the point. We can find similarities in names we have because we know the language and the roots and meaning of all of the things. The string of letters even, we can find common syllables and syllable combinations. 

We don't have any of that for Yolen. The only thing we have in that regard is relevant to the Sho Del. 

For the rest of them, Tanavast, Aona, Skai, Rayse, Edgli, Bavadin, Leras, Ati. They could be from every corner of Yolen or the same storming neighborhood and we have nothing to tell the difference. 

We know all the rules for Greek and Hebrew, suffixes and prefixes and stems. We don’t know Yolish ones. We can’t say that Tana- means sky and -Vast means warrior because we don’t know if those are the roots or if it’s Tanava- and -st or Ta- -na- -Vast or if there’s even root words that mean distinct things at all. There’s no information on what proto Yolish word Rayse could be descended from if it even is or if Leras and Aona are from the same language. We don’t even know what languages Brandon has drawn from to have on Yolen, if it isn’t just general fantasy names picked because they sound cool.

Edited by MyrmidonOfAchilles

17 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Angela comes from Aggelos in Greek (the double gamma is pronounced like an -ng though).  It just means messenger/courier.  Same as Malach in Hebrew.  Both have a secondary meaning to refer to divine messengers.

Thanks! I didn’t know that. Always good to learn something new.