Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
What's a Seawolf?

The Sleepless are the Sibling

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Or rather, the ‘Hive Mind’ in charge of the Sleepless is the Sibling.

And I put hive mind in quotes because I’m not saying a hive mind like the Borg from Star Trek.

From a WoB asking if the Sleepless are Slivers: “…And this is actually an individual that's not a hivemind. These are-- This is an individual, single consciousness…”

So not a hive mind, but that collection of single cremlings that supposedly have souls and minds of their own make up an individual Sleepless consciousness.

From another WoB, around the same time, speaking of the Sleepless: “Hive beings who are constantly losing individual members, but maintaining a persistent personality spread across all of them, immortal in that as long as too much of the hive isn't wiped out, the personality can persist.”

So Sleepless have the ability to spread their personality out and control a bunch of individual cremling members.

These Sleepless ‘souls,’ as I’ll call them, have to come from somewhere.  I’m saying these souls are created by a Master Sleepless (probably one that predates Shard arrival on Roshar,) and/or the Master Sleepless can coordinate to a degree amongst individual Sleepless.  (Similar to how individual Sleepless coordinate amongst a bunch of cremlings.)

A conversation between Dalinar and the Stormfather I’ve seen discussed a lot: “There is…a third sibling. They are not with us.”   “In hiding?”     “No. Slumbering.”     ....  “No! Leave them alone. You hurt them enough.”

Taking ‘they’ literally, and it could easily be meant to describe the Sleepless.  The Sleepless write the blurbs on the back of the book, constantly referring to themselves in the plural.  But Arclo, in Edgedancer, refers to himself with ‘I’.  Now, you can hand wave that away and say the end blurbs are written by a group of Sleepless referring to their race as a whole, but the very nature of Sleepless is many things becoming one.  Why can’t there be a Master Sleepless above the individuals who would speak in plural?

Now how does this relate to Urithiru?

Chapter 68 epigraph

My research into the cognitive reflections of spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent—but I find counter to that theory. (From drawer 1-1, first zircon)

Chapter 70 epigraph

Something is happening to the Sibling. I agree this is true, but the division among the Knights Radiant is not to blame. Our perceived worthiness is a separate issue.

From the wiki: A series of related records left by an Elsecaller in drawer 1-1 of the Urithiru gem archive link the Sibling to the health of the tower city. The entries relate the decline of the tower's functionality (particularly with respect to habitation failures) to the withdrawal of the Sibling.[3][4] The author argues that the spren's disappearance was neither intentional nor a result of internal strife among the Knights Radiant.[3][5] The cause of the Sibling's disappearance is unknown.

Urithiru is an inanimate place that seems to (when working) function like a living one.  It would certainly help having a consciousness behind that, one that is used to coordinating between many individuals, be it cremlings or lesser Sleepless.

More, in Edgedancer, Arclo mentions the idea that whenever someone goes unconscious, they effectively die and a new clone soul comes to inhabit their body once they regain consciousness. Seems a very odd thing to be placed in the narrative of our first ever obvious on screen appearance of a Sleepless.

If Arclo’s creator/master/some being above him was deep in slumber (as the Sibling is mentioned being,) it would certainly be something on his mind.

Plus, I like the idea that the ‘Sleepless’ are influenced/controlled/created by a mind that is currently ‘slumbering.’  (Heck, maybe that's why they came to refer to themselves as the Sleepless, because of whatever happened to the 'Master,' they are unable to sleep and/or access some other part of their abilities.  Perhaps individual Sleepless can only access surges/spren when the Sibling is bonded?)

Someone who knows more about timelines will have to answer this next part, but is it possible the scouring of Aimia is what caused the Sibling (Master Sleepless) to retreat from Urithiru?  A return to its homeland or some sort of power reduction/forced slumbering based on what happened there?

Do the timelines match up?

tl;dr for this stream of consciousness theory: There is some sort of Head Sleepless who once ran/controlled Urithiru, and this being is the third Bondsmith, the Sibling.

(PS.  Has there ever been confirmation that there is more than one Sleepless active in the world at a time?)

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Formatting

Posted (edited)

I think the Sibling is a single, non-binary spren due to this WoB 

wiresegal

In OB, you explained that the Singers have four sexes. I was wondering... Can the Singers have genders other than those four, like humans? Even as simple as just not going with male, female, or malen/femalen. Could a transgender Singer use their ability to shift forms to change their biological reality? And, finally, could a Spren be non-binary, if it wasn't personified in a typical male/female way?

Brandon Sanderson

In the cosmere as a whole, a person's perception of themselves has a lot of power over both their Spiritual and Physical forms. It is possible, with investiture, to change their biology to match Cognitive perceptions--and while this could be easier for some races (like the Singers) it's not outside plausibility for any race.

There are non-binary spren, actually--and you should be meeting one important one quite soon in the books.

source

6 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

(PS.  Has there ever been confirmation that there is more than one Sleepless active in the world at a time?)

From Arclo in Edgedancer, yes. He refers to "the others" focusing on the protagonists listed on the backs of the books, as if he alone among the Sleepless has noticed lift. 

Edited by Calderis

Posted (edited)

I think "they" are the personification of the moons or a moon and don't have a set gender because either they represent multiple moons and people ascribe different genders to the different moons or because moons aren't living things (as far as we know!) and don't have a gender. 

OB Chapter 30 The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spreading toward the sky and becoming branches. Who would have thought to find pagan symbols in the home of the Knights Radiant?

This is similar, but not the same as the painting of the Bondsmith Herald Ishar. It may be showing the Sibling. Ishar and the moon Mishim have variations of the same glyph Ishi in them. There are hints at a connection between the Bondsmiths and the moons. There was also the story Hoid told in OB of how the moon Nomon (the blue one) had a child. 

Image result for Ishar end page

EDIT: BEHOLD THE SIBLING!

Image result for Blue man

Edited by Child of Hodor

Arclo heavily implies that there are other Sleepless out there (they are busy spying on the main cast and ignoring Lift at that point)

Also re the Sibling I got this WoB on Reddit confirming that the Sibling is a non-binary spren who uses "they" pronouns.

UppityDarkeyes

Would you be willing to confirm that the use of 'they' pronouns for the Sibling is because the Sibling is non-binary? Since apparently some people are confused on this point.

Brandon Sanderson

The sibling did not view themselves as male or female. (And considered it odd that so many spren would adopt human genders.)

source