So as we have seen in Elantris (and as was discussed by Raoden) it doesn't matter what an Aon is inscribed in, as long as it is inscribed correctly (Aons in stone walls, mud, etc).

So, would it be possible to create armour consisting of plates inscribed with Aons which provide protection to make said armour stronger? I can't remember the Aon, but in Raoden's fight with Dilaf we see him use one that pushes back against any force equally. If this were applied to a piece of armour, no matter how hard your enemy struck the armour, it would resist with equal force, effectively making it unbreakable (unless you are a Dahkor monk or such that can remove Aons).

Is this plausible? I welcome your thoughts.

According to Coppermind the protection Aon was Aon Edo. While I think the idea definitely works, it probably wouldn't be as simple as carving Edo on the pieces of the armor. Specifically, you'd probably need a bunch of modifiers to allow the wear to still move, as well as shape the force to fit the armor, rather than forming a wall parallel to it. But really, it would probably be easy for someone like Raoden to design if given time to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking a bit more and thought I'd revisit this. 

If one were to make this armour, how effective would it be against a shardblade/awakened blade?

From what we know of the aon, it pushes against any applied force with equal force. So then would a shardblade be able to cut through it? Would it simply push against the shardblade? Would it break under a few hits like a half shard? Perhaps it would be able to effectively stop the shardblade and thus be a potential equal to shardplate in effectiveness. 

Again, I'm not really sure how this would work but I hope one of you do. 

13 minutes ago, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

If one were to make this armour, how effective would it be against a shardblade/awakened blade?

From what we know of the aon, it pushes against any applied force with equal force. So then would a shardblade be able to cut through it? Would it simply push against the shardblade? Would it break under a few hits like a half shard? Perhaps it would be able to effectively stop the shardblade and thus be a potential equal to shardplate in effectiveness. 

That would be a reasonable description of a solid object's behavior, but since it would pure Investiture Id think it should be sufficient to block a shardblade, at least to Half-shard levels.  Since even full shardplate cannot hold up against a Blade indefinitely, Id think they'd still be able to hammer through this eventually, but where it would land between shardplate and half-shards I couldnt say without testing. 

Separately, since Seons are supposed to basically be the Sel equivalent of Spren, I kinda hope to see one attempt their own Nahel bond and manifest a Seon Blade and Plate.

36 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Separately, since Seons are supposed to basically be the Sel equivalent of Spren, I kinda hope to see one attempt their own Nahel bond and manifest a Seon Blade and Plate.

That would be really awesome. And considering the fact that most elantrians have a seon, they would become even more overpowered. 

9 minutes ago, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

That would be really awesome. And considering the fact that most elantrians have a seon, they would become even more overpowered. 

Whats more, the surges are part of Roshar itself the way Metals are natural to Scadrial.  Which means a Selish equivalent would be manifesting entirely different things than the Surges; if instead they are juicing Dor "Reality programming" effects up to Rosharan power levels, that could be just plain cheaty. 

28 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Whats more, the surges are part of Roshar itself the way Metals are natural to Scadrial.  Which means a Selish equivalent would be manifesting entirely different things than the Surges; if instead they are juicing Dor "Reality programming" effects up to Rosharan power levels, that could be just plain cheaty. 

Indeed. If this were to happen, do you think the seons would figure it out themselves or would it take some interactions with some radiants to use them as a model? 

And then even if they do form a similar bond, would it grant them the equivilent of surges or would they simply just use AonDor?

10 minutes ago, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

Indeed. If this were to happen, do you think the seons would figure it out themselves or would it take some interactions with some radiants to use them as a model? 

And then even if they do form a similar bond, would it grant them the equivilent of surges or would they simply just use AonDor?

It could go either way, I think all the groundwork is already there in the case of the Elantrians specifically, who are already Bonding a spren/Seon directly; they might be able to figure out something themselves with the proper motivation, though seeing the Rosharan example would certainly help them along.  I do not think they would manifest the Surges unless they were actually ON Roshar, or were actively trying to mimic them.  I think they'd be manifesting their own Symbol-based Dor Abilities rather than Surges, Ideals, etc. but I fully expect they could make Shardblade equivalents at least as well as Awakening, and likely more so since Seons are a lot closer to Spren than Breaths. 

On 10/26/2018 at 7:35 AM, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

I think this could actually be stronger than dead Shardplate. Few drawbacks though, that it wouldn't give the user super strength. The Aons would probably have to be written all over the inside of the armor so it could be deflected from any angle.

I wonder how the Aon works, though. Would the user get pushed back? Newton's Third Law, equal and opposite force, so does the Aon stop the attack or would it still push you back from the force? So if someone threw like a boulder at you, would it doubly push you back? The force of it hitting your forcefield (that's essentially what we're describing, right?), then rebounding it back? Or does the Dor stop it and rebound it without being attached to the user?

1 minute ago, Naurock said:

I think this could actually be stronger than dead Shardplate. Few drawbacks though, that it wouldn't give the user super strength. The Aons would probably have to be written all over the inside of the armor so it could be deflected from any angle.

I wonder how the Aon works, though. Would the user get pushed back? Newton's Third Law, equal and opposite force, so does the Aon stop the attack or would it still push you back from the force? So if someone threw like a boulder at you, would it doubly push you back? The force of it hitting your forcefield (that's essentially what we're describing, right?), then rebounding it back? Or does the Dor stop it and rebound it without being attached to the user?

I assume the aon automatically outputs energy from the Dor equal to the momentum of the attack. As for the recoil on the part of the forcefield, it probably flows back through the aon into the cognitive realm. 

38 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

I assume the aon automatically outputs energy from the Dor equal to the momentum of the attack. As for the recoil on the part of the forcefield, it probably flows back through the aon into the cognitive realm. 

Just re-read the scene and it doesn't add any extra insight. In the scene where Raoden used it the Aon was drawn in the air to be a wall. It wasn't tied to anything, and Dilaf was able to touch it and destroy it through his magic (Chapter 62).

If we're tying it to a set of armor though I think it could be different. Because if it just absorbs and redirects all kinetic energy the wearer would be pretty much indestructible and only limited by their own strength. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:21 AM, HSuperLee said:

According to Coppermind the protection Aon was Aon Edo. While I think the idea definitely works, it probably wouldn't be as simple as carving Edo on the pieces of the armor. Specifically, you'd probably need a bunch of modifiers to allow the wear to still move, as well as shape the force to fit the armor, rather than forming a wall parallel to it. But really, it would probably be easy for someone like Raoden to design if given time to do so.

True. They would probably have to bend and end terminate the shields so the mold against the armor

On 10/26/2018 at 4:35 AM, The Grumpy Elantrian said:

It should be even more powerful than shardplate. If it rebounds equal force, the harder you hit, the stronger it rebounds, so it shouldn't matter how sharp the shard blade is, even if it's blade is a molecule thick, or even if it sharp enough to carve an electron of an atom. No matter how hard you hit, the aon should hold. The only vulnerability should be if you hit it with an aluminum blade, which wouldn't even be able to cut a strong metal. 

What if you did this to shardplate?

25 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

What if you did this to shardplate?

I think at that point it would take Nightblood or the majority of a Shard to beat you. Side note, since you probably couldn't do that to a Shardblade, what if you took one of the guards and inscribe it with an Aon for enhancement, targeting the Blade. What happens?

This still relies on Aon Edo being able to be made mobile. 

My understanding of that Aon is that it creates a barrier that stops anything, including the person who made it. So you'd need a way for it to flash on and prevent a hit... And then immediately dismiss so that your armor can move. 

I think it would be possible... But not in any way simple. 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, Darth Woodrack said:

Well, actually, you don't need to it to go on and off. You just need to bend the shields to follow the plates of the armor, and you should be fine. Like, they're extra plates.

That's the entire problem. Aon Edo doesn't move. It stops everything. Including Physical motion. Which would include the armor itself. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's the entire problem. Aon Edo doesn't move. It stops everything. Including Physical motion. Which would include the armor itself. 

Yes, but that's if it's just Edo. We've never seen it used with modifiers to see if that can change. Since Aons are like programming, an apt simile would be saying that seeing Edo used on it's own is like seeing a program with only an else statement.