Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

I think it's time to close the door on Glass Skies and just write. There are so many scenes that I need to retool that I would essentially have to start over again to make sure people don't get lost. I'm very thankful for all the feedback and general poking and prodding that lead me to these realizations, and rest assured they won't go to waste.

Setting Glass Skies aside, I will be submitting some short stories for review as soon as I finish them. Just not this week.

I have woven a new Mantle from the fibrous silk of a dark Nestiling spider, which I have imbued with the aura of Temporary Suspension.

Now I don it, and offer that others may use it as necessary.

Man, we're building up quite the reliquary of wondrous items, here. :P

So: Majestic Fox, Robinski, and Mandamon for tomorrow, so far? Please do correct me if I've missed anyone!

Same for me, as usual.  On the plus side, I'm getting close to the end of the story and after that I'll stop submitting for a while.

Next week's entry is a little shorter (2600 words).

Edited by Mandamon

Yeah, it's my Nanowrimo project from 2012. It's 63,000 words or thereby, and in fact is probably ultimately part of a novel. I was going to write 6 shorts set in various places that I've been on holiday in my earlier years and which made an impression on me (Rutland Water; Cambridge; Cornwall; Venice; The Mediterranean and Norfolk).

The breakdown so far is as follows:

1 - To Sail Beyond Sleep (24,600 word novella)

2 - The Tontine Inn by the Shore (17,370 word novelette)

3 - (Cornwall story - 1,170 word outline - so far!)

4 - The Mathematical Bridge (63,858 word novel)

5 - (Venice story - 967 word idea)

6 - (Norfolk story - who knows!)

It may turn out that some of those blanks end up being no more than linking scenes that knit the rest together. I can see the climax being in Venice - amazing place, best visited off-season.

You had to ask... :)

Glad to see the final lineup, Robinski.  If you haven't read Mary Robinette Kowal's Glamourist Histories, the 4th one takes place in Venice and is very enjoyable!

I'm not familiar with MRK's oeuvre other than what I've heard on WE, but I'm sure Venice must be a very popular location for stories. It largely came out of about 300 words that my daughter wrote when we were there, but there's no doubt that it's a strange, magical, even slightly absurd place. I mean who in their right mind would build such as place? The Italians, of course!