Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

I’d like a spot for Monday, but I likely won’t be able to submit till Tuesday if that works. Wild weekend. So I can skip a week if someone needs the slot, too

This is so cool! I’m new here. I read the “how it works” and stuff and hoping to get on board once I’m back from our vacay in June. I’m new to forums too. (A little intimidated, not gonna lie), but I’m plunging forward anyway. See you hopefully in two weeks. Thanks, whoever runs this. 

So even though I did a good job of buckling down to finish my chapter edits as soon as I got home from vacation, Life decided to hit us over the head with a sack of bricks on Wednesday.  So for my own sanity, I am probably going to have to back out of submitting this week. It's close, but it's just not going to be where it needs to be by Monday. 

Sorry to hear that, @C_Vallion. Hang tough!

Hi there, @mishmash55. You are in the right place :). 16 alpha readers!! Whoa, that's a lot. Quick suggestion, you might consider saving some of these until you start subbing here. With the best will in the world, people who love you are less likely to you what they actually think. We have no issues with that, because it's what you need ;)

Also, @kais and @Ace of Hearts for Monday, so far.

Edited by Robinski

On 5/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, mishmash55 said:

This is so cool! I’m new here. I read the “how it works” and stuff and hoping to get on board once I’m back from our vacay in June. I’m new to forums too. (A little intimidated, not gonna lie), but I’m plunging forward anyway. See you hopefully in two weeks. Thanks, whoever runs this. 

I don't know if this actually helps or not, but you're definitely not alone in feeling intimidated at the start. After sending in my first submission I was so nervous I had trouble sleeping. Writing and editing are difficult and personal processes, and it's normal to feel nervous about various aspects of it, especially getting feedback. :) 

On 30/05/2021 at 3:34 PM, mishmash55 said:

Thank you ❤️ I read my manuscript to my family out loud and it needs a lot of help. Discouraging actually, but also glad I did it. You submitted! How did it go? 

That takes some guts. Well done. The critical thing to remember is that the comments you get here, even if the seem harsh, are coming from place of wanting to help, of having gone before you into this sort of arena and opening up to the scrutiny of your peers (in the sense of beginning writers. If you ever feel that comments go too far, or cross over into the personal, don't hesitate too message @Silk, or myself. Given the present crew though, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Editing is hard, recognising and accepting there are faults with what you spent hours and hours creating is hard. Ask questions, ask for clarification if you need it, and don't feel that you can't ask for support. That is kind of what this is after all, a big old support group for folks trying to do the same thing, tell the story they want to the best way they can.

Edited by Robinski

13 hours ago, mishmash55 said:

Thank you ❤️ I read my manuscript to my family out loud and it needs a lot of help. Discouraging actually, but also glad I did it. You submitted! How did it go? 

Not going to lie the feedback was a lot to take in at first but I'm glad I did it. The first step is always the hardest one. :) I can't speak for others but what's been most helpful for me is to be confident (but not overconfident, of course). When I have no confidence at all it's easy to feel overwhelmed and give up, but when I think "okay there's a lot of stuff here that needs improvement based on comments but there's also a lot of cool stuff that can shine when I get those fixed up," it's a bit easier for me to edit.

Still working on my mentality, though. Never-ending cycle. :) 

Another thing to consider is to go in knowing that there will be stuff that is 'wrong', or not working, or inconsistent. This is not meant to be defeatist, but no one writes a good first draft. I think Brandon says that he generally writes three drafts, if I remember correctly, and that is someone at the top of his game, very experienced, and very talented to begin with.

Judging what feedback to take is another tricky thing, but to some extent can be dealt with logically. If ten people read your stuff and nine mention pacing (for example), then pacing would pretty much certainly be an issue, but if only one person mention pacing then maybe just need to set that comment aside and stick to your guns. However, if only one person mentions something, but you agree with the comment then change it by all means, because it's your work, and needs to work for you.