Silk

Email List and Submission Dates

3,022 posts in this topic

I was thinking of maybe asking for a slot for this impromptu short I started last night. It would be well under the word limit and just to get a sense of if the voice and character are working. I haven't figured out the plot yet. At the most I think I'll have maybe 2500 words. Probably less.

45 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Hi, I know this is last minute, but could I have a slot for monday? or are we taking a break for the holdiays? 

We don't typically take a formal break for the holidays, although things naturally tend to be a bit slower. Looks like we have @shatteredsmooth and @ginger_reckoning for Monday.

37 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

@Silk is it too late to nab a slot for tomorrow?

Nope, all good :)

I'd like a slot for next Monday, please. Going to try a new start to the book. If there aren't too many subs, I'd love a double slot. The new prologue is...long and I think better read as a whole chunk.

Edited by kais

May I please have a slot for Monday, December 28th?

Hi, I'd like a slot for monday, but only after any new people are considered. We've gotten a lot of new people, and if they want to submit, please do them first :) (but if not, I'd like a slot) 

If there's room for Monday, I'd like to submit as well. I've got a short prologue (~2000 words) that I want to submit.

So it looks like we have @aeromancer, @ginger_reckoning, @Snakenaps, and @kais for tomorrow. @kais it looks like we just have room for the double-slot, so we are full for tomorrow!

For our new members - this isn't something we do often, usually only when someone has an external deadline or very occasionally when someone has something that it really doesn't make sense to split.

May I have a slot for this Monday for my prologue?  It's weighing in at 5,085 words at the moment, which hurts my rule-stickler brain, especially for a first submission, but I figured I'd check. 
Average wordcount for my other chapters is 3600 according to my handy-dandy spreadsheet, in case that makes it a little less concerning.

10 hours ago, C_Vallion said:

May I have a slot for this Monday for my prologue?  It's weighing in at 5,085 words at the moment, which hurts my rule-stickler brain, especially for a first submission, but I figured I'd check. 
Average wordcount for my other chapters is 3600 according to my handy-dandy spreadsheet, in case that makes it a little less concerning.

You're fine at that level: it's only +1.7%. As a rule of thumb, I tend to ask the question at about +5% (250 words). Below that, it's barely worth thinking about, IMO.

When I was in school/uni, I'm pretty sure the benchmark for essay word counts was +/-10%. That's a different sort of thing though, and both are different again from publishing / submission guidelines, of course.

Awesome. Thanks for the information! 

May I have a slot for Monday, January 4th please?

Since only two people have asked for slots so far. May I have a slot? If it all fills up I can back out as there is no rush for me. I’ll do some final edits today but it would be for a 1–2K short piece.

I was hoping for a slot this week coming up. I need to kick start the year with some fresh eyes on what I've been working on. 

Question: I send my email to the group address this morning but haven’t gotten it in my email yet- 3 hours later. I haven’t gotten a failure to deliver notice either. Do I get a copy of the email in my inbox or am I just being impatient?

20 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Question: I send my email to the group address this morning but haven’t gotten it in my email yet- 3 hours later. I haven’t gotten a failure to deliver notice either. Do I get a copy of the email in my inbox or am I just being impatient?

I got yours too.

We don't get a confirmation or copy of the email. 

Thanks, you two.

4 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

We don't get a confirmation or copy of the email. 

Hmm, I always get my own email back again th-2.jpeg.7d17d91375c3ccb4f5f3f064e8aeedd7.jpeg

20 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hmm, I always get my own email back again th-2.jpeg.7d17d91375c3ccb4f5f3f064e8aeedd7.jpeg

I think that's because you actually have two emails on the list...

@Valerie I got yours as well - I can confirm that I got all the subs this week if anyone else is wondering.

2 hours ago, Silk said:

I think that's because you actually have two emails on the list...

This is not because I have a split personality and like to critique my own stuff :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

This is not because I have a split personality and like to critique my own stuff 

Where I come from, we call that "editing" :-) 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Where I come from, we call that "editing" :-) 

Hah, well, I go waaaay easier on myself editing than I do critiquing you lot ;):lol: 

[Edit: I don't, actually.]

Edited by Robinski