Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

17 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

could i tentativtel y have a slot for monday?

...and if I did would it be okay if I did a little sequence breaking? 

I'm okay with it.

I haven't read the other stuff you submitted because I had to take a break from the forum (but i'm back now), so it will seem out of order to me no mater what. 

Also, if you have an updated version of the early chapters you subbed, I'd be happy to read them at some point this month. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

Also, if you have an updated version of the early chapters you subbed, I'd be happy to read them at some point this month. 

Oh, awesome! I'm actually still updating some of them (working on a pretty massive overhaul rn) but I will pm you the 6 or so chapters that I've subbed some time soon

6 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Oh, awesome! I'm actually still updating some of them (working on a pretty massive overhaul rn) but I will pm you the 6 or so chapters that I've subbed some time soon

Sounds good! 

Take your time! I'll have more time to read at the end of the month anyway.

I was thinking of maybe asking for a slot for this impromptu short I started last night. It would be well under the word limit and just to get a sense of if the voice and character are working. I haven't figured out the plot yet. At the most I think I'll have maybe 2500 words. Probably less.

45 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Hi, I know this is last minute, but could I have a slot for monday? or are we taking a break for the holdiays? 

We don't typically take a formal break for the holidays, although things naturally tend to be a bit slower. Looks like we have @shatteredsmooth and @ginger_reckoning for Monday.

I'd like a slot for next Monday, please. Going to try a new start to the book. If there aren't too many subs, I'd love a double slot. The new prologue is...long and I think better read as a whole chunk.

Edited by kais

So it looks like we have @aeromancer, @ginger_reckoning, @Snakenaps, and @kais for tomorrow. @kais it looks like we just have room for the double-slot, so we are full for tomorrow!

For our new members - this isn't something we do often, usually only when someone has an external deadline or very occasionally when someone has something that it really doesn't make sense to split.

May I have a slot for this Monday for my prologue?  It's weighing in at 5,085 words at the moment, which hurts my rule-stickler brain, especially for a first submission, but I figured I'd check. 
Average wordcount for my other chapters is 3600 according to my handy-dandy spreadsheet, in case that makes it a little less concerning.

10 hours ago, C_Vallion said:

May I have a slot for this Monday for my prologue?  It's weighing in at 5,085 words at the moment, which hurts my rule-stickler brain, especially for a first submission, but I figured I'd check. 
Average wordcount for my other chapters is 3600 according to my handy-dandy spreadsheet, in case that makes it a little less concerning.

You're fine at that level: it's only +1.7%. As a rule of thumb, I tend to ask the question at about +5% (250 words). Below that, it's barely worth thinking about, IMO.

When I was in school/uni, I'm pretty sure the benchmark for essay word counts was +/-10%. That's a different sort of thing though, and both are different again from publishing / submission guidelines, of course.