Silk

Email List and Submission Dates

2,817 posts in this topic

I think I will be ready for my first submission on the 19th. I am still working out a couple of kinks, but it should be ready by then. 

May I have a spot for the 19th as well?

If there's room, I would like a slot for the 19th  as well.

Looks we have @sniperfrog, @ginger_reckoning and @Sarah B  up for tomorrow.

Quick reminder as we have a number of folks who've joined recently to keep your submissions to the upper limit of 5k. This will be especially important as it looks like we're heading into another busy period; critiques suffer when the volume becomes overwhelming!

...what Silk said.

As is typical with hard word count limits, you'll see there is some discretion to go say 10% over without anyone giving it much of a second thought*.

If you absolutely have to go longer, good form is to ask if anyone would mind reading a longer submission in a given week, and to try to avoid doing it on a regular basis.

:) 

(* Does not apply to publisher submissions!!!)

May I have a slot for monday the 26th? (Just fyi I will be taking a break for Nanowrimo after that) 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, ginger_reckoning said:

May I have a slot for monday the 26th? (Just fyi I will be taking a break for Nanowrimo after that) 

You may!

Any other takers for tomorrow?

16 hours ago, Silk said:

You may!

Any other takers for tomorrow?

I'm going to take an extra week to hopefully do some revisions and redrafting :-) next week for sure though!

Started a new job last week. I have been busy with the transition, so I haven't had a lot of time for writing. Hopefully next week maybe.

5 hours ago, sniperfrog said:

Started a new job last week. I have been busy with the transition, so I haven't had a lot of time for writing. Hopefully next week maybe.

Congrats on the new job! Hope it's not too stressful. 

Edited by ginger_reckoning

Good luck with the new job, @sniperfrog. Hope it goes well :) 

And good luck with NaNoWriMo, @ginger_reckoning. But of course luck has nothing to do with it, just write 1,667 words a day: no problem :D

Glad you're subbing again, @Sarah B, I'm really enjoying your story.

Was it you who said it was your first time looking at it? Anyway, for anyone who's listening, free advice: (1) get out in front early, you'll really appreciate having a handful of thousand words in the bank for those days you just can't do it; (2) Be ready to start on the first day. Don't start planning on the first day, unless you are going to write character background, and count world building narrative towards your word count, which, I think is reasonable if it's proper narrative that adds to the story, even if it's not going to end up in the finished work.

I stopped doing NaNo in 2017 because it wasn't really working for me anymore, but it's a powerful tool to get you moving, a powerful tool for building the writing habit. I still use it as a motivation to me today. Pretty much the first thing I think about every day is writing. (I don't get to show these off much, humour me, will you? :rolleyes:)

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.4e3a57627da7d3abc25801b010677853.JPG

Edited by Robinski

11 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Congrats on the new job! Hope it's not too stressful. 

10 hours ago, Silk said:

Congrats @sniperfrog!

20 minutes ago, Robinski said:

Good luck with the new job, @sniperfrog. Hope it goes well :) 

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.4e3a57627da7d3abc25801b010677853.JPG

Thanks guys! It has been pretty sweet so far. Only four days a week and I get to work with all my friends. 

@Robinski What a legend. That is amazing. I can see why it has lost its appeal for you.

22 minutes ago, Robinski said:

I stopped doing NaNo in 2017 because it wasn't really working for me anymore, but it's a powerful tool to get you moving, a powerful tool for building the writing habit. I still use it as a motivation to me today. Pretty much the first thing I think about every day is writing. (I don't get to show these off much, humour me, will you? :rolleyes:)

And you stopping has nothing to do with the fact you ran out of space on that wall.

28 minutes ago, sniperfrog said:

I can see why it has lost its appeal for you.

Yeah. I totally formed the writing habit, but I got to a point where I felt is was just writing for the sake of getting words down, and I could do better first drafts but writing 500 decent words a day, than 1,667 at a canter. The good thing is of course, that sometimes when you sit down to write 500 words, you write 2,000. Okay, sometimes you only write 150, but as long as you open the document every day and write a sentence, you are making progress.

28 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

And you stopping has nothing to do with the fact you ran out of space on that wall.

:lol: I've got more walls, but they're kinda occupied...

IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.1615bb43056109b36f844fb507f6f160.JPG  IMG_0487.thumb.JPG.9e53998083f2dbf050382cffb1dc9f4a.JPG  IMG_0488.thumb.JPG.e162d81d120905a777f939eefcc5cc61.JPG

@Robinski

Thanks!

That is awesome, you are a real Nano veteran! 

This will be my second year. I capped out at 30,000 words last year, and so I'm hoping for my first win this year. 

I think Nanowromo was exactly what I needed last year to go from plot bunny farming to having something finnished. Or at least drafted.

Editing.... is going to take me some more practice.  :-)

Btw, I'm betting movie night at your house is epic!

Edited by Sarah B

5 minutes ago, Sarah B said:

This will be my second year. I capped out at 30,000 words last year, and so I'm hoping for my first win this year. 

That's good. It always helped me that I am suuuuuper competitive in basically everyithing, especially with myself.

6 minutes ago, Sarah B said:

Editing.... is going to take me some more practice.  :-)

Yeah. I mean, similar approach could be used. One of those years, I re-wrote the novel I wrote in a previous year.

7 minutes ago, Sarah B said:

Btw, I'm betting movie night at your house is epic!

Ach, most of the time now we are streaming, but at the weekend our local internet gets slow/crashy and we wheel out the DVDs. Presently, we are streaming BBC's Spooks (10 seasons, available on iPlayer), and topping off the evening by re-watching Frasier on DVD, interspersed with a rewatch of Magnum: PI (also DVD).

(Sorry, @Silk, I know this is Lounge fodder. My bad :unsure:.)