Silk

Email List and Submission Dates

2,733 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sarah B said:

I'm not sure if this is permissible or not but I would like to submit a writing exercise from the WE podcast. The exercise was to write a first chapter for a hypothetical book while trying to suggest the kind of book it will/would be. Then the assignment was to ask Alpha readers what they would expect from the book based on the chapter.  

I re-read the guidelines and didn't see writing exercises mentioned either way so I thought I would ask. 

If not, no worries!

If so, June 1st or later is fine. I'm in no hurry :-)

I personally would be down for it. I personally have never done any of the prompts (I should change that) but I'd be very curious to see how you tackled one. 

I'm slowly catching up...I'm on WE 7.13. 

52 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

I personally have never done any of the prompts (I should change that) but I'd be very curious to see how you tackled one. 

I'm slowly catching up...I'm on WE 7.13.

It took me several years to listen through all twelve / thirteen seasons (as it was by the time I got caught up, I think there were only 8 or 9 the I started listening). I really love being caught up thought, and listening weekly. I have learned so much. I have a binder with all my notes, although I've only printed out up to Season 12 presently. I used to do all the prompts religiously, but actually it got that I didn't have time, because of writing, which is kind of the point, of course. I started doing only the ones that interested me, now I don't do them at all.

I guess this chat should be over the WE thread! It's weird how it's so quiet over there, I always think. Very little crossover between the two threads. Anyway, it's really interesting how the dynamics have changed at WE. The introduction of MRK was what really put the podcast on the map, IMO, and it is sooooo much more inclusive now, and diverse. The thing I slightly regret is how Brandon's input is actually fairly light nowadays, but there are always his lectures on YooToob.

2 hours ago, Robinski said:

A chapter is a chapter, IMO, doesn't matter where it comes from, or the background to it. One of the novels I put through here a couple of years back came out of a writing prompt from WE, which was to write the same dead drop scene with three different characters. From the exercise came the first Q and M novel, TMM. I used the same characters to write the various prompts from WE Season 10, the first 17 episode/prompts, in fact, before going on from there to write the novel.

So, yes, please do submit. I look forward to reading it :) 

I agree. A chapter is a chapter. I did the dead-drop scene too, and have an entire book waiting to be written off of it. So yes, please submit. I can drop back to one chapter for this coming week.

13 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I agree. A chapter is a chapter. I did the dead-drop scene too, and have an entire book waiting to be written off of it. So yes, please submit. I can drop back to one chapter for this coming week.

No need! I really appriciate the offer but you have a deadline and I don't :-).

I've been working on a novel as my main project which is still in it's first draft and nowhere near ready for other eyes. This is just a short break/ side project to help get me through the middle slog.

Your book is getting ready for the world! Don't let me hold you up.

6 hours ago, Sarah B said:

No need! I really appriciate the offer but you have a deadline and I don't :-).

I've been working on a novel as my main project which is still in it's first draft and nowhere near ready for other eyes. This is just a short break/ side project to help get me through the middle slog.

Your book is getting ready for the world! Don't let me hold you up.

@Sarah B - are you sure? I would definitely appreciate it, and I promise I'll stop hogging the forum in a few weeks.

If you want to send me the submission separately next week I'll be happy to critique it for you. At least then you can get one pair of eyes on it.

So it looks to me like we have five slots, with @shatteredsmooth, @kais, @Mandamon (x2) and @Snakenaps submitting, and @Sarah B up for next week, is that right?

I haven't been listening to the writing excuses podcast in ages - I forget when I stopped exactly but it's been several years. I should really start again.

1 hour ago, Mandamon said:

@Sarah B - are you sure? I would definitely appreciate it, and I promise I'll stop hogging the forum in a few weeks.

If you want to send me the submission separately next week I'll be happy to critique it for you. At least then you can get one pair of eyes on it.

No worries, I'm sure! Besides, everyone is in suspense to see how your story ends.

I can use the extra week to fix some issues and format mine into acceptability. Looking forward to seeing your chapters!

11 minutes ago, Sarah B said:

No worries, I'm sure! Besides, everyone is in suspense to see how your story ends.

I can use the extra week to fix some issues and format mine into acceptability. Looking forward to seeing your chapters!

Aww. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Hi! Just putting my hat in to submit a chapter this week, June 1st, if there's room.

Edited by Sarah B

I'd like to submit as well, please. I have an introduction of 1000 odd words and a first chapter. Should I submit only one or both?

I have another chapter ready that I could submit June 1, but if we end up with six people wanting to submit, then I will wait until June 8. 

I know @Mandamon has a deadline and @kais might too whereas I do not, and taking an extra week to catch up on the feedback I've already received wouldn't hurt. 

1 hour ago, TheDwarfyOne said:

I'd like to submit as well, please. I have an introduction of 1000 odd words and a first chapter. Should I submit only one or both?

If you're submitting ( @Silk will approve the final list), you can go up to 5,000 words, per the guidelines. There is a little flex in that (maybe 10%, and it's 'the decent thing' to ask folks if they are okay with that before subbing).

Well, we'll see what happens for Monday 06/01. The next two chapters I have to submit are Ch 21: (currently 3727 words) and Ch 22: (currently 6764 words), depending on space.

If we end up with an over-full roster, I won't take a spot this week. I want to make sure @Mandamon gets a spot, considering he has a deadline and I definitely don't.

So if we have an open spot on July 1st, I'd happily take it, but I don't expect it. 

I had a book release this week and haven't even gotten to revisions yet from this last one with all the promo stuff. So while I'd like to sub this week, I'm fine passing, too.

13 hours ago, kais said:

had a book release this week

Woop, woop - congratulations! :)  Non-fiction?

I'm just going to drop out this week and submit on June 8 instead of June 1. 

I still need to look over my chapter 1 more time before I send it, but I'm rewriting my last couple of chapters to account for changes I made earlier. I'd rather just finish this past on the last chapters before I do my final pass on 6 before submitting. 

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

Woop, woop - congratulations! :)  Non-fiction?

Yup! My primer on wood in the home! fancy hardback binding and great photos. Schiffer always does a great job with full color nonfiction books! If anyone is curious, the book is here.

29 minutes ago, kais said:

Yup! My primer on wood in the home! fancy hardback binding and great photos. Schiffer always does a great job with full color nonfiction books! If anyone is curious, the book is here.

Yay! Congrats!

You're all so accommodating that I'm having trouble keeping track of who's volunteering to bow out in favour of whom! Thanks, everyone. Let's go with:

@Sarah B, @TheDwarfyOne, @Mandamon (for two slots, in consideration of the deadline) and @kais.

@shatteredsmooth and @Snakenaps, I saw you two speak up first about potentially bowing out this week so I'll take you up on that and put you on for next week (if you still want it). That good?

1 hour ago, Silk said:

@shatteredsmooth and @Snakenaps, I saw you two speak up first about potentially bowing out this week so I'll take you up on that and put you on for next week (if you still want it). That good?

Yup. I'd like to go next week, June 8. 

2 hours ago, Silk said:

@shatteredsmooth and @Snakenaps, I saw you two speak up first about potentially bowing out this week so I'll take you up on that and put you on for next week (if you still want it). That good

Yup, sounds good to me! 

If there's a slot available next Monday, I'd like to submit. If there isn't one, or if there's a crowd, I'm fine backing out - I'm not in any particular rush for this submission.

If anyone's curious, this is going to be another short story, featuring Tempter (and his human sidekick Z that no one cares about). The first story is being rewritten, but since abut 80% of the edits are focused towards the back end of the draft, I didn't feel like resubmitting basically the same first two parts, and only then springing out the rewritten third part. Similarly, just submitting the rewritten third part would have it's own problem. On the other hand, a new story will have three fresh new sections, all ripe for feedback, in my opinion, a much better value. (That said, I do estimate there's a ~10% chance that it'll never reach the third submissions for, shall we say, reasons.*) Now featuring 100% less dead witches, very minor mystery elements, and some heavy and dark themes deserved of the low fantasy setting.

*It's not something that I'm trying to make happen, but seeing as I want to try working in dark themes, if the general consensus of the community is that I'm doing it badly, then it's back to the drawing board.

1 hour ago, aeromancer said:

Now featuring 100% less dead witches,

This made me giggle.

5 hours ago, kais said:
6 hours ago, aeromancer said:

Now featuring 100% less dead witches,

This made me giggle.

I'd just like to clarify my intentions here. It's not '100%-less dead-witches', as in there will be a lack of dead witches and that lack will be equally proportionate to the number of dead witches from the first submission; I mean '100%-less-dead witches' as in the witches that are present will be 100% less dead than the witches in the first submission. The difference between the two is mostly a matter of semantics, but I do think it's important to avoid miscommunication when at all possible.