Cosmere Endgame Predictions

goody153

Title . 

I bet this ends something similar to the The Last Question by Isaac Asimov(not necessarily the same but similar a sort of reset).

What are yours ? ( it could be the Reformation of adonalsium or whatever)

(Let's find out who made the right call when it finally comes) 

Edited by goody153

Actually, I don't want to be right. I want to be surprised ;)

But this is what I could imagine (wild speculation of course):
I think the SA will end a bit like The Wayfarer Redeption Series by Sara Douglass. The world will be destroyed or at least almost not inhabitable anymore and a part can flee.
Afterwards (Endgame Cosmere), some team up with the inhabitants of other planets and in the end find a new place to live. In this process investiture as it was, will be changed completely.

Some explanation:
SA can't solve all problems, or we wouldn't need MB era 4. From the set up atm, I feel like it won't have a classical happy ending. I think it will be more a "happy ending" looking at "hey, at least they were able to get away/ preserve some of their culture". I hold it possible, that the signers stay behind and manage to push humans our. I have no real reasons for that, like I wrote above it's wild speculation, based on gut feeling. But it would put a lot of pressure on the survivors, make it really exciting for the readers and it would show clearly how dangerous the fight truly is.
I don't think they will reform Adonalsium, but I think more shards are likely to be shattered. During that process they will change at least a part of investiture fundamentally. I can also imagine, that they will try to recreate something like Adonalsium, but fail and create a different being. Apart from that I do expect that at least someone survives and that we something resembling peace at the end. I think first of the Sun will play a vital role to decide the final battle.

I don't think Adonalsium will be reformed, and I don't think one of the Shards will be the final threat to the Cosmere either. I think power hungry organisations like the Ire, Ghostbloods or a faction of the Ones Above will be the source of conflict in later books. I've also got my eyes on Bavadin, she'll definitely have her part to play, but I don't think there will be one big bad super shard with some evil plan. 

I think it will end similarly to the first GotG movie. 

Spoiler

Dance-off over the fate of Hoid's lost flute. 

Hoid, his protagonist space crew companions from MB era 4, and the  Nightwatcher (I am Nightwatcher!)

Vs.

Mraize and a shaky alliance with the remaining members of the 17th Shard

:mellow:

Edited by Solant
Totally didn't mean to hide the punch line behind a spoiler

Vasher will awaken a cupcake.  Lift will eat said cupcake.  Lift will become Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift with Nightblood.

Odium flees in terror.  The remaining Cosmere books are Odium trying to recruit other shards instead of destroying them.

Oh and Kelsier Ascends by picking up another shard, becoming protagonist of the Cosmere.

Him, Lift, Kandra Wayne and Hoid go on many grand adventures and live happily ever after.

Kelsier, Dalinar, Raoden, Vasher, and probably a few others all wind up with Shards.  Dalinar winds up the new Honor (or Unity, or whatever), Kelsier winds up as the "survivor" shard,  Raoden winds up collecting both Dominion and Devotion, and Vasher winds up collecting a shard that makes sure he stays crotchety and old.  

I dont have any really strong theories on the final shape of things, other than a general doubt that we;'ll still see Hoid as the Good Guy when it's all over.  I also doubt that Odium/Rayse will be the big bad of things, I suspect he's a shill and patsy for Autonomy and likely shards we havent met.

I do think that the two biggest Chekhov's Guns are 1)Nightblood and 2)The fact that the Metallic Arts that Leras and Ati created can (uniquely in the cosmere?) Invest Aluminum. 

33 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

That's a really good point actually.

I dont have any idea what it will amount to, but the more I see and read about Aluminum's role as THE magically Inert material of the Cosmere, the bigger that Metallic Arts asterisk seems to get.

48 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I dont have any idea what it will amount to, but the more I see and read about Aluminum's role as THE magically Inert material of the Cosmere, the bigger that Metallic Arts asterisk seems to get.

While I would very much like to believe this, I find it to be an inconsistency on Brandon's part that exists because he didn't have the team that he does now holding him to his own rules. 

See Shardblade Guards. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

You know the sparring guards, for the Shardblade training, the guards they put on the Shardblades. Are they made of aluminum?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, they are not. Peter will not let me make them made out of aluminum. He's my continuity editor, he keeps me honest. I tried to get them to be aluminum, but there are reasons why they can't be. So we had to make them their own weird little thing, unfortunately. But you could make a sheath out of aluminum for a Shardblade that would work.

He keeps me honest, so it's good, but I did try to fit them in that way.

source

Edit: the guards literally change shape to fit a blade. Thank you Peter. 

Edited by Calderis

11 minutes ago, Calderis said:

While I would very much like to believe this, I find it to be an inconsistency on Brandon's part that exists because he didn't have the team that he does now holding him to his own rules. 

See Shardblade Guards. 

Edit: the guards literally change shape to fit a blade. Thank you Peter. 

You might be right, but Im not sure that would make as much sense from a timeline persepective.  As far as I understand it he was making the aluminum decisions more or less concurrently.  By that I mean he was designing the metallic arts overall, seeding hemalurgy in particular as a cosmere-wide mechanism, and deciding he wanted Aluminum as the Inert material that starts rare and becomes common via advanced industry all at the same time (correct?).

On 10/2/2018 at 0:55 AM, Leyrann said:

I think we're going to find ourselves breaking down because we don't know who too root for anymore as we'll be finding the surviving former protagonists fighting each other.

I think that this is less likely to be true on the whole, even though I would expect there to be more representatives of it than just Moash.  iirc, Sanderson has said that stories where there are no real heroes are not ones that he is interested in writing; everything he has written so far would seem to align with this so far, at least.  SA will certainly continue to play with how different moralities can cause people to feel that they are in the right and working for the same goal, even if they are in direct odds with how to achieve it.  I would still expect there to be mostly sympathetic characters acting in traditionally heroic ways that get the vast majority of pagetime.  While there would still be conflict over which characters the readers like best, I think that the question of who is in the right and who is wrong will continue to be one of lesser importance.  (For instance, there's been great debate about Szeth and Mr T compared to other characters, but from what I have seen that is usually from the viewpoint that what they did is monstrous, but perhaps necessary for survival.  I would not expect to see Kaladin or Shallan or modern-day Dalinar in that same light.)

As for my thoughts on how the Cosmere arc ends, I think that it would have to directly deal with Adonalsium's Shattering in some way.  After all, that event created ripples that caused every major event in the Cosmere, which caused every slightly less major event, etc.  Whether this means that Adonalsium is re-formed, or the Shards come together in some new manner, or all Investiture gets spread evenly throughout the Cosmere is really impossible to predict.  But the thing that started everything will be one of the core strands that wraps everything up, too.

In a smaller way, I see this being played out with the Recreance in the SA series.  The state Roshar is in is largely as a result of the Recreance.  Resolving the major issues facing the planet will require greater exploration and resolution of what caused the Recreance to begin with.  Even if it's just people slowly losing faith (as suggested in Oathbreaker), then the struggle will be to give people something to hold faith in when all hope is gone.  That strong central cause will have to be resolved in some way for a satisfying ending to the sequence.

Spoilers for Wheel of Time which help explain what I mean a bit more

In WoT, the central cause for everything is the Dark One being released from His prison.  Rand considers ending the Dark One forever, and that is his plan for a time--but he decides not to.  The Dark One represents choice and freedom for people, even if He is an evil presence that touches everything.  Even though Rand decides to seal the Dark One away, the same as has been done countless times before and not actually changing anything, the reasoning and process for making that decision is still there.  Even though this thread is not dealt with in a significant manner for the series, we do see it more and more near the end. 

I would expect this to become retroactively clear to us that Hoid's quest is to deal with/contain/fix/resolve what happened when Adonalsium Shattered.

And they all lived happily ever after.

The End

...but really, I hope there isn't a  "The world almost ended, but gets reborn" thing, because we kinda already had that once at the end of MB 1.  Epic as it was, I think that card's been played.

I do hope, in some form or another (possibly as a post-mortem letter?), it ends with an epilogue from Hoid. 

1 hour ago, Subvisual Haze said:

A bunch of weird 4th wall breaking inter-dimensional crossovers happen and Brandon writes himself into the narrative.  At the end of the final book we find ourselves back in Chapter 1 of Elantris, however now Raoden is carrying Nightblood for no adequately explained reason.

Brandon has to start writing under a pen-name to prove his detractors wrong before he can do that though. 

5 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I can't quite follow your line of thought here.

(and yes I do realize I ask you to explain the joke here)

Sub's post was riffing on the end of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. 

Stephen King had a bunch of critics earlier in his career that basically said he couldn't write at all and was just selling books by name recognition. The publishers also told him that the public wouldn't accept more than a book a year. So to write more without oversaturating the market, and to see if his books actually sold in their own right, he put out books under the name Richard Bachman with as little publicity as possible, some of them literally going straight to bookstore bargain bins. 

In his introduction to The Bachman Books,King states that adopting the nom de plumeBachman was also an attempt to make sense out of his career and try to answer the question of whether his success was due to talent or luck. He says he deliberately released the Bachman novels with as little marketing presence as possible and did his best to "load the dice against" Bachman. King concludes that he has yet to find an answer to the "talent versus luck" question, as he felt he was outed as Bachman too early to know. The Bachman book Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies during its initial run—and then ten times as many when it was revealed that Bachman was, in fact, King.

So there is all the relevant info to kill the joke. :P

On 10/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

A bunch of weird 4th wall breaking inter-dimensional crossovers happen and Brandon writes himself into the narrative.  At the end of the final book we find ourselves back in Chapter 1 of Elantris, however now Raoden is carrying Nightblood for no adequately explained reason.

I'd read it.

....that means nothing, though.  If Brandon wrote it, I'll read it.

I think the 17th Shard is as powerful as a Shard. That's why it's called "the 17th Shard." Not because of what it is as such but because of how powerful it is. So, I think they have a goal, or a mandate better put, which might be something like, "Prevent Adonalsium from being reforged," or, "Prevent a Vessel from picking up too many Shards," or whatever. (I can't remember if the 17th Shard seems to favor following Adonalsium's elder plan or if that was Frost or who knows what, but even if it was the 17th Shard, it could be that Adonalsium favored being Shattered so the 17th Shard is trying to follow Adonalsium by preventing a reforging scenario.) Whatever the policy is, events in MBE4 will threaten to violate said policy to some "unforgivable" degree, and the 17th Shard will threaten to destroy the entire Cosmere to prevent this violation from taking place. (I'm thinking of something like the Osterhagen key scenario in Dr. Who, when they were gonna blow up the Earth to prevent some Dalek super-plan from being executed.)

8 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

I think the 17th Shard is as powerful as a Shard. That's why it's called "the 17th Shard." Not because of what it is as such but because of how powerful it is. So, I think they have a goal, or a mandate better put, which might be something like, "Prevent Adonalsium from being reforged," or, "Prevent a Vessel from picking up too many Shards," or whatever. (I can't remember if the 17th Shard seems to favor following Adonalsium's elder plan or if that was Frost or who knows what, but even if it was the 17th Shard, it could be that Adonalsium favored being Shattered so the 17th Shard is trying to follow Adonalsium by preventing a reforging scenario.) Whatever the policy is, events in MBE4 will threaten to violate said policy to some "unforgivable" degree, and the 17th Shard will threaten to destroy the entire Cosmere to prevent this violation from taking place. (I'm thinking of something like the Osterhagen key scenario in Dr. Who, when they were gonna blow up the Earth to prevent some Dalek super-plan from being executed.)

Uhm, the in-world 17thshard is actually named after us, implying the name may have been taken simply because it sounds good (because let's be real, it does). And haven't they been founded by Khriss?

Edited by Leyrann

8 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Uhm, the in-world 17thshard is actually named after us, implying the name may have been taken simply because it sounds good (because let's be real, it does). And haven't they been founded by Khriss?

We were actually named after them. Brandon was asked what a good name for a fansite would be and he offered it up. We didn't know what it was yet... But they were already in Brandon's head. 

As far as Khriss and the 17th Shard, I don't think so. The only clear association is between her and Silverlight.