So, I was just wondering, does anyone know if/when the next Q&A with Brandon Sanderson on these 17th Shard forums will be? I know there was the one a while ago, but I have more questions and I'm not really in a place he comes to...

I personally was hoping there'd be one during the WoR tour for us, but I guess not...

So, has anyone heard anything?

There is a Q&A on google hangouts with Sanderson and Brian McClellan on May 1st. You can access it via internet, so it's cool. Brian McClellan writes the new and amazing Powder Mage series, with some neat magic systems, so it's a twofer.

There is a Q&A on google hangouts with Sanderson and Brian McClellan on May 1st. You can access it via internet, so it's cool. Brian McClellan writes the new and amazing Powder Mage series, with some neat magic systems, so it's a twofer.

I considered crashing that, but it doesn't really feel right when I don't know the first thing about Brian McClellan. From youtube-videos of events like that, I gather that Brandon usually always gets most of the attention and questions in such situations, so it would be rather rude to come there just for Brandon.

I'll ask Brandon if he's willing to do one sometime soon, now that WoR is out.

That would be amazing! How would it work though, if he did another one? Everyone are entitled to two questions? Or do we just throw questions at him and he responds to what he feels like answering?

That would be arranged by his staff and ours. We've seen an increase in numbers of late, and he might limit it to one question a person. I really can't say though, but I'll definitely ask the next time I see him.

I mentioned another Q&A when they were announced his WoR tour and was flat out denied by Peter, hahaha. That was a little greedy, but after he has a bit of a break they'd probably consider it. Maybe we start something like that by collecting our thoughts like Reddit does in preparation for AMA's. Vote for the best 30 questions or something so we don't overwhelm him or repeat ourselves. We have that HUGE list of questions, maybe we all list our top 3 and those get whittled down by the rest of the community? You can't put a poll in a comment, can you?

The Ultimate List is hopelessly hard to navigate, and as far as I know, no one has tried to filter out all the ones that have been answered. A new attempt at cataloguing all unanswered (and relevant) questions would be welcome.

The Ultimate List is hopelessly hard to navigate, and as far as I know, no one has tried to filter out all the ones that have been answered. A new attempt at cataloguing all unanswered (and relevant) questions would be welcome.

Windy updated the OP with a revised list on March 6, 2014.

That would be arranged by his staff and ours. We've seen an increase in numbers of late, and he might limit it to one question a person. I really can't say though, but I'll definitely ask the next time I see him.

One question per person seems like a smart limitation. He'd be here all day if it was any more.

The only issue I can see is that people might create multiple accounts for multiple questions, but most 17th Sharders tend to be rather good on not doing that sort of thing.

Wouldn't we all.

That would be amazing! How would it work though, if he did another one? Everyone are entitled to two questions? Or do we just throw questions at him and he responds to what he feels like answering?

Last time it happened we all just posted a list of questions (1 post per person with as many questions as we had, open for one day or so). Then the thread was closed and he answered.

More than one question per person if its your choice, please! I have like a whole page... One at a time, one per two years, would take a long time. Especially if I keep coming up with them at even half my current rate.

I mentioned another Q&A when they were announced his WoR tour and was flat out denied by Peter, hahaha. That was a little greedy, but after he has a bit of a break they'd probably consider it. Maybe we start something like that by collecting our thoughts like Reddit does in preparation for AMA's. Vote for the best 30 questions or something so we don't overwhelm him or repeat ourselves. We have that HUGE list of questions, maybe we all list our top 3 and those get whittled down by the rest of the community? You can't put a poll in a comment, can you?

Another one for the forums, do you mean? Hm. I dont think we need to "collect our thoughts" do we? We didn't do it before. And more people were pleased when they all got ask their own individual questions. I'd not like it as much if everyone just voted on 30 questions to ask (per all of us, not per person), especially since there are likely hundreds of questions people have--thousands, maybe even.

One question per person seems like a smart limitation. He'd be here all day if it was any more.

The only issue I can see is that people might create multiple accounts for multiple questions, but most 17th Sharders tend to be rather good on not doing that sort of thing.

It took a few days last time, I think. We didn't really mind... but one question per person sounds a bit slow. Few.

I doubt they'd make multiple accounts. well, most people anyway. Some likely will. But probably not too many.

Edited by Stroniax

Another one for the forums, do you mean? Hm. I dont think we need to "collect our thoughts" do we? We didn't do it before. And more people were pleased when they all got ask their own individual questions. I'd not like it as much if everyone just voted on 30 questions to ask (per all of us, not per person), especially since there are likely hundreds of questions people have--thousands, maybe even.

He's not going to answer thousands of questions though.... not even hundreds. That is the point. And I didn't mean we all vote on a big list, I meant every user give there top three or four, and we vote fore each user's best. It would work like a typical signing. If he gave everyone time to ask their thousands of questions, he wouldn't get through one person. SO it's got to be limited, and If we collected our thoughts, we wouldn't see people posting the same question or asking something we already know. It might be a good tool for us in general to learn what others know. 

Aside from fairness, Brandon isn't going to sign up for a night of everyone asking every question they can think of. Best to make it inviting for him and not say "here's a wall of text, answer everything you can." Let's be fair to him as well.

Offer questions based on forum reputation points? You're allowed 1 question per 50 or 100 points or something of the sort. Then you're basically giving the questions to the most active and involved members, rewarding their contributions to the site with a return of sorts. You'd also tend to get a lot of well informed questions, and questions with interesting answers.

Offer questions based on forum reputation points? You're allowed 1 question per 50 or 100 points or something of the sort. Then you're basically giving the questions to the most active and involved members, rewarding their contributions to the site with a return of sorts. You'd also tend to get a lot of well informed questions, and questions with interesting answers.

No. I do not think that is a good idea. Reputation points should not have an impact on this. Nobody should be effectively penalized because they joined the site later, or don't crack as many jokes.

And I am someone that would benefit from such a system.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

I don't see it as penalizing, I see it as way to give precedence to the most valued members of the community. While the date you joined does have an impact, if you look at the top rep posters you will see that most of them are not joke crackers, but thoughtful contributors. Kurkistan, Argent, Moogle, Weiry, the majority of the admins, and many other thoughtful people are up at the top. I don't think anyone contend that they made their way to the top by jokes.

It doesn't take long to get a few reputation points either - Awesomeness has an astounding 850 rep, and has been here only four months. I myself have 250 rep and have been here only three months. EMTrevor has 333 rep and has been here only a single month. Gathering 50 rep is only saying "You've been here and active a couple weeks", really.

Of course, big downside - if you start giving out the ability to answer questions based on rep, there will be people who start abusing the rep system with fake accounts and such to get questions. So it's probably not a good idea regardless. Still, I don't think it's fair at all to say rep is based off tenure and jokes when you have only to look at the top 50 rep list to see that there are both lots of newcomers and that it is populated with mostly thoughtful people. And that's just the top 50 - there are plenty of others with 50+ rep.

I'm going to say definitely not to the more rep = more questions bit. It's actually rather skewed in the favor of those who have been active in the elimination games. Rep is handed around there far more than it is anywhere else on the site.

Also, strictly from what we learned about Brandon doing Q&A's here, doing a Q&A will actually help de-lurk people, as they have to make an account to ask a question, which I definitely want to encourage.

I know the point is mute now, but I just wanted to explain myself here.

I don't see it as penalizing, I see it as way to give precedence to the most valued members of the community. While the date you joined does have an impact, if you look at the top rep posters you will see that most of them are not joke crackers, but thoughtful contributors. Kurkistan, Argent, Moogle, Weiry, the majority of the admins, and many other thoughtful people are up at the top. I don't think anyone contend that they made their way to the top by jokes.

It doesn't take long to get a few reputation points either - Awesomeness has an astounding 850 rep, and has been here only four months. I myself have 250 rep and have been here only three months. EMTrevor has 333 rep and has been here only a single month. Gathering 50 rep is only saying "You've been here and active a couple weeks", really.

Of course, big downside - if you start giving out the ability to answer questions based on rep, there will be people who start abusing the rep system with fake accounts and such to get questions. So it's probably not a good idea regardless. Still, I don't think it's fair at all to say rep is based off tenure and jokes when you have only to look at the top 50 rep list to see that there are both lots of newcomers and that it is populated with mostly thoughtful people. And that's just the top 50 - there are plenty of others with 50+ rep.

I wasn't trying to say that most of the people with lots of reputation got it by being funny, not that I have anything against a good joke. However cracking jokes and being funny in general can earn you a lot of upvotes and it is only 1 example of ways of a reputation based system being strongly in the favour of those who have done or been involved in certain things. As Rubix mentioned the elimination games are a prime example of this, I have gained a lot of rep from there, as have many others. Direct theory crafting is actually one of the slower ways to gain reputation.

The reputation system is inherently unbalanced and that isn't really a problem, however basing privileges off it wouldn't work well.

Why did you say "I want to explain myself here" and quote smeone else? Or... is that you...?

He's not going to answer thousands of questions though.... not even hundreds. That is the point. And I didn't mean we all vote on a big list, I meant every user give there top three or four, and we vote fore each user's best. It would work like a typical signing. If he gave everyone time to ask their thousands of questions, he wouldn't get through one person. SO it's got to be limited, and If we collected our thoughts, we wouldn't see people posting the same question or asking something we already know. It might be a good tool for us in general to learn what others know.

Aside from fairness, Brandon isn't going to sign up for a night of everyone asking every question they can think of. Best to make it inviting for him and not say "here's a wall of text, answer everything you can." Let's be fair to him as well.

If I were to go to a signing, I'd pull a Wayne to ask all my questions. ;) or would i...?

However, i agree that we should post our questions so we don't double-up or ask answered questions.

And I've been here for a while--and yeah, I was inactive for a while--but regardless I have only 80- or 90-some rep at this point, though.

And some people just dont have a mind for theories... and some people keep to themselves more than others.

People already do that. Edited by Stroniax

People already do that.

Not people who don't want their posting abilities to be restricted or just banned altogether.

I'm definitely on the side of the one or two questions per person rule. Last time we tried to rely on people keeping themselves to a few questions and there were a number of people who simply went over the top and asked far too many questions. Brandon ended up running out of time for people at the end. I think a more formal rule would serve us well.